Forums

Forums Categories

Members

advice.

(6 posts) (5 voices)
Started 1 year, 5 months ago ago by Steven
Latest reply from Steven 1 year, 5 months ago ago

Steven
  • Ok this is my first year doing ragbria. From what i understand we are only alowed a 50 pound bag for the truck to carrie. I have a mountain bike with road tires and was wondering if it would be a smart move to buy a trailer for whatever else i may want to carry with me that may not be on the trailer or i may not want on the trailer. Or should i stick to panears?

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502746

Dan in Iowa
  • Fifty pounds is a lot more than you think it is. I traveled from Iowa to New Orleans pulling a trailer and my whole load, including the trailer, was just under 5o pounds. That included an entire kitchen too. Think a bag the size of a parachute bag, which is what I’ve actually used in the past, and you’ll be fine! I use a handlebar bag to carry my daily stuff. You’ll be fine. Daily I carry my money (waterproof pouch), an extra tube, patch kit (I have a frame pump, but you can always find someone with a pump), sunscreen, lip balm and a multi-tool. I might throw in a cloth to wipe the sweat off. Simplify. That old adage about KISS…..Keep It Simple Stupid…..holds true.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502747

murphymp
  • I think you will be find with 50 lbs. I have done Ragbrai 4 times and take less every year.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502749

Michrider
  • Steven, you don’t need to carry much on your bike. Most riders will carry 2 water bottles, in cages and whatever else they need in jersey pockets. We’ll be in Iowa, not in the middle of the Sahara!!!!

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502752

petra
  • I concur with all that has been said already. If you like to bring a lot of creature comforts you might find the 50 lb limit a problem. This is especially true if your tent is heavy. Having said that, there is no real reason that you cannot stay under the limit by judicious cutting of gear that you really don’t need. You will also appreciate it when you have to carry the bag to and from the truck each day. (By the way, sturdy wheels really help!) Carrying extra weight on the bike only makes the ride harder and henceless enjoyable. Also going with a camping service will eliminate the weight of tent, air mattress, chair, towel etc.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502755

Steven
  • thanks for all your advice. I know what to bring now.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502759

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy