RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Air Mattress Advice

(10 posts) (4 voices)
Started 1 year, 3 months ago ago by DeborahBartels
Latest reply from Jim Burnett 1 year, 2 months ago ago

DeborahBartels
  • Looking forward to my first full RAGBRAI in 35 days! I’m a backpacker at heart so I’m used to the minimalist approach to what I bring. However, I am told that a nicer air mattress is worth the extra weight. Does anyone have any good advice or suggestions on what kind to bring?

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #511857

tacook
  • We have a queen size Aerobed (brand) mattress that we love. It’s a little bigger than we need but full size air mattresses aren’t common. If you are alone, a twin should be fine. One hint, you’ll pump it up during the heat of the day. With the cooling of the air in the evening, you’ll need to add some air before heading to bed.

Have fun!!

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #511880

DeborahBartels
  • Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I wasn’t sure that an Aerobed would work well in a tent, so it’s good to hear that it does!

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #512487

tacook
  • Because we have such a large mattress, we have a relatively large tent. But we would probably still have that size tent because of the hubby’s desire to be able to stand up in it

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #512498

DeborahBartels
  • Thanks Dan, that’s basically the kind I have for backpacking and since weight isn’t an issue on RAGBRAI, I was looking for something a little more cushy! I’m a wimp when it comes to sleeping on the ground.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #512581

DeborahBartels
  • Oh, one more question on the Aerobed, is it the single height or the higher double one?

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #512585

Dan in Coralville
  • You want cushy? You might want to try joe’s bunk house.
    Custom beds and air conditioning. That’s what I’m doing this year.

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago ago #522040

DeborahBartels
  • I think I’m set – bought a twin Aerobed and it has a rechargeable pump. I’ll have my granddaughter try it out this weekend & give me the skinny on how comfy it is.

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago ago #522542

Jim Burnett
  • Hey Dan,

What’s the deal on Joe’s Bunk House? This is my first go at this and I come from the “show me state”, thanks!

Jim Burnett

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago ago #523637

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy