Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Best Tent Fan

(18 posts) (17 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Evan S
Latest reply from Just Krusin 1 year, 6 months ago ago

Evan S
  • Virgin needs some advice! I am buying a tent fan but need to know which ones are the best. Any suggestions?

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479520

Jason
  • The 10″ version of the O2-Cool fan was highly recommended on this site last year. I bought one and it worked great. The 5″ fan would be a great option also as it takes up less room in your bag.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479540

not2old
  • This will be my 1st. RAGBRAI and a fan was something I didn’t think about. Sounds like maybe I should huh?

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479547

rocker
  • I have used 2 of the 5″ 02-Cool fans for the past two summers. The smaller fans pack easier than the 10″ fan. Also, you have a breeze from two directions. Batteries have lasted the whole week but if they don’t there a plenty of places to buy replacements.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479548

Evan S
  • Sounds like an 02-Cool fan it is!! Thanks!

@not2old I cant sleep outside in the summer without a fan.. makes all the difference!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479582

Clayhill
  • One of the 5 inch O2′s does fine for me. I run it on high for about a half-hour to cool off as the sun goes down, then switch to low. Do yourself a favor and (i) use lithium batteries – they are worth the extra few bucks and (ii) switch the batteries as you start the fifth night whether you think you need to or not.

This will come up sooner or later. Use the older batteries in one of those AA battery device chargers. I use them to charge my Garmin GPS (500) since I hate having to go over to my charter’s juice thingy. And although I don’t need to charge my Iphone more than once during the week (I keep it off during the day), the used AA batteries probably can be used one last time in one of those emergency power devices (cost about $4 on ebay) if you just have to do it.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479584

murphymp
  • I have a O2 five inch fan that I used the first four Ragbrai I rode. Last year my family was worried about the heat and bought me a larger fan that was not an O2 that was a piece of junk. I relplaced it with a O2 10 inch fan and it works great.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479606

TGIMerv
  • I know I won’t be in the majority here but………… I use a Coleman fan.
    2006 and 2012 both hotter than H E double toothpicks. Worked fine.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479607

wrj
  • I use a Coleman fan also. I do not remember which model. It has a 2 speed fan and a light. I hang it from the ceiling loop of the tent with a short lenght of cord. I adjust it so that it is about a foot above my shoulders. It always cools me enough so I can sleep.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479614

Amanda
  • I fell asleep every night last summer with my fannext to me. My arm was wrapped around it. The fan blew on my face all night. Best sleep ever!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479617

SFC JKL2
  • O2 cool is the only way to go. They are cheap and they really work. I use 2 of the five inchers.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #479619

trek15rider
  • I’m with the majority here: my wife and I both used the O2 Cool 10″ fans last year and they were great. I think I’m fairly safe in saying it was pretty hot (especially early in the week) and we ran them a lot at night. The batteries lasted all week. Can’t imagine RAGBRAI without them!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479681

SSC1
  • For the last two Ragrai’s I used two of the 5 inch O2 Cool fans available for $9.99 each from Walmart. The batteries lasted all week with fans running all night. I just set one up on each side of me and I was comfy. These were recommended on this forum, so I tried them – never had a problem.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479692

pmac
  • The O2 Cool 10″ pushes alot of air and you can hang from the loop at the top of the tent. I really like mine. The downside is packing up the fan so it doesn’t get crushed in your bag and the battery pack can be a bit finicky. Never used the 5″ model but I’m sure it would work great, particularly if you have 2 of them.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #479766

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy