RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015

Training blog

by Coach David Ertl

I don’t know about where you live, but here in Iowa winter rages on without much of a break. With the announcement of the RAGBRAI route, a lot of folks are thinking about getting back on their bikes.  But what should you do if mother nature doesn’t cooperate?  This blog provides some suggestions to consider while waiting for the snow to melt and temperatures to rise above freezing.

Indoor cycling:  The reason most of us enjoy riding our bikes is because we like to be outside, breathe fresh air, feel the wind in our face and travel through the countryside.  None of this occurs when riding inside.  But indoors trainers do have a place.  It is a way to pedal away when you can’t get outside.  The newer indoor trainers provide all the resistance you need or want so your legs and heart can get a good workout.  You can practice your balance and learn to ride rollers.  Or you can participate in spin classes where a class instructor will push you through a ‘ride’.  If you are going to ride indoors, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t really focus on long rides or building endurance inside.  It’s simply too boring.  So instead, limit yourself to an hour max and really work hard to get the benefit from shorter but intense rides that get your heart rate up and give your legs a workout.

Other aerobic activity:  Because cycling is an aerobic form of exercise, any other exercise that can get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time can be beneficial.  Examples include walking, hiking, running and swimming.  Of course, if winter weather is keeping you off your bike, this is a great excuse to get on your snow shoes or cross country skis. These activities can really rev up your heart and muscles and let you get outside for periods of time longer than you could ride outside or inside.

Ride outside anyway: Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t ride. The cold weather clothes have greatly improved and it is possible to ride for an hour or more outside when the thermometer dips down to or even below the freezing point.  Properly dressed you will be amazed at how you can ride comfortably when it is cold out.  It helps to ride where you are protected from the wind, such as in wooded areas, as wind chill can make really cold temperatures dangerous.  One option is to ride a mountain bike or fatbike as the slower speed will reduce the self-induced wind chill.  Riding on dirt or gravel roads will give your legs a workout while riding at slower speeds.  Or, better yet, hit some single track in the woods.  The trees will protect you from the wind and you will work up a sweat even below the freezing mark.  It is possible to ride even with a couple of inches of snow.  However, unless you have studded tires, there isn’t much you can do in icy conditions except get out your ice skates, which is another good form of exercise.

Cross training:  The winter is also a good time to try other activities.  When you take part in an activity other than cycling, it is called cross training. You are working other muscle groups and helping to build a more balanced body.  For example, doing some strength training and taking aerobics or boot camp classes will work other parts of your body.   Of course, skiing, snow shoeing, skating, running and swimming are also forms of cross training.  But consider other activities as well such as yoga and pilates. You might even want to do some other forms of competitive activity such as basketball or racquetball.  Use the time off the bike to experiment with other forms of exercise.  This will help make you a more well-rounded person in terms of strength and fitness and also mentally.  The main thing is to keep your body moving, in new and different ways.

You have all summer to ride, so use this opportunity in the winter to try something new and different.  Before you know it spring will be here and you can get back out and ride to your heart’s (and legs) content.

Coach David Ertl

David Ertl is a USA Cycling Level 1 (Elite) Coach. He coaches the Des Moines Cycle Club Race Team and is a national head coach for the the JDRF Ride To Cure Diabetes and he coaches individual cyclists. He also provides cycling training plans and ebooks at his website: http://www.CyclesportCoaching.com . He can be contacted at coach@cyclesportcoaching.com.  Follow him @Cyclecoach on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CyclesportCoaching.

17 Responses on “RAGBRAI Training: How to Start Preparing for RAGBRAI While Waiting for Spring to Arrive

Roger Peirce

February 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

The temps have been pretty good to us in Texas.

Linda

February 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Good tips, I’m hoping to participate in this years ride.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Born an Iowa Hawkeye trapped in MN, will be a first time rider. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Shauna

March 11, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Do you have a daily training schedule that leads up to the ride? Like many marathon training websites have.

Profile photo of TJ Juskiewicz

TJ Juskiewicz

March 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm

This is last year’s plan… http://ragbrai.com/2013/05/12/ragbrai-training-training-plan-in-excel-file/

tim richardson

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I understand Ragbrai is not a race – however, the distances involved are not extreme. I have to ask, is there an ‘A’ group that goes off the front each day? What are the typical speeds involved? I’d like to submit an application to come up.

I like to do group riding for speed and thrills, not conversation. I’m concerned that this is more of a touring ride than a peloton.

Thanks,

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thanks,

Tim

Profile photo of TJ Juskiewicz

TJ Juskiewicz

March 29, 2014 at 5:16 am

Definitely not a race and no a group. You ride at own pace. If looking just for speed RAGBRAI is not for you

• Bike MS: Iowa, Saturday, June 27

Don’t just ride, Bike MS! Ride 25, 50 or 75 miles, and celebrate your finish with live music and free beer from Firetrucker Brewery in Ankeny Iowa! Bike MS is unlike any ...

• RIDE RIGHT Safety Tips: TIP #1 The RIGHT Stuff

If you have committed to riding RAGBRAI this year, it all starts with Tip #1, the RIGHT stuff. And when I say stuff, I mean bicycle. Every RAGBRAI ...

• Don’t fly with your bike, have it shipped to RAGBRAI!

If you are flying to the start of RAGBRAI, avoid the hassle and ship your bike.  Any one of these bike shipping companies are ready and able to ship your ...

• RAGBRAI Training: 2015 RAGBRAI Training Plan

Spring is here and it is time to get serious about your preparation for RAGBRAI. It is a mere 15 weeks away so it is time to start building ...

• Dennis DeYoung and the Music of STYX will be Rocking in Hiawatha!

Dennis DeYoung is a founding member of STYX and the lead singer and writer on seven of the bands eight Top Ten Hits. His live concert showcases all the STYX ...

• Don't Wait 'Til the Last Minute - Weeklong Registration Ends April 1!

Want to ride with us all week for RAGBRAI XLIII? The deadline for registration is April 1, just under a week away.

• Weeklong Rider Registration Deadline is April 1

The deadline to register online as a weeklong rider for this year’s RAGBRAI is midnight, April 1.

• View the 2015 Interactive Route Map

Zoom in on the towns and byways for RAGBRAI 2015.

• "Ask a Trooper" Discusses Bike Racks on Vehicles

During a driving vacation out west, I noticed the popularity of bumper-attached bicycle and luggage racks. Are there any rules with these?

• RAGBRAI XLIII route: Unique attractions every few miles

The definitive guide to how riders will get fed and cooled off (oh, and maybe see some important stuff) during RAGBRAI XLIII.

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz points out highlights of the pass-through towns along the route cyclists will follow July 19 to 25, 2015.

• RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz previews the 8 towns that the ride has never touched.

• Tune in to RAGBRAI.com this weekend to be the first to know the details of this year's route. RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz shares when the rookie pass through towns, full route map will be announced.

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz annouces the 2015 overnight towns. Ride will start in Sioux City and end in Davenport.

• The Register's Kyle Munson and Michael Morain attempt to get an early look at the 2015 RAGBRAI route

• We are excited to reveal our new logo for RAGBRAI XLIII and 2015! If you join us on our ride across the state next year, you’ll be sure to see welcoming Iowans, lots of farmland and… well you’ll just have to watch the video to find out.

• Look back on the ride of 2014 in this video highlight reel.

• A group of friends from Canada spent the week on RAGBRAI and recount their best moments.

• As RAGBRAI XLII comes to an end, friends from California talk about the emotion behind dipping their tires into the Mississippi River at the end of the ride.

• Riders react at the Guttenberg dip site.