Boone Cyclist Killed Training for RAGBRAI

The thoughts and prayers of RAGBRAI are with the family, teammates and friends of Paul Ladd who was killed while riding his bike in Boone while training for RAGBRAI this week.  You will be in our thoughts as we ride RAGBRAI next month.

The daughter of Paul Ladd reached out to us to remind everyone to be safe out there!  I think her own words say it best….

My name is Allyson Ladd and RAGBRAI is a tradition that is near and dear to my heart. After riding the entire course in 2010, I convinced my dad to participate. He rode last year with Team Navy and absolutely loved it. He was planning to ride again this year with his team.

This week, my Dad was involved in a fatal accident while riding his bike (see Des Moines Register article below), training for the event. He was struck by a car from behind and died on impact from severe head trauma.

I understand this is a heavy and difficult matter to discuss, but I was wondering if you could please post something on your site and/or Facebook in regards to bike safety?  My Dad was an extremely cautious rider who made every possible attempt to make himself visible on the road, but it’s always a nice reminder to hear what we can do to protect ourselves from vehicles who don’t pay attention to cyclists — especially this time of year when there are so many of us!

Additionally, Team Navy and other riders will be wearing these jerseys on day two to honor my Dad and any other individual who has had their life taken from them while training for the event. If you could please spread the word, it would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you for your tremendous work. You should be extremely proud of the wonderful event that you have made a “must-do” Iowa (and world!) tradition.

Allyson Ladd

Let’s all be safe out there!

Boone Cyclist Killed Training for RAGBRAI

byJoel Aschbrenner, Des Moines Register

The Boone man hit and killed while riding his bike Monday was retired Marine colonel who was training for RAGBRAI, family members said.

Paul L. Ladd, 59, the director of the Boone County veterans affairs office, was finishing a 40-mile ride when he was struck by a car, said his wife Debbie Ladd.

Ladd was preparing to ride in the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa for the second time with a group of veterans called Team Navy. The team plans to honor Ladd during the second day of the week-long ride by wearing jerseys reading “3 Feet Please”, a motto advocating for vehicles to give cyclists a safe berth on the road.

Safety was important to Ladd whether on his bicycle or his Harley Davidson, Debbie Ladd said.

“That morning, I kissed him goodbye and said ‘Be safe,’” she said. “He said, ‘I’m always safe.’”

The accident occurred shortly before 7 a.m. on a county road north of Boone. Ladd died at the scene.

Police said that Christopher Fawcett of Stratford was driving the car and that charges were pending an ongoing investigation.

A native Iowan who grew up on a farm near Jacksonville, Ladd served in the Marines for 28 years until retiring in 2004. For the past eight years he had lead the county veterans affairs office, which helps veterans access their benefits.

25 Responses on “Boone Cyclist Killed Training for RAGBRAI

Rollie Sumwalt

July 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

So, so sad. Our prayers to the Paul family.

Durk Buffington

July 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Semper Fidelis, Col Ladd.

Brian Will

July 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Paul was my Delta Chi brother. I remember him with much respect and appreciate his guidance while at UNI. I’m also an avid cyclist so his honor will ride with me on this RAGBRAI. ~Kimball!

Brett D. McLain

July 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I am retired USN Paul was retired USMC I ride a Goldwing and Paul rode a harley Paul was a republican and I am a Democrat. Some how we were the best of friends/my counter part in Boone County as a CVSO County Veterans Service Officer/ESGR / IACCVSO / NACVSO and American Legion. Paul was on a mission to make life better for veterans. I miss you my bother RIP I willl carry on the mission to help Veterans of Story and Boone County. And to continue to ride RAGBRAI each year. 2013 is ride number 13 for me. Brett McLain Retired USN CPO. Thank you Team Navy for all you do for Veterans.

Randy Henriksen

July 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Paul was my second cousin…and dear friend since we were young boys in J-ville…he was 2 years older…but we maintained a life long friendship…which I am am so blessed for his fight for us Veterans..I hope each member of Team Navy will Dip their Tire a second time for Paul….Thank you ALL for serving….God Bless and be safe out there

• Patrol: Investigation into fatal bike crash to take a month; no charges yet

An investigation to determine whether any criminal charges should be filed in a vehicle-bicycle collision that killed a cyclist Sunday could take over a month, said Sgt. Nathan Ludwig, spokesman ...

• What to look for Tuesday on RAGBRAI

The third day of RAGBRAI 2016 concludes in this year's smallest overnight town.

• Riders share ghost encounters at ax-murder site

The crime was more than 100 years ago, but the spookiness remains.

• This RAGBRAI double rainbow brightened a day tinged with sadness

Many riders shared images of the rainbows.

• NPR's No Pie Refused carries on with just one fork

Politics beckons most of the members of you're-riding-with NPR, No Pie Refused.

• RAGBRAI's haircut king with a lizard on his head

"It's only hair, is how I've always put it," Joe Vize shrugged.

• Guardian angels of RAGBRAI are here to work

"We signed up to serve," the airmen say.

• UPDATE: Driver charged in dragging of critically injured rider

The truck left a driveway and hit the man late Sunday, according to the Iowa State Patrol.

• Colleague: Fallen cyclist 'lived life the right way'

Wayne Ezell was killed by a pickup truck that struck him from behind as he rode his bike.

• 11 photos: Scenes from the gravel loop

It was a rocky detour to the Irish capital of southwest Iowa, Imogene.

• Just an Iowa sunrise and bicyclists.

• Skies will stay mostly clear tonight Tuesday will be another mainly sunny day with highs in the mid to upper 80s. A few more clouds are expected on Wednesday as a shift in the pattern begins to take place.

• Walk through the campground and driveway where authorities say that RAGBRAI rider James Foley was hit and dragged in Shenandoah.

• RAGBRAI riders take a break from climbing hills to slide down one during the second day of of the annual ride across Iowa.

• Jacob Sikes of Kearney, Neb., stayed at the Villisca Axe Murder House several years ago. He's back for RAGBRAI -- despite the outcome of that initial visit.

• David Chivers, president of Register Media, grew up in Des Moines and says he's wanted to ride RAGBRAI since he was 12 or 13.

• Riders are greeted by bull riding and a unique bike sculpture in Corning, Iowa.

• Joe Vize of Dubuque shows off his lizard hairdo.

• Riders take on the steepest day of RAGBRAI with 4,000 feet of climb.

• T.J. Juskiewicz, director of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, discusses the death of a rider early Sunday west of Glenwood just as the annual ride was beginning.