RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015

RAGBRAI news team

RAGBRAI iOS app puts the ride just a tap away

There are 10 days to go until RAGBRAI. Ten days to get familiar with RAGBRAI’s just-released app for iOS devices, stuffed with features to aid cyclists along their way — whether or not they have Internet access. The free app is available for download from the iTunes app store.

Take a guided video tour with RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz:

Here are some highlights:

MAPS FOR ANY SITUATION

Check your progress with Google maps showing your location; when there’s no signal, route maps are stored on your device for retrieval anytime.

OWN THE OVERNIGHT TOWNS

Link to entertainment listings, town websites and social media — and tap a button to bring up the weather forecast

PHOTO AND VIDEO GALLERIES

You can’t see everything. Catch up on highlights in constantly updated galleries — and you can also upload your own shots

16 Responses on “RAGBRAI iOS app puts the ride just a tap away

Ron

July 11, 2013 at 7:27 am

What about the Android version that accounts for 70% of global phones?

Jim

July 11, 2013 at 7:43 am

Heh..we don’t count. I have 5 android devices at home and honestly, I have friends converting to Android even though they are highly invested in iTunes.

We’ll see…they have a week..maybe they’ll bring us something.

Ron B

July 11, 2013 at 8:33 am

My first thought was we now will have even more riders looking at their phones instead of the road.

toadhead

July 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

ANDROID?!?!

Snosecret

July 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

Seriously?!! iPhone only???

heather

July 11, 2013 at 10:44 am

I have android and have managed many years without staring at my cell phone all week. I feel a bit sorry for those who do. Please keep your eyes up!

Bob Spangle

July 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Really? What about the other 60% which are Android users? Oh, I guess they dont count.

Chaz

July 11, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Android? What about Windows Phone?

linda

July 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I can’t find the ragbrai app on my phone…what am I doing wrong

Kory

July 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

To date, Android has 52% market share, compared to iOS at 41.9%. Why are you building for the minority?

Karl

July 13, 2013 at 4:34 pm

And no Android by Google, but good thing they are using Google maps!

Shalene

July 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

Apple only:( Its a great app but I am not taking my Ipad on my bike my phone is not an IPhone so bummed

Matthew

July 16, 2013 at 10:52 am

Please roll out an Android version before RAGBRAI. The crowd has spoken!

John

July 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Android just copies whatever the iPhone does, so there should be an Android app in a couple of years. :P

Seriously riders, it’s nothing more than an iOS shell around the RAGBRAI website. Not a big deal. You can get the same information and maps by going to http://www.ragbrai.com on your smartphone. Or you can cry about being second class citizens. Your choice. :-)

classifieds, free ads, free classifieds

October 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I feel that you simply can do with a few percent to drive the message house a bit, however other than that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

Cierra

January 28, 2014 at 6:41 am

Moalboal is a popular dive holiday destination in Island, Philippines.

Also visit my blog all inclusive resorts (Cierra)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Lost and Found on RAGBRAI®

Did you get home from RAGBRAI with less than what you started with?  Lost wallets, drivers licenses, and credit cards have already been returned to their owners.  We have several ...

• Merchandise Returns and Exchanges

Want to return or exchange an item you purchased on RAGBRAI? Here's how.

• Meet the woman who rode RAGBRAI in combat boots

Riders handed her cash from spandex pockets and small-town American Legions put up tip jars to help along the way. So far, Hameister’s raised more than $1,700 for the campaign, ...

• RAGBRAI Reflections with John Karras

by John Karras, Grampa RAGBRAI A strange, but predictable, thing happened this year to Ann and I on our way to our umpteenth time to ride RAGBRAI–we were physically unable to ...

• Rock Valley's Jaydn Faber Wins the RAGBRAI Kid's Art Contest

The children of the RAGBRAI XLII overnight communities were invited to participate in the annual RAGBRAI Kids’ Art Contest.  The contest called for students in kindergarten through fifth grade to ...

• RAGBRAI Training: Don’t put your bike away now!

Well, another RAGBRAI is done and in the books. I hope you enjoyed yourself and I also hope this blogs gave you some advice that helped you prepare adequately for ...

• Top 10 things we'll remember about RAGBRAI XLII

After 42 years, each ride can seem pretty much like the one before -- except when they don't.

• RAGBRAI celebrity Taco Johnson helps dad, son connect

How to make the boy understand and simultaneously stay better connected with him throughout the week? Eureka! The universal, ageless antidote for the doldrums: Legos.

• Beer ride: Microbrews catch up on RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI has a reputation for being awash in light beer from corporate breweries. Yet more craft brewers are training palates at the state's biggest rolling party.

• Conquered: What cyclists defeated to finish RAGBRAI

This was only my fourth time on the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, and yet I struggle to conjure an appropriate description of this bizarre, beloved pilgrimage that ...

• A group of friends from Canada spent the week on RAGBRAI and recount their best moments.

• As RAGBRAI XLII comes to an end, friends from California talk about the emotion behind dipping their tires into the Mississippi River at the end of the ride.

• Riders react at the Guttenberg dip site.

• Riders stopped for photos on a bluff overlooking the mighty Mississippi River at Guttenberg.

• Iowan "Bachelorette" competitor Chris Soules greets riders in Strawberry Point

• Former Iowa Hawkeye and NFL tight end Dallas Clark talks about his second RAGBRAI and his hope of someday moving his family back to Iowa.

• The LeBeaus are known as royalty in Iowa and for their funky socks!

• Jason Pardie, of Muscatine, is participating in his sixth RAGBRAI on a unicycle.

• The LeBeaus are known as royalty on RAGBRAI and for their funky socks.

• A Dutch woman describes the differences of biking in the Netherlands and biking in Iowa.