The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2013 RAGBRAI

New RIDE RIGHT Video Released

8 Comments

Pdiddly, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:23 am

Nice Job and well done. Hopefully folks will pay attention to the subect matter!

phil, May 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm

A person CAN drink too much water. That’s bad advice.

pat, May 2, 2013 at 8:55 am

Thanks, great informative video for a first time rider.

Michael McClellen, May 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Excellent advise video. After riding 37 rides I cannot stress enough ride a straight line always announce when you are stopping or passing. And please get completely of the road when you stop. I have never been in an accident because of riding defensively and always on the look out for problems. Ride safe see ya on the road.

Bill Stephens, May 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Just wondering, since I don’t live in Iowa, if the hand signal for turning right is different there.

In the video, there is a right turn being signalled by the rider pointing with their right arm extended to the right.

Where I live now, and where I grew up in Illinois, the right turn is signalled by the left arm being turned up at 90 degrees from the elbow. That way, cars passing on the left can see you, and cars waiting at an intersection can know that you are turning right, and not just pointing at something on the shoulder of the road.

Just curious. Thanks.

Al Brody, May 1, 2014 at 8:53 am

Great job on the video! About drinking water, I agree you won’t be able to drink too much water on RAGBRAI, but you can flush out too many electrolytes. A mention of how to avoid cramping and be aware of electrolyte levels would be prudent.

Al Brody, May 1, 2014 at 8:54 am

SCOTT WORKMAN, May 1, 2014 at 11:27 am

Only the ad preceding the video will play this morning (using Google Chrome browser) 🙁