RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Bicycle Hard Case Recommendations?

(7 posts) (5 voices)
Started 1 year, 3 months ago ago by AzOcean
Latest reply from Clayhill 1 year, 3 months ago ago

AzOcean
  • Any recommendations for a hard case for my bike? I know I can get a cardboard bike box from a LBS, but was wanting something better.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #504873

Kelly P
  • Nashbar has one. Check the reviews.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #505098

Clayhill
  • I have a Serfas case. They run about $300. Worth every penny. I have thought seriously about getting a TRI case which would allow me to leave my rear derailleur on my bike rather than deinstalling it for shipping.

Let me tell you about rear derailleurs and shipping. Once I packed the bike in my box and I learned the hard way that it’s a bad idea not to remove the derailleur. If the rear derailler is pressing against the outer shell of the box, you can easily have your derailleur broken or, if you are lucky, have the derailleur hanger bent (which happened to me). Fortunately, I pack an extra hanger for my bike. It can be next to impossible to find a new hanger that will fit your bike unless it is a commonly used Trek, Cannondale, etc. frame.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #505218

AzOcean
  • Thanks iceman. I went with the Serfas case. PBV had a price of $300 that included shipping. MSRP was $350 from the Serfas website.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #510569

gatorboss
  • I had a Pro Bike case that has an aluminum frame inside of it to mount your frame to which has been great for 6-7 RAGBRAIs. I am selling it as I got a Trico Iron case.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #511803

Gypsy Rose
  • I use a Trico Iron case. Very happy with it. It takes time to disassemble and pack everything right, but once you do, it’s well protected.

Best,
    ~ Kevin

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #511853

Clayhill
  • I almost bought a Trico, just got better price on the Serfas from PBV which was selling the Serfas to its users – I think they still are selling them. I

Really, whether you get TRICO or Serfas or similar cases, you should evaluate whether you are comfortable removing the rear derailleur prior to packing your bike which you really need to do with most cases. I have contemplated buying the “Tri” case so I don’t have to remove the derailleur (I have started using the Dura Ace Di2 and its a pain to have to put the rear derailleur back on and adjust it). There are pros and cons to the Tri brand case. Pro – All you have to do is turn the handlebars and remove the wheels. Con – it’s a little bit wider and sometimes UPS or FedEx hit you for an oversize charge.

I also would remind you that if you want to do this cheaply, you can go to your LBS and get a cardboard bike box ( i.e., that the manufacturer used to ship a bike to your LBS). I used one several times and they are surprisingly durable and it certainly is wide enough to allow you to keep the rear derailleur on during shipment.

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago ago #512590

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy