RAGBRAI XLV Countdown – July 23-29, 2017

RAGBRAI news team

Beer ride: Microbrews catch up on RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI has a reputation for being awash in light beer from corporate breweries. Yet more craft brewers are training palates at the state’s biggest rolling party.

This year, bikers could find three local breweries near the route: West O in Okoboji, Lake Time Brewing in Clear Lake, and Mason City Brewing.

Every day along the route, the Iowa Craft Beer Garden featured the state’s finest, including offerings from Millstream Brewing in Amana, Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids and Confluence Brewing in Des Moines. Backpocket Brewing in Coralville set up “beer for breakfast” stops in the first pass-through town each day. Judging from the lines, the stops were popular.

Team Good Beer returned to RAGBRAI for the ninth year. The team, made up from riders from Texas, Iowa and elsewhere, provided a guide to bars serving craft beers on the route.

The team’s bus carried kegs from 20 breweries, both Iowa-made brews as well as those not typically found here, including some from NOLA Brewing in New Orleans, COOP Ale Works in Oklahoma City and Santa Fe Brewing. The team also featured a representative from Schafly Beer, a St. Louis brewer that entered the Des Moines market last month.

Steve Slach of Bettendorf founded the team in frustration, after seeing plenty of Bud and Miller Lite on RAGBRAI and wanting to emphasize the quality, not quantity, of beer.

– Lynn Hicks, Des Moines Register business editor

8 Responses on “Beer ride: Microbrews catch up on RAGBRAI

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:36 am

I wish the craft beer would have been available in the overnight towns each night. I didn’t really feel like drinking beer during the daytime ride, but would have LOVED to try these once the ride was done for the day. I remember passing by the Iowa Craft Beer people and wishing they were at the end – when I could just kick up my feet and relax.

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:37 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:38 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:39 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:40 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:41 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:42 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:43 am

• RAGBRAI Web Store Now Open!

The RAGBRAI Web Store is NOW OPEN!

• RAGBRAI Training: Now that RAGBRAI is Over for Another Year, What Should You Do?

Well, RAGBRAI came and went, and I hope you were well prepared and had a great time. Hopefully you learned something to do better for next year.

• Adventure Traveler's Video Captures the Essence of RAGBRAI

Check out this great ‪‎RAGBRAI‬ video from Ryan Van Duzer, who travels the world and creating content aimed at inspiring people to hit the road.

• Congratulations to the Dream Team on Another Great Year!

The Dream Team uses the power of a bicycle to assist youth in developing a positive approach to life’s challenges.

• Congratulations to Grace from Shenandoah for Winning the 2016 RAGBRAI Kid’s Art Contest

This year’s winner of the RAGBRAI Kid’s Art Contest is 9 year old Grace from Shenandoah. Grace’s artwork depicted the local theme in Shenandoah of “Peace, Love, Ride”

• Good and bad luck of another unforgettable RAGBRAI

Amid tragedy and serendipity, you can't make this stuff up.

• RAGBRAI paves road to adulthood for 6-year rider

DeAndre Parson said he wouldn't be in the position he's reached without the Dream Team.

• Second cyclist dies while riding RAGBRAI; suffered heart attack

A second cyclist has died along the RAGBRAI route this week. Clifton Kahler, 60, of Florida passed away Tuesday following a heart attack he suffered while riding along Highway 2, according ...

• What to look for Saturday on RAGBRAI

The final day of RAGBRAI 2016 promises to be the easiest of the week!

• Check out one of RAGBRAI's oldest buses

• Take a look back on all the fun moments the Des Moines Register staff captured on video during RAGBRAI 2016.

• Riders brave the swinging bridge in Columbus Junction.

• Winds remain out of the northeast for Saturday and with partly sunny skies, highs will hold in the lower 80s. The weekend looks dry for the most part, perfect for those finishing up Ragbrai or maybe heading out to the Indianola Balloon Classic.

• Omaha-based Team Pump's bus is one of the most colorful, and oldest, team buses currently operating in RAGBRAI.

• Hal Colliver has been collecting signs since 1973. Its a hobby of his he loves to share with others who often stop by to look at his barn.

• Teresa Condon and Tracy Henriksen have fun in their infant costumes.

• Riders take over Wooden Wheel Vineyard

• The complete century ride, including the Karras Loop, from Leon to Centerville on RAGBRAI 2016.

• Lyle Dumont has built and rebuilt enough model trains and full size tractors to fill 30,000 square feet of space. Take a look around his collections

• \u0022The best part of this job is hearing all the thank-yous,\u0022 Iowa State Patrol trooper says.