RAGBRAI news team

Rider who died of heart attack was one of Iowa’s ‘secret famous people’

Somewhere in Tom Teesdale’s West Branch shop sits a steel bike frame, never to be finished.

Teesdale died Monday after he had a heart attack while riding the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, his son said. Teesdale, 62, of West Branch, was known in the international biking community for his custom frame designs, especially for mountain bikes.

For 38 years, Teesdale owned and operated TET Cycles out of a warehouse in West Branch where he sold custom bikes, including cyclocross, mountain, road and tandem.

Steve McGuire, a University of Iowa professor of 3-D design and metal arts, said Teesdale’s son called him to tell him about the death.

McGuire said Teesdale would often build custom bikes for special-needs students at Camp Courageous in eastern Iowa and would ride tandem alongside them when they needed a partner.

“He had an engineer’s mind and the generosity of a pope,” he said.

Son John Teesdale said his father loved his family and had a passion for bicycles.

“It’s nice — well, it’s not nice — but if you’ve got to go out, you might as well go out riding your bike,” he said.

RAGBRAI medical director Bob Libby said a quick-response motorcycle and ambulance tried help Teesdale on Monday morning between Terril and Graettinger in northwest Iowa. He later died at Palo Alto County Hospital in Emmetsburg.

The last time a rider died during RAGBRAI was in 2010 when a rider collided with another cyclist and suffered a head injury. In 42 years, 29 people have died during the ride, which is organized by Register Media, publisher of The Des Moines Register.

More than 18,000 people were cycling on the RAGBRAI route Monday, according to the Iowa State Patrol.

RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz released a written statement Tuesday saying, “The thoughts and prayers of the entire RAGBRAI Nation are with the family who lost a loved one while he was enjoying RAGBRAI.”

Sean O’Harrow, director of the UI Museum of Art, said Teesdale was one of Iowa’s many “secret famous people.”

“What I think is amazing is that cycling has such a high profile in Iowa, partly because of RAGBRAI, but I think a lot of people had no idea who Tom was,” he said.

O’Harrow said he was working with Teesdale to curate an archive of historic materials following bicycle design before his death.

“He was kind of a machine in the sense that he was the ultimate bike builder, bike designer,” he said. “He was a real artist and a real craftsman, and a real revolutionary thinker.”

Teesdale married in 1980 and had one daughter, Kate, and four sons, John, Matthew, Andrew, and Jacob, according to his obituary.

McGuire said Teesdale was a visiting professor at UI and that he first met him when Teesedale designed a custom bike for McGuire’s adult son, who has cerebral palsy.

“I regarded him as a great friend, a mentor,” he said. “He just knew so much.”

McGuire said Teesdale was at the forefront of mountain bike design, including designing the 1988 Fisher Mt. Tam, which McGuire considers “one of the great bikes made.”

His work has been shown at the Chicago Bicycle Show, and McGuire said Teesdale had been designing his first titanium frame to enter with students into the North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show.

“He had a level of precision,” he said. “He really strived to make every bike unique for the person it was for. Over the years, he acquired a knowledge of materials that few people will ever achieve just through experience.”

Rick Hopson, a cardiologist and president of Iowa City Cycling Club, said Teesdale was well-regarded among “old-school cyclists.”

Teesdale was not a salesman or showman, Hopson said, but a true artisan.

“He was always completely dirty with welding solder and welding glasses and an apron on,” he said. “He would sit down and talk with you about what it was.

“He definitely had the spirit of cycling.”

9 Responses on “Rider who died of heart attack was one of Iowa’s ‘secret famous people’

Alex Pieper

July 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I own and ride a Teesdale built Steel Mnt bike, it is a piece of art. when I bent it a few months ago in a crash, I just boxed it up, with a tear in my eye, and sent it to it’s maker, Tom had a new downtube welded in in days……. he dropped everything to get my bike fixed, even realized that as a big guy, i needed a stronger tube, and made it right

GODspeed Tom, you were a master

Grant Kruse

July 23, 2014 at 10:17 am

Tom’ s impact on my world will outlive him, and me. My daughter wanted to do RAGBRAI for the first time back around 2001, but her bike (an old Schwinn mountain bike) really wasn’t up to speed, so I asked Tom to refurb it with some good dropouts and brazeons and fresh paint. He graciously did so, and my daughter rode, and met her future husband, and they now have two beautiful kids of their own. Tom had a part in this that he never knew, and that I will never forget.

www.facebook.com

July 24, 2014 at 9:40 am

Counter Strike Global Offense: This game is a multiplayer first person shooter which involves taking objectives and killing enemies.

For instance, in the third level from the silver age, after defeating
a miniboss, you might have to fight your way beyond an ad to get a Kung Fu manual.
They know and you know, they didn’t really beat you and also all they will really want is people upset.

David Ster

July 24, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I cracked my carbon fiber frame 4 years ago and wanted to go back to steel. I couldn’t find one with the same geometry as my 1972 racing bike. I took him my old bike and had him restore it and make a new bike just like it with a few changes to take modern gearing and parts. It’s the best fitting and riding bike I ever owned. Thanks Tom you will be .

Don Brennan

July 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Tom Teesdale….what a trail of good memories you leave behind. Just think…..If there is a cycle dept up there….you’ll be the top dog! RIP…good man.

bmoc

July 25, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Good Man, fixed my bike too

Profile photo of SFC JKL2

SFC JKL2

July 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm

We lost a great one. Best wishes to the family.

Til we ride again…

James B Horan

July 28, 2014 at 7:58 am

It is sad to hear about any death on RAGBRAI. There was a doctor that fell and died the last day of 2009 in a park on the way to Burlington. All I could think was he died doing what he wanted to do. I have done 5 RAGBRAI’s but did not make this year’s. I rode a 75 mile charity ride yesterday from Philadelphia to Atlantic City and two riders fell hard and were unconscious after one biker’s tire fell into a rut on the rode. Most roads were made for cars and trucks and not bikes.

Delta Care USA

August 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Fantastic items from you, man. I have take
into account your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent.
I actually like what you have bought right here, really like what
you are stating and the way in which you assert it. You’re making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep
it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is really a
tremendous web site.

• RAGBRAI® XLIII Lost and Found

Do you recognize anything in this photo?  Several lost items were turned into us throughout the week including cell phones, keys, bike computers, eyewear and more.  All owners of wallets, ...

• 20 RAGBRAI photos: Blue skies and countrysides

• 15 RAGBRAI photos: Creative costumes of the ride

• 10 RAGBRAI photos: Not your average bikes

• 12 RAGBRAI photos: Dance it out

• 15 RAGBRAI photos: Catching the sunrise

• 15 RAGBRAI photos: The food

• 12 RAGBRAI photos: Getting wet and wild on the route

• 69 Photos: The best of RAGBRAI

• Another (adjective) RAGBRAI comes to a close

Davenport — This is the 43rd article about tire-dipping at the end of the Register’s 43rd Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. So unless you’re new to Iowa or RAGBRAI, you ...

• "This is my gift to you guys," said pool owner Bud Henson whose house is right along the RAGBRAI route this year in Moscow, IA.

• First time RAGBRAI rider experiences Iowa on two wheels.

• All Ability Cycles gives bicycle rides to residents of the Hiawatha Care Center on Friday, July 24, 2015. The group gives rides to senior residents along the RAGBRAI route.

• Jabara the camel stole the show in Mount Vernon for RAGBRAI.

• DM Register scribes scarf more rhubarb cream pie than NPR!

• Tony Ron, of Fort Dodge, sells jewelry made of recycled bicycle spokes to pay for a flight and visa to Ecuador.

• Patty Ankrum explains a project in Mount Vernon to take advantages of the thousands of RAGBRAI cyclists passing through.

• Hundreds of riders flock to Team Google's complimentary charging tent set up in the RAGBRAI meetup town.

• Taking advantage of a creek that runs through Shellsberg, the Air Force RAGBRAI team held their own mini-triathlon to stay cool in the water.

• Massage therapist restoring riders' muscles