RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014

Sharing Her Grandpa’s Love of RAGBRAI

Every so often I receive an e-mail that really hits home.  It came from a young lady who just lost her Grandpa after battling cancer and Alzheimer’s for years.  She wanted to share her memories of the times she spend with her Grandpa and his love for RAGBRAI.  I often say that RAGBRAI is more than just a silly old bike ride…  that is certainly true for the Nelson Family.

I rode my first RAGBRAI when I was 17 and last year was my 10th.  Since I was little, my family has participated in RAGBRAI.  Everyone from my uncles, aunts, cousins, and parents have all joined together in July to ride across our home state, and none of it would have ever come to be without my Grandpa, Dave Nelson.  My Grandpa was the first in our family to bring up RAGBRAI and he got my dad and step mom to go with him nearly 19 years ago on their first trip across Iowa.  After that the tradition of RAGBRAI began, and when I was old enough, I joined our team too.  We are Norwegian, so our team is naturally called Team Uffda in honor of our heritage.

Not many kids are so lucky to spend time with their grandparents, let alone ride their bikes across a state with them…..several times, but I am fortunate enough to say that I rode next to my grandfather as we crossed the fields of Iowa, and ate our fair share of rhubarb pie too.  I remember him once saying to me as we chugged up one of the route’s long hills on my first RAGBRAI, “Just spin.  As long as we’re pedaling, we’re moving forward.”  He wasn’t the fastest guy out on the road, but by golly, Grandpa pedaled every last mile clear up until he turned 79 years old.  I am so very thankful for those RAGBRAI memories with my Grandpa.

On Wednesday, April 18th, my Grandpa passed away.  He had cancer and also suffered from Alzheimer’s, and after 5 years of fighting, it was time for him to done with that battle.  Even in the last few months of his life, my Grandpa’s fondest memories that he shared were so often those memories from RAGBRAI.  And even when he couldn’t remember what he had done an hour before, he could still remember specific details about most of the pass through towns in Iowa that he’d even gone through.  When he could no longer speak well, all it would take to see him light up and maybe get a couple words out would be the mention of RAGBRAI or pie.  He simply loved RAGBRAI with all his heart.

This year, in honor of my Grandpa, my family is of course, riding RAGBRAI, but we will each also take turns riding my Grandpa’s bike across Iowa once more.  Since speed and weight weren’t much of a concern to Grandpa, we do not plan to make any alternations to his bike, such as remove the radio mounted on the handle bars or the giant pack over his rear tire (with three air pumps in it because everyone knows that two simply isn’t enough lol).  We will ride Grandpa’s bike just as he would have and dip his tire in the Mississippi when we get to the other side.

My sharing the story of my Grandpa Nelson with you isn’t to get you to print anything in the paper, but I was hoping that in some way you might be able to help share my Grandpa’s love of this ride with others.  As you might guess, my family is still trying to cope with the loss of my Grandpa, and all I can think to do right now is to honor him in whatever way I can, and sharing his story with you and the RAGBRAI community is one of those ways.  I don’t know if you would be willing to post something on the website about him, in which case I’d be happy to email more photos, but in case you were needing an idea of something for the RAGBRAI page, I just wanted to put that out there.

My family appreciates greatly all you and everyone else who organizes this wonderful event every year do to make RAGBRAI great.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.  I have attached pictures of my Grandpa and one of our team for you.

Sincerely,

Krissy Nelson
Gretna, Nebraska

David Nelson was originally from the Lake Mills area, then moved to Storm Lake where he was a funeral director for over 50 years.  He and his wife moved to their vacation home in Spirit Lake upon retirement.  At the visitation, Grandpa’s Team Uffda jersey and his bike were on display.

The Nelson Family is hoping to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s disease by sharing their grandpa’s story.  It is a disease that dismantles and kills thousands every year and they hope to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s research. They plan to have a sign on the back of grandpa’s bike to let you know how you can help support the cause.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Nelson Family.

T.J. Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI Director

34 Responses on “Sharing Her Grandpa’s Love of RAGBRAI

Barbara McLean

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Krissy…I met you as a little girl while visiting your Grandparents at the funeral home. Your Grampa, Dave, worked with my Grampa, Morton. I adored mine as much. You are so dear to bring attention to this sad disease and I know that Dave would be so proud of you and the rest of the family Nelson, for making this year a tribute to all the years he so faithfully rode across your beautiful state. I was fortunate enough to see the group ride through Storm Lake in 2010. What an awesome sight to see ALL those riders! I even had a spagetti dinner at the Methodist church with some! I will never forget it. I so admired both your Grandparents and am so pleased to hear you all will share the trip and ride his bike. I know that would put a big smile on his always happy face. Blessings to you all and have a wonderful journey across Iowa 2012!

Krissy Nelson

June 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

@Barbara- Thank you so much for that note. I truly apprciate it, and will share it with the rest of my family as well. I apologize that I’m just now sending a response back to you. I’ve been out of town a lot lately and haven’t had much time, other than for work purposes, to get on the computer. I hope you are all well and hope to see you again sometime in the future. Take good care, and thank you again for the thoughfulness. :)

Jacque Otto Peterson

June 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm

To the great Dave Nelson family – What a beautiful tribute this is to Dave, your Grandpa, Krissy! It also is a tribute to the influence Dave’s zest for life and committment to core family values to love and care for each other had on his family. This strength reverberated into the community, their huge score of friends and business associates. Living life to the fullest is really what it’s all about. Thanks to Dave for teaching us all!

We thank each of you for who you are and what you represent and how you demonstrate to all who come to know you, how great life truly is. It is wonderful all the opportunities RAGBRAI offers so many from so many places. Cheers to the “TEAM UFDA” and “their Ride for Dad!”

From Jacque, who is so blessed to have shared your lives for so many years!

Jacque Otto Peterson

June 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm

There is just one more thought that has to be said, “We all will always remember Dave’s deep belly laugh and his smile!”

Some poeple think angels are all girls who play harps. We know of a male who plays a tuba!

Gina Kaufman

July 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

Krissy, We’ve never met but my parents and your grandparents were nearly life-long friends. One year when RAGBRAI went through Tama the team stayed with them.
Last year was my 1st RAGBRAI at age 49. I loved it so much my husband and I bought a bus this year and have 10 riders forming “Team Jazzed”. I hope to meet you somewhere along the route!

Krissy Nelson

July 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

@Gina I hope to cross paths with you while on RAGBRAI. Thank you for the note.
@Jacque Thank you so much for that message. I really appreciate it, as does my family. My dad and I loved your line about the male angel who plays the tuba too! :) SO TRUE!

Krissy Nelson

July 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

To keep everyone in the loop regarding my family’s plans to honor my Grandpa and raise money for the Alzheimer’s Association, please visit our Team Uffda blog: http://TeamUffda.blogspot.com.

Thanks!

Tom Pfarr

January 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Krissy,
My sisters and I spent the night with your family in 2012 and heard your grandfathers story first hand. I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed the air conditioning or the stories of the previous Ragbria’s. Those few hours we all spent together were wonderful and I cannot thank you enough for your support and friendship.

Team Tommy and the Goddesses

tickets air flight

March 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I know this web site offers quality based articles or reviews and additional data, is there any other web site which offers these kinds of stuff in quality?| tickets air flight http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

agate cameos jewellery

March 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing such a pleasant opinion, paragraph is pleasant, thats why i have read it completely| agate cameos jewellery http://www.goldmemoriesforever.com

tkff

March 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I delight in, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye| tkff http://www.takeload.com

foto nunti

March 23, 2013 at 3:20 am

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Good job.| foto nunti http://madvideo.ro/fotograf-de-nunta/

AlternativestoGooglese

March 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Many thanks for penning this exceptional put up..Liked your content. Please do retain writing Alternatives to Google search engine http://asdasghdsdfs5hf.com

Virgilio Chai

June 7, 2013 at 6:35 am

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. It’s the most common cause of dementia — a group of brain disorders that results in the loss of intellectual and social skills. These changes are severe enough to interfere with day-to-day life. :`..”

My personal blog site
<http://www.caramoantourpackage.com

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• RAGBRAI's biggest liar tells riders he had founded Marble Rock

• Drone spies on RAGBRAI at Marble Rock

• Video: College spirit showdown on RAGBRAI

Today riders wear jerseys in spirit for their college on RAGBRAI.

• Video: Show me your wheels: Bamboo Bike

Vanessa Fixmer-Oraiz explains that she helped build a bamboo-frame bicycle to ride in RAGBRAI to raise awareness about the effects of global climate change on rural bamboo-craft communities in the ...

• Video: Show me your wheels: Skateboarding across Iowa

Ryan, from Des Moines, explains his passion for longboarding and what drove him to skate across the state.

• Video: The Game Of Iowa played on RAGBRAI

Elizabeth Reetz from Team Archaeology plays the vintage "Game of Iowa", a roll-and-move trivia game with questions about Iowa, at East Park in Mason City.

• Video: Joe Sixpack rates RAGBRAI craft beer

Beer columnist Don "Joe Sixpack" Russell from Philly rides his first RAGBRAI.

• Video: Fossils bring scenic reprieve from corn fields

Riders dig for fossils at Fossil Prairie Park at the entrance for Rockford.

• Lost cash? Mason City police may have it

Mason City police say a "fairly large amount" of money was turned into the department Thursday morning.

• Video: RAGBRAI fossil hunt in Rockford

• Bill Wentworth of Marble Rock told riders he founded the town -- you know, back in the 1800s.

• Elizabeth Reetz from Team Archaeology plays the vintage "Game of Iowa" at East Park in Mason City.

• Ryan Francois, from Des Moines, explains his passion for longboarding and what drove him to skate across the state.

• Vanessa Fixmer-Oraiz explains that she helped build a bamboo-frame bicycle to ride in RAGBRAI to raise awareness about the effects of global climate change on rural bamboo-craft communities in the Philippines.

• Today riders wear jerseys in spirit for their college on RAGBRAI.

• Bill Bucklen's remote-controlled drone shot photos of RAGBRAI riders as they pedaled through Marble Rock.

• Riders dig for fossils at Fossil Prairie Park at the entrance for Rockford.

• Riders can take home their own Devonian fossil from the Fossil & Prairie Park Preserve in Rockford.

• Experience the morning RAGBRAI excitement in Nora Springs.

• RAGBRAI riders show us their wheels.