Forums

Forums Categories

Members

1973 Ragbrai Patch

(9 posts) (5 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by RL
Latest reply from Just Krusin 1 year, 10 months ago ago

RL
  • I would like to purchase a 1973 Ragbrai patch if anyone stumbles across one when they are cleaning out their top drawer. Thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #473929

Bad Bobby
  • If you haven’t already check on eBay. I see patches on there from time to time, and when I saw your post I want to look. They had a listing for years 79-90s, but keep checking there I am sure one is bound to show up! I check it daily as I am in search for a XL-XXL 2004 RAGBRAI jersey

Good luck with the search!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474047

Sandaltan
  • Previous years patches through 1976 are on sale at the RAGBRAI Shop, click the link above. I doubt that there were patches for the years 1973 to 1975. The 1976 patch on sale at the shop is a replica of the original 1976 patch. The original was about 5 inches on a side while this one is smaller.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474150

Just Krusin
  • I have patches for both 73 and 74 but they are kinda close to my heart, actually stitched on a shirt close to my heart, and there ain’t no way I will part with them. Both years they sold the patches with some one walkinig thru the camping area selling them so you had to be in the right place at the right time to get one.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474200

jake d
  • According to Karras in his book, ‘RAGBRAI – Everyone Pronounces It Wrong’, it didn’t occur to him to have some way of commemorating the first ride until the last day standing in a Davenport park.

So in a frenzy, he had the riders form lines to write down there name and address, then pass the list to the next person. In all, there were 114 riders that did the whole week. They then had patches made and sent out to each rider.

Krusin, that has to be a truly special memory. I wouldn’t part with them either.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474204

RL
  • Just Krusin, I LOVE that you have your patches sewed on to your shirt. I remember with the ride was still young and you would see a person have a jersey that would have 10 patches sewn and the back.

I don’t think there were many 1973 patches done in the first place, I’m betting only half of those are around now.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474208

Sandaltan
  • Thanks for the info JK, hang on to that patch and those memories.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474294

Just Krusin
  • I stand corrected, guess it’s hard to remember what happened 40 years ago. I remember in 73 ending at Vandeveer Park in Davenport and buying my patch in 74 from someone walking thru the campsite in Marshalltown, gee hope that’s right.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #474473

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy