The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2009 RAGBRAI

Obama Lemonade near Henderson

John Scherle squeezed a little politics into the lemonade he sold on his farm near Henderson. According to the signs he posted for “Hope-y, Change-y Obama Lemonade,” with special “class warfare prices” that depend on each customer’s income. Those who make less than $25,000 per year pay 25 cents, while those in the upper income brackets pay a full five bucks.

lemonade

The profits will help Scherle’s grandson pay off the federal deficit in 2030, according to one sign.“We don’t care if we sell much,” Scherle said. “We’re just getting the message across.”

It seemed to be working, but the message was open to interpretation. Some riders cheered or gave Scherle a thumbs up; others pedaled by with a grumble.

— Michael Morain, filing from the Henderson fire station

51 Comments

jpmftr, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:50 am

Well, Dan. Glad to see you’re still part of the uninformed masses. It was Clinton policy that got us into this mess. But of course you don’t watch any real news and know that the Bush Admin. spent a lot of time trying to correct this problems, but your Democrat congress wouldn’t play ball.

Barb, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:09 am

Since when did RAGBRAI become a political trail..

sutliffdeaf, Aug 9, 2009 at 4:32 pm

seeking pick city in next year at sioux city to dubuque.

Cycling Coach, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

How did I not see this last summer!? The more I read about you guys the more I’ve got to fly across the pond with my bike and get me some Ragbrai loving! Soon my friends, soon!

JimJim, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Was this lemonade subsidised by the federal government as are most farmers?(and yes I come from a farm family, thank you.) Did he use lemonade check off dollars to pay for his advertising? Has he gotten any deficiency payments for bad crops?

Just checking.

How bout getting the government out of EVERYTHING except defence.

john anderson, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:36 pm

get a clue, people. socialism is great! i have been to cuba, and everyone there is happy as a clam. it is criminal to have a car when the poor people of the world must walk. my bike is a 1947 schwinn that i got out of a dumpster. i never, ever use electricity or hydrocarbons, and i eat only my own flesh. recycle! get it? obama is god. and palin does NOT get me horny, no way.

Jimbo, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I am embarrassed for all Iowans – good people.

Jimmy C, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I am truly embarrassed for all Iowans over this smuck.

Linda Hayek, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:52 am

Here’s hoping for a little less political tension along the way this year!!

marilyn, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:54 am

WISH I WOULD HAVE SEEN IT… I WOULD HAVE STOPPED.. GOOD FOR HIM

marilyn, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:57 am

oh, by the way it is spelled “schmuck”