Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Add Some Additional Mileage Loop?

(9 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by mootsman
Latest reply from bramasoleiowa 1 year, 5 months ago ago

mootsman
  • Dear RAGBRAI,

Since this year’s route is short, would it be possible to add official loops like the Karras loop (not centuries) on a couple of days?

Anyone else interested in a few extra miles?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476369

MikeB
  • I’m with you, Mootsman. I’ve already started looking for roads to add some miles.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476384

Bill from Panora
  • Bike trail south from Yale to Panora, 44 west to Guthrie Center,back on route. That would add about 25 miles

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476385

mootsman
  • I like seeing add-on route loop ideas.

TJ, the loops could be named after notable people from RAGBRAI’s history…

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476392

jwsknk
  • Until the actual rote comes out kind of hard to plan. And the vehicsl route won’t come out until much later. But at some point go have to cross the RRVT to get to panora. Lots of trail options in DM. Access depends on campsite but if its near waterworks, easy access to almost any direction.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476395

kmethling
  • Mootsman,

Absolutely! Our team will be looking to add miles to the route…..understand a lot of riders are happy about the shorter route this year and that’s great, but my favoorite day is always the Karras loop day…….what is your experience of going “off route”? Doubt additional mileage loops would be an official part of the route…..really like your idea though!

I know there were a couple “unofficial off routes” last year. The best was Stone River Rd. in Anamosa……they had a great restaurant / bar and a couple of outdoor bands! This added additional miles to our day as well as a cold beverage!!

K

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476579

Just Krusin
  • Just remember that the locals might get a little annoyed with the roads being closed and riding off route means no notice for motorists to expect bikers and no support. Just be careful is you do. Years ago when the USPS was closing small town post offices one rider rode up to 20 miles off route to small towns to get post marks as momentos. Must have been a stamp collector.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476580

daninboulder
  • kmethling: I know there were a couple “unofficial off routes” last year. The best was Stone River Rd. in Anamosa……they had a great restaurant / bar and a couple of outdoor bands! This added additional miles to our day as well as a cold beverage!!

We ended that tough (for me at least) day in SC and wow was that a great choice. I grew up not far from there and never heard of it! So will def. be going back for a visit when I move to Iowa this summer

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #476581

bramasoleiowa
  • Day 3 you could easily pick up the RRVT at Minden, Dallas Center, or crossing Hwy 6 and back-track to another point.

Day 4 at Pella you could add on the Volksweg Trail for some scenery by the lake.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #482009

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy