Training blog

by Coach David Ertl

I don’t know about where you live, but here in Iowa winter rages on without much of a break. With the announcement of the RAGBRAI route, a lot of folks are thinking about getting back on their bikes.  But what should you do if mother nature doesn’t cooperate?  This blog provides some suggestions to consider while waiting for the snow to melt and temperatures to rise above freezing.

Indoor cycling:  The reason most of us enjoy riding our bikes is because we like to be outside, breathe fresh air, feel the wind in our face and travel through the countryside.  None of this occurs when riding inside.  But indoors trainers do have a place.  It is a way to pedal away when you can’t get outside.  The newer indoor trainers provide all the resistance you need or want so your legs and heart can get a good workout.  You can practice your balance and learn to ride rollers.  Or you can participate in spin classes where a class instructor will push you through a ‘ride’.  If you are going to ride indoors, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t really focus on long rides or building endurance inside.  It’s simply too boring.  So instead, limit yourself to an hour max and really work hard to get the benefit from shorter but intense rides that get your heart rate up and give your legs a workout.

Other aerobic activity:  Because cycling is an aerobic form of exercise, any other exercise that can get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time can be beneficial.  Examples include walking, hiking, running and swimming.  Of course, if winter weather is keeping you off your bike, this is a great excuse to get on your snow shoes or cross country skis. These activities can really rev up your heart and muscles and let you get outside for periods of time longer than you could ride outside or inside.

Ride outside anyway: Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t ride. The cold weather clothes have greatly improved and it is possible to ride for an hour or more outside when the thermometer dips down to or even below the freezing point.  Properly dressed you will be amazed at how you can ride comfortably when it is cold out.  It helps to ride where you are protected from the wind, such as in wooded areas, as wind chill can make really cold temperatures dangerous.  One option is to ride a mountain bike or fatbike as the slower speed will reduce the self-induced wind chill.  Riding on dirt or gravel roads will give your legs a workout while riding at slower speeds.  Or, better yet, hit some single track in the woods.  The trees will protect you from the wind and you will work up a sweat even below the freezing mark.  It is possible to ride even with a couple of inches of snow.  However, unless you have studded tires, there isn’t much you can do in icy conditions except get out your ice skates, which is another good form of exercise.

Cross training:  The winter is also a good time to try other activities.  When you take part in an activity other than cycling, it is called cross training. You are working other muscle groups and helping to build a more balanced body.  For example, doing some strength training and taking aerobics or boot camp classes will work other parts of your body.   Of course, skiing, snow shoeing, skating, running and swimming are also forms of cross training.  But consider other activities as well such as yoga and pilates. You might even want to do some other forms of competitive activity such as basketball or racquetball.  Use the time off the bike to experiment with other forms of exercise.  This will help make you a more well-rounded person in terms of strength and fitness and also mentally.  The main thing is to keep your body moving, in new and different ways.

You have all summer to ride, so use this opportunity in the winter to try something new and different.  Before you know it spring will be here and you can get back out and ride to your heart’s (and legs) content.

Coach David Ertl

David Ertl is a USA Cycling Level 1 (Elite) Coach. He coaches the Des Moines Cycle Club Race Team and is a national head coach for the the JDRF Ride To Cure Diabetes and he coaches individual cyclists. He also provides cycling training plans and ebooks at his website: http://www.CyclesportCoaching.com . He can be contacted at coach@cyclesportcoaching.com.  Follow him @Cyclecoach on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CyclesportCoaching.

17 Responses on “RAGBRAI Training: How to Start Preparing for RAGBRAI While Waiting for Spring to Arrive

Roger Peirce

February 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

The temps have been pretty good to us in Texas.

Linda

February 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Good tips, I’m hoping to participate in this years ride.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Born an Iowa Hawkeye trapped in MN, will be a first time rider. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Shauna

March 11, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Do you have a daily training schedule that leads up to the ride? Like many marathon training websites have.

Profile photo of TJ

TJ

March 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm

This is last year’s plan… http://ragbrai.com/2013/05/12/ragbrai-training-training-plan-in-excel-file/

tim richardson

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I understand Ragbrai is not a race – however, the distances involved are not extreme. I have to ask, is there an ‘A’ group that goes off the front each day? What are the typical speeds involved? I’d like to submit an application to come up.

I like to do group riding for speed and thrills, not conversation. I’m concerned that this is more of a touring ride than a peloton.

Thanks,

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thanks,

Tim

Profile photo of TJ

TJ

March 29, 2014 at 5:16 am

Definitely not a race and no a group. You ride at own pace. If looking just for speed RAGBRAI is not for you

tim richardson

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thanks,

Tim

• David Ertl Returns as RAGBRAI Training Coach!

Here it is 2016 and the RAGBRAI XLIV route has been announced. Once again, I’ll be back as your RAGBRAI online coach to help answer your questions and help ...

• RAGBRAI 2016: Route heads to scenic southern Iowa

Don’t let perceptions fool you. The XLIV RAGBRAI course will lead cyclists across the state’s scenic southern terrain, but it’s not as daunting as ...

• Honor RAGBRAI creators with a statue

The amorphous summertime spree known as RAGBRAI is beautiful and revolutionary precisely because it’s in perpetual motion. Before “Star Wars.” Before anybody cared about ...

• Bacon Biking Fever Returns!

Ride for El Cured! The third annual BACooN Ride - the world's best bacon biking event - will be Saturday, June 18.

• Download the New RAGBRAI Android App

Check out our all-new Android app! RAGBRAI planning just got easier.

• How to Watch the Route Announcement Live

We can't wait to find out where we'll be spending our summer! Here's how to watch the 2016 RAGBRAI Route Announcement live this Saturday, January 23.

• Guess the Route Contest Results

The RAGBRAI XLIV Guess the Route Contest preliminary results are in! See where your fellow riders think we will go this year.

• Guess the Route Contest for RAGBRAI XLIV is Now Open!

Do you have what it takes? Can you guess the eight overnight towns for RAGBRAI XLIV? Enter the contest and see how close you come!

• Make Plans to Attend the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party

Do you want to know the 2016 RAGBRAI Route? Attend the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party. This year the big event moves to CAPITAL SQUARE (400 Locust Street) for two levels ...

• RAGBRAI Registration for 2016 Is Open!

Been thinking about great Iowa hospitality and all that RAGBRAI has to offer? Relax! Registration is now open for RAGBRAI XLIV!! If you’ve registered before, take note: the username and password ...

• Register reporters talk with RAGBRAI founder John Karras about the announcement that RAGBRAI and the Des Moines Register were working to create a statue of Karras and fellow founder Don Kaul.

• RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz talks about the southern Iowa 2016 route. "We haven't been to some of these towns in a long time!" he says.

• Miss the live RAGBRAI 2016 overnight town announcement show? Join Kyle Munson, Michael Morain as they chat with RAGBRAI riders and towns vying for a spot on this year's route. And learn the overnight towns, of course!

• Watch as RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz unveils the 2016 RAGBRAI overnight towns. The route is heading to the southern cities of Glenwood, Shenandoah, Creston, Leon, Centerville, Ottumwa, Washington and Muscatine.

• Get the details on this year's RAGBRAI overnight towns in southern Iowa.

• Join the "Tr3s" amigos for the 2016 BACooN ride June 18 on the Raccoon River Valley Trail. There will be a plethora of bacon.

• What will the route go for RAGBRAI 2016? Register reporter Kyle Munson and Michael Morain try again to get the early scoop.

• This year's logo theme is "It's time to take a break."

• We made a new camel friend, played human foos-ball and did the required slip and sliding. Relive the 2015 RAGBRAI ride with some of our favorite moments. And get ready for the 2016 route announcement party in January.

• "This is my gift to you guys," said pool owner Bud Henson whose house is right along the RAGBRAI route this year in Moscow, IA.