RAGBRAI XLV Countdown – July 23-29, 2017

RAGBRAI Reflections with John Karras

by John Karras, Grampa RAGBRAI

A strange, but predictable, thing happened this year to Ann and I on our way to our umpteenth time to ride RAGBRAI–we were physically unable to ride it(we had a paltry 49 miles of training on out legs). It wasn’t the biggest disappointment of our 63-plus years of marriage, but it sure was up there in the top 20.

The onlyRAGBRAI moments we had were while stationed on the Karras Loop where Ann and Carol Molhandorf handed out Loop patches and I hugged the sweaty young ladies who wanted pictures taken with me. Not the hardest duty in the world

Another lesson from our RAGBRAI debacle: Preparation on a stationary bicycle does not transfer to the road, at least not the way I did it this year. I had 45 hours on the trainer here at Scottish Rite Park, but when we went out on the road we found ourselves worn out in under 10 miles. I believe that 45 hours of road miles would have gotten me ready for RAGBRAI. I haven’t felt this dumb or disappointed in myself in at least 10 years.

And apropos of nothing, it occurred to me recently that I’m perhaps the only one at Scottish Rite Park who thinks of a sweatshirt as a fashion statement.

John Karras is the co-founder of RAGBRAI

30 Responses on “RAGBRAI Reflections with John Karras

Don Clasen

July 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hey. John–I’ve had the same problem lately, But these 83-year-old bones will get over it. I’ve pretty well given up my walks along the beach this summer. The old bod won’t move some days. But, like the Dodgers of old, I’ll expect to do better next year. You have certainly achieved greatness with RAGBRAI since those days on the copy nesk. Say hello to Ann.
Don Clasen
Chicago

Jason Hunter

July 31, 2014 at 10:52 pm

John,

Don’t feel bad. At least you tried. Keep trying! Don’t give up! Just get on your bike and ride as often as you can. Being married 63 years, congratulations by the way, I’m guessing your retired so time is on both your sides. You had 49 miles of experience. Gradually work your way up so you are doing 49 miles a weekend. Ideally to do the ride well you should be able to ride about half the distance a day for five days. So for example this year Ragbrai was 418 miles. You should try to do half in about 5 days. Not right now, build yourself up. If you can get yourself up to do that, I think you will do fine by the next Ragbrai. Yeah! Now we have a year to train till the next Ragbrai. The more you find yourself on the bike I think the healthier and happier you will be. You’ll have a healthier higher quality of life and be able to kick some meds good bye, if your on any that is. The human body is capable of miraculous things. This is true whether your 10 years old or 90. But in order for our bodies to change it has to first start with our thinking. The poorer health we are in the greater the challenge, but the reward is oh so great! You have the potential to turn Ragbrai from your top 20 disappointments into your top 20 achievements. I believe you can do it, otherwise I would not have written this comment. Although my challenges in just getting to Ragbrai next year are about as big as the challenges you faced this year, if I succeed. I look forward to seeing you next year.

Jason Hunter

July 31, 2014 at 11:35 pm

John,

Don’t feel bad. At least you tried. Keep trying! Don’t give up! Just get on your bike and ride as often as you can. Being married 63 years, congratulations by the way, I’m guessing you’re retired so time is on both your sides. You had 49 miles of experience. Gradually work your way up so you are doing 49 miles a weekend. Ideally to do the ride well you should be able to ride about half the distance a day for five days. So for example this year Ragbrai was 418 miles. You should try to do half in about 5 days. Not right now, build yourself up to it. If you can get yourself up to do that, I think you will do fine by the next Ragbrai.

Yeah! Now we have a year to train till the next Ragbrai. The more you find yourself on the bike I think the healthier and happier you will be. You’ll have a healthier higher quality of life and be able to kick some meds good bye, if you’re on any that is.

We all have hills we face in life. Some are more difficult than others but they are not unbeatable. When our actions are in line with our desire, a heart, and will we can overcome the greatest of mountains.

Bruce Woods

August 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm

To: John Karras

I persuaded a long-time friend from The Netherlands to ride with me this year. He’s an accomplished rider and only 65; I at 70 had to push some to keep pace with him. He was also fortunate enough to have his picture taken with you at Lone Rock where they gave your patches out. Thanks John! Hundreds of thousands of riders have enjoyed something special because of your efforts and foresight.

Sandaltan

August 1, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Debacle??? The word hardly applies to a few hours hugging sweaty young ladies. Maybe you have convinced Ann that you didn’t enjoy the hugging but not me. See y’all next year Karras.

RIDE RIGHT

August 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Profile photo of costumecostume

costumecostume

August 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Robert Van Every

August 8, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I am glad you were on the ride. I remember antics of you and Offenberger back in the day. The bloggers who suggest ways to train for rag ride crack me up. YOU wrote the book on how to get ready to ride!!

Ride On! ….(or maybe not. Collecting hugs from the dudettes makes for a Great Ride!)

BURMA SHAVE

• JustGoBike Podcast Episode 4: Bike Laws, Bike Events and Bike Towns, Oh My!

In this episode we talk with reporter Mackenzie Elmer of The Des Moines Register about cycling laws in Iowa and some of the bike accident and fatality cases she has ...

• RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest Winners Announced!

Follow the link to find out the three winners of our 2017 Guess the Route Contest!

• Iowa C.O.P.S. Team Awarded RAGBRAI Rider Cup

The Iowa Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.) bike team was awarded the prestigious RAGBRAI Rider Cup this weekend at the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party.

• Photos from the 2017 Route Announcement Party

A crowd took in treats and tunes before hearing which eight towns will be hosts this summer.

• RAGBRAI XLV: Take it easy, go north

The overnight towns for the 45th RAGBRAI have finally been revealed!

• Introducing the JustGoBike Podcast!

A weekly podcast on the culture of biking, cycling just for the fun of it, and tales from the #RAGBRAI Nation!

• RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party Tickets Still Available!

Where will RAGBRAI go in 2017? North? South? Central? Join us for the Route Announcement Party on Jan. 21 and find out!

• Gear up for RAGBRAI with Live Healthy Iowa’s 10 Week Wellness Challenge

A New Year is just around the corner! Plan for a healthy start in 2017 by taking part in the annual 10 Week Wellness Challenge! It’s a great ...

• Only 50 Days 'til the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party!

Join us as we reveal Iowa's biggest secret on January 21, 2017 at the Iowa Events Center in downtown Des Moines.

• Guess the Route Contest is Now Open for RAGBRAI XLV!

Do you think you can pick the eight overnight towns for RAGBRAI XLV? Enter the contest and see how close you come.

• Take a closer look at where the 2017 RAGBRAI route will go.

• T.J. Juskiewicz, RAGBRAI director, talks about the 2017 route after the announcement on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017.

• Watch a replay of the full RAGBRAI route announcement live show.

• A RAGBRAI icon Paul Bernhard aka \u0022Mr. Pork Chop\u0022 passed away November, 2016 and RAGBRAI Nation shared photos with Mr. Pork Chop on the ride through the years.

• The Bacoon Ride returns for its fourth year on the Raccoon River Trail on Saturday, June 17.

• From the creators of the Bacoon Ride comes the new ride for women, Pigtails at the Prairie Trail on Saturday, May 20.

• RAGBRAI director TJ Juskiewicz announces the overnight towns for RAGBRAI 2017.

• The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa will go north in 2017, starting in Orange City, ending in Lansing, and overnighting in six more Iowa towns along the way. It's rated the third-easiest RAGBRAI ever.

• Attendees at the RAGBRAI Route Announcement Party joined in a mass \u0022pork chop\u0022 call in honor of ride legend Mr. Pork Chop, Paul Bernhard, who died last year.

• Just Go Bike is a weekly podcast that uses bikes to talk about the cool people who ride them. Tell your friends!