RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015

RAGBRAI news team

Beer ride: Microbrews catch up on RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI has a reputation for being awash in light beer from corporate breweries. Yet more craft brewers are training palates at the state’s biggest rolling party.

This year, bikers could find three local breweries near the route: West O in Okoboji, Lake Time Brewing in Clear Lake, and Mason City Brewing.

Every day along the route, the Iowa Craft Beer Garden featured the state’s finest, including offerings from Millstream Brewing in Amana, Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids and Confluence Brewing in Des Moines. Backpocket Brewing in Coralville set up “beer for breakfast” stops in the first pass-through town each day. Judging from the lines, the stops were popular.

Team Good Beer returned to RAGBRAI for the ninth year. The team, made up from riders from Texas, Iowa and elsewhere, provided a guide to bars serving craft beers on the route.

The team’s bus carried kegs from 20 breweries, both Iowa-made brews as well as those not typically found here, including some from NOLA Brewing in New Orleans, COOP Ale Works in Oklahoma City and Santa Fe Brewing. The team also featured a representative from Schafly Beer, a St. Louis brewer that entered the Des Moines market last month.

Steve Slach of Bettendorf founded the team in frustration, after seeing plenty of Bud and Miller Lite on RAGBRAI and wanting to emphasize the quality, not quantity, of beer.

- Lynn Hicks, Des Moines Register business editor

8 Responses on “Beer ride: Microbrews catch up on RAGBRAI

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:36 am

I wish the craft beer would have been available in the overnight towns each night. I didn’t really feel like drinking beer during the daytime ride, but would have LOVED to try these once the ride was done for the day. I remember passing by the Iowa Craft Beer people and wishing they were at the end – when I could just kick up my feet and relax.

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:37 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:38 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:39 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:40 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:41 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:42 am

Sandy

July 30, 2014 at 8:43 am

• Dennis DeYoung and the Music of STYX will be Rocking in Hiawatha!

Dennis DeYoung is a founding member of STYX and the lead singer and writer on seven of the bands eight Top Ten Hits. His live concert showcases all the STYX ...

• Don't Wait 'Til the Last Minute - Weeklong Registration Ends April 1!

Want to ride with us all week for RAGBRAI XLIII? The deadline for registration is April 1, just under a week away.

• Weeklong Rider Registration Deadline is April 1

The deadline to register online as a weeklong rider for this year’s RAGBRAI is midnight, April 1.

• View the 2015 Interactive Route Map

Zoom in on the towns and byways for RAGBRAI 2015.

• "Ask a Trooper" Discusses Bike Racks on Vehicles

During a driving vacation out west, I noticed the popularity of bumper-attached bicycle and luggage racks. Are there any rules with these?

• RAGBRAI XLIII route: Unique attractions every few miles

The definitive guide to how riders will get fed and cooled off (oh, and maybe see some important stuff) during RAGBRAI XLIII.

• Sneak Preview of Eight RAGBRAI XLIII Rookie Towns

RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz previews the 8 towns that the ride has never visited.

• Cheap Trick to Rock RAGBRAI Coralville Overnight

RAGBRAI Coralville organizers are excited to announce that Cheap Trick presented by Two Rivers Bank and Trust is scheduled to perform at the RAGBRAI overnight celebration in the Iowa River ...

• Coralville is the first Overnight Town to Announce Their RAGBRAI XLIII Theme!

Lights, Camera, Action! Get ready for a night of glitz, glamour and Lycra during our Hollywood-themed visit to Coralville!

• RAGBRAI XLIII Full Route and Details to be Released Sunday

RAGBRAI XLIII's full route and more details to be published HERE on Sunday

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz points out highlights of the pass-through towns along the route cyclists will follow July 19 to 25, 2015.

• RAGBRAI director T.J. Juskiewicz previews the 8 towns that the ride has never touched.

• Tune in to RAGBRAI.com this weekend to be the first to know the details of this year's route. RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz shares when the rookie pass through towns, full route map will be announced.

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz annouces the 2015 overnight towns. Ride will start in Sioux City and end in Davenport.

• The Register's Kyle Munson and Michael Morain attempt to get an early look at the 2015 RAGBRAI route

• We are excited to reveal our new logo for RAGBRAI XLIII and 2015! If you join us on our ride across the state next year, you’ll be sure to see welcoming Iowans, lots of farmland and… well you’ll just have to watch the video to find out.

• Bicyclist Shawn Gosch of Onawa was hit and killed June 20, 2014, by a motorist on Iowa Highway 7 west of Manson. Under Iowa law, the driver of the vehicle was charged with a misdemeanor for unsafe passing and fined little more than $1,550.

• Look back on the ride of 2014 in this video highlight reel.

• A group of friends from Canada spent the week on RAGBRAI and recount their best moments.

• As RAGBRAI XLII comes to an end, friends from California talk about the emotion behind dipping their tires into the Mississippi River at the end of the ride.