RAGBRAI XLV Countdown – July 23-29, 2017

Training blog

by Coach David Ertl

I don’t know about where you live, but here in Iowa winter rages on without much of a break. With the announcement of the RAGBRAI route, a lot of folks are thinking about getting back on their bikes.  But what should you do if mother nature doesn’t cooperate?  This blog provides some suggestions to consider while waiting for the snow to melt and temperatures to rise above freezing.

Indoor cycling:  The reason most of us enjoy riding our bikes is because we like to be outside, breathe fresh air, feel the wind in our face and travel through the countryside.  None of this occurs when riding inside.  But indoors trainers do have a place.  It is a way to pedal away when you can’t get outside.  The newer indoor trainers provide all the resistance you need or want so your legs and heart can get a good workout.  You can practice your balance and learn to ride rollers.  Or you can participate in spin classes where a class instructor will push you through a ‘ride’.  If you are going to ride indoors, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t really focus on long rides or building endurance inside.  It’s simply too boring.  So instead, limit yourself to an hour max and really work hard to get the benefit from shorter but intense rides that get your heart rate up and give your legs a workout.

Other aerobic activity:  Because cycling is an aerobic form of exercise, any other exercise that can get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time can be beneficial.  Examples include walking, hiking, running and swimming.  Of course, if winter weather is keeping you off your bike, this is a great excuse to get on your snow shoes or cross country skis. These activities can really rev up your heart and muscles and let you get outside for periods of time longer than you could ride outside or inside.

Ride outside anyway: Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t ride. The cold weather clothes have greatly improved and it is possible to ride for an hour or more outside when the thermometer dips down to or even below the freezing point.  Properly dressed you will be amazed at how you can ride comfortably when it is cold out.  It helps to ride where you are protected from the wind, such as in wooded areas, as wind chill can make really cold temperatures dangerous.  One option is to ride a mountain bike or fatbike as the slower speed will reduce the self-induced wind chill.  Riding on dirt or gravel roads will give your legs a workout while riding at slower speeds.  Or, better yet, hit some single track in the woods.  The trees will protect you from the wind and you will work up a sweat even below the freezing mark.  It is possible to ride even with a couple of inches of snow.  However, unless you have studded tires, there isn’t much you can do in icy conditions except get out your ice skates, which is another good form of exercise.

Cross training:  The winter is also a good time to try other activities.  When you take part in an activity other than cycling, it is called cross training. You are working other muscle groups and helping to build a more balanced body.  For example, doing some strength training and taking aerobics or boot camp classes will work other parts of your body.   Of course, skiing, snow shoeing, skating, running and swimming are also forms of cross training.  But consider other activities as well such as yoga and pilates. You might even want to do some other forms of competitive activity such as basketball or racquetball.  Use the time off the bike to experiment with other forms of exercise.  This will help make you a more well-rounded person in terms of strength and fitness and also mentally.  The main thing is to keep your body moving, in new and different ways.

You have all summer to ride, so use this opportunity in the winter to try something new and different.  Before you know it spring will be here and you can get back out and ride to your heart’s (and legs) content.

Coach David Ertl

David Ertl is a USA Cycling Level 1 (Elite) Coach. He coaches the Des Moines Cycle Club Race Team and is a national head coach for the the JDRF Ride To Cure Diabetes and he coaches individual cyclists. He also provides cycling training plans and ebooks at his website: http://www.CyclesportCoaching.com . He can be contacted at coach@cyclesportcoaching.com.  Follow him @Cyclecoach on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CyclesportCoaching.

17 Responses on “RAGBRAI Training: How to Start Preparing for RAGBRAI While Waiting for Spring to Arrive

Roger Peirce

February 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

The temps have been pretty good to us in Texas.

Linda

February 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Good tips, I’m hoping to participate in this years ride.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Born an Iowa Hawkeye trapped in MN, will be a first time rider. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

March 7, 2014 at 7:49 am

Shauna

March 11, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Do you have a daily training schedule that leads up to the ride? Like many marathon training websites have.

Profile photo of TJ

TJ

March 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm

This is last year’s plan… http://ragbrai.com/2013/05/12/ragbrai-training-training-plan-in-excel-file/

tim richardson

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I understand Ragbrai is not a race – however, the distances involved are not extreme. I have to ask, is there an ‘A’ group that goes off the front each day? What are the typical speeds involved? I’d like to submit an application to come up.

I like to do group riding for speed and thrills, not conversation. I’m concerned that this is more of a touring ride than a peloton.

Thanks,

March 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thanks,

Tim

Profile photo of TJ

TJ

March 29, 2014 at 5:16 am

Definitely not a race and no a group. You ride at own pace. If looking just for speed RAGBRAI is not for you

• Top Ten Tips for RAGBRAI:  #2 Long Live Long Rides

The second installment of my top 10 tips for RAGBRAI training is the most simple and basic. Ride your bike. Then repeat (almost daily).

• Top Ten Training Tips for RAGBRAI:  #1 Riding Safely

This year I am going to focus my training blogs on 10 important topics for preparing well for RAGBRAI. These are based on questions and comments I have received ...

• Final Days to Register for RAGBRAI Week-long Riders

The deadline for online week-long registration is Saturday, April 1. You must have your entry submitted and payment made by April 1, don’t wait until after the lottery to submit ...

• A Reminder About RAGBRAI Registration

The deadline for online week-long registration is Saturday, April 1. You must have your entry submitted and payment made by April 1, don’t wait until after the lottery to submit your ...

• RAGBRAI Training: RAGBRAI is Coming, Let's Get Ready!

Once again, Coach David Ertl will be providing training tips for you to use and follow as you prepare for your successful trip across Iowa this year. Many people ...

• RAGBRAI Route: Saturday, July 29 - Waukon to Lansing

Here is the final daily RAGBRAI route for Saturday from Waukon to Lansing. The entire route will be new RAGBRAI territory as will journey travels 44.8 miles with some ...

• RAGBRAI Route: Friday, July 28 - Cresco to Waukon

Here is the complete RAGBRAI route for Friday from Cresco to Waukon. The route travels 60.1 miles as we climb 2,483 feet.

• RAGBRAI Route: Thursday, July 27 – Charles City to Cresco

Thursday’s RAGBRAI route from Charles City to Cresco travels just 54.6 miles but we will start to experience some hills as we climb 2,257 feet.

• RAGBRAI Route: Wednesday, July 26 - Clear Lake to Charles City

Wednesday’s RAGBRAI route from Clear Lake to Charles City encompasses 57.5 miles and climbs 1290 feet.

• RAGBRAI Route: Tuesday, July 25 – Algona to Clear Lake

Here is Tuesday’s complete RAGBRAI route from Algona to Clear Lake. The day’s ride will cover 51.4 miles and just 934 feet of climb.

• The full 2017 RAGBRAI route is out. Watch this video for a detailed look.

• Take a closer look at where the 2017 RAGBRAI route will go.

• T.J. Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI director, talks about the 2017 route after the announcement on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017.

• Watch a replay of the full RAGBRAI route announcement live show.

• A RAGBRAI icon Paul Bernhard aka \u0022Mr. Pork Chop\u0022 passed away November, 2016 and RAGBRAI Nation shared photos with Mr. Pork Chop on the ride through the years.

• The Bacoon Ride returns for its fourth year on the Raccoon River Trail on Saturday, June 17.

• From the creators of the Bacoon Ride comes the new ride for women, Pigtails at the Prairie Trail on Saturday, May 20.

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz announces the overnight towns for RAGBRAI 2017.

• The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa will go north in 2017, starting in Orange City, ending in Lansing, and overnighting in six more Iowa towns along the way. It's rated the third-easiest RAGBRAI ever.

• Attendees at the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party joined in a mass \u0022pork chop\u0022 call in honor of ride legend Mr. Pork Chop, Paul Bernhard, who died last year.