active 15 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Anda
    active 36 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Marianne
    active 58 minutes ago

Bike shoe recommendations

(13 posts) (10 voices)
Started 1 year, 11 months ago by Mark Bauman

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LT ltyoungster 1 year, 11 months ago.

Looking for recommendations on a good bike shoe. For background, I’m more a recreational rider (was a runner, trying to switch over). Don’t know really any technical terms, but I have SPD type shoes and pedals now. Shoes I currently have were purchased on impulse, got me through one RAGBRAI but it’s time to change (they remind me more of tap dance shoes).

Looking for comfort on and off the bike (as needed) and ease of clipping in (sometimes I struggle with this).

Thanks for any assistance.
Mark in PA.

• Profile photo of Mark
    Mark Bauman
  • Looking for recommendations on a good bike shoe. For background, I’m more a recreational rider (was a runner, trying to switch over). Don’t know really any technical terms, but I have SPD type shoes and pedals now. Shoes I currently have were purchased on impulse, got me through one RAGBRAI but it’s time to change (they remind me more of tap dance shoes).

Looking for comfort on and off the bike (as needed) and ease of clipping in (sometimes I struggle with this).

Thanks for any assistance.
    Mark in PA.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091050

• Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
  • SANDALS SANDALS SANDALS….. You will love them.

SPD cleats work fine.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091055

• Profile photo of Mike
    mclousing
  • I would say any spd compatable shoe or sandal would be fine, just make sure it has a recessed cleat so you can comfortably walk with them. Also remember if you are year round rider sandals might get cold in the winter :).

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091081

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • wear sandals all year in Iowa. easy to adjust for a layer of poly-pro and smartwool socks with them.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091083

• Profile photo of Roy
    RoyBoy
  • I prefer sandal bike shoes as I use Shimano PD-M324 SPD Dual Platform Pedal and they are a combination clip/clipless pedals ideal for multipurpose use. When it is cool out I add wool socks like jwsknk suggests or I switch to winter boots without clips.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091089

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • I wore sandals for years and loved them! However, after my knee (Lefty) replacement, my surgeon & bike fitting GURU advised me to switch to mountain bike shoes (for more support). They work fine but look kinda dorky. However, so does that 12 inch scar across Lefty 2.0!!!!

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091091

• Profile photo of George
    George A
  • For me Sandals do not give the support like a full shoe does. I prefer a good mountain bike shoe for mountain and tandem riding. I use a road shoe for my road bike, but switch to my mountian shoes for RAGBRAI.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091133

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • I used to wear sandals, so did Princess Amanda!!!!

null

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091173

• Profile photo of tacook
    tacook
  • I wear Lake sandals through the summer and wear mountain bike shoes with SPDs the rest of the season. They are two different feels, but both ones Iam comfortable with.

I will add that my first pair of mountain bike shoes had laces with Velcro across the top of the four by the ankle. The Velcro wore out. My second, and current, pair of mountain bike shoes have an adjustable ratchet strap across the ankle, which makes adjusting much better.

I like mountain SPDs because I can walk normally. Someday I wouldn’t mind trying a regular wide road pedal to see what the difference in power transfer is, but I don’t think the trade off of not being able to walk normally will be worth it.

I would recommend finding the shoes that are comfortable that fit your budget.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091241

• Profile photo of Mark
    Mark Bauman
  • Thanks everyone for the advice. Been reading and learning about the different types. I now know that I had a road shoe. But they have to go. Will look into these suggestions.

Any other general equipment recommendations? Not even specifically for RAGBRAI – more for general biking? Amazing how much more technical and “stuff” oriented biking can be compared to running.

Thanks again. Mark

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091297

• Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
  • Hi,

Carry money, tools, tube, patch kit, air pump, more money, water, and some grub (nothing wacky nor expensive, just some gas station or grocery store fruits and treats).

Have fun and see you on the ride!

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1091300

• Profile photo of LT
    ltyoungster
  • Get the sandals but keep your road shoes. I ride my sandals for around town rides, bike packing and RAGBRAI. I still use my shoes for training loops and spin classes.

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago ago #1093992

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy