RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Bike stereo systems in ice coolers

(66 posts) (32 voices)
Started 1 year, 1 month ago ago by deweyheidi
Latest reply from arogers 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago

deweyheidi
  • Without getting into a debate about music during RAGBRAI, does anyone have a parts list of what you used for your bike stereo system? I’m most partial to the ones that utilize ice coolers, but I’ll make a box if I have to. I also like the ones with the solar chargers on them. I need amp, charging info. I plan to use an Ipod

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478604

Davy Sprocket
  • Get a cooler and drill a 6″ hole in the top on the left hand side. Fill the cooler with quality beer and cover with ice. Now when I pass you on your left, I can grab a cold beer and you will get a thank you for the beer and lack of redundant music which is typically found and unappreciated all over RAGBRAI.

The other way is get a personal Ipod speaker so that everyone doesn’t have to listen to what you think is classic music.

Party on Wayne!

Davy.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478641

iceman
  • No – don’t fill it with beer. Fill it with cow dung – really fresh, smelly stuff. Put your stereo in the middle of it.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478710

jwsknk
  • I’m looking for something that has an external volume control so it can be adjusted without having to stop and either get off to get to it or open something up.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478712

iceman
  • Why do otherwise perfectly normal people feel the need to impose their musical tastes on me? And so loudly? Those same people would be horrified if someone lit up a cigarette next to them at a lunch table. Rude, just plain ole rude.

And I used to like Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird – well, at least I did before the first several thousand times I heard it when the muffin heads on RAGBRAI decided it was their national anthem.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478714

Jboz
  • “Why do otherwise perfectly normal people feel the need to impose their musical tastes on me? And so loudly?”

Simplest answer – because they desperately want to be noticed.

More complex answer might relate to an attempt to compensate for insecurity associated with feelings of inadequacy.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478717

deweyheidi
  • LOL!!!!! You grumps just couldn’t resist could you???!!!!
    I doubt my music will annoy you. I’ll be enjoying everything RAGBRAI has to offer from the overnight towns and the through towns which means I’ll roll into town late and get a late start in the mornings. Maybe we’ll cross paths at the beer tents but you’ll probably already be in your tent.

As for “want to be noticed”, I highly doubt I will stand out. I will blend right in with the thousands of people smiling and enjoying Iowa, RAGBRAI, and life.

You might be on to something with the “an attempt to compensate for insecurity associated with feelings of inadequacy”. That could explain why I drink 16oz tall cans. Good call!!

Enjoy life people….. it’s short!!!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478723

Jboz
  • My post wasn’t directed at you, but rather to provide a general observation to the general question of “why do people…”. But I’m glad you have a sense of humor about it. Funny thing is that I don’t really mind the blasting music when it’s decent music. When it’s crap music, and when it’s highly distorted and played through an obviously overtaxed audio system, then it bugs me.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478725

deweyheidi
  • Thanks J Boz.
    I clearly understand where you’re coming from. I’m not the guy that’s compelled to make everyone behind him for 50 yards listen to his personal top 40.

Ride safe

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478726

Michrider
  • I don’t carry or haul a stereo! However, if someone asks I’ll loudly sing my medley of Barry Manilow tunes!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478728

Pdiddly
  • And you didn’t want to get into a debate! LOL, I still like the cooler idea with the beer hole. Rock On Dude! I will be because I’m inadequate and very insecure.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478729

Michrider
  • Paul said: And you didn’t want to get into a debate! LOL, I still like the cooler idea with the beer hole. Rock On Dude! I will be because I’m inadequate and very insecure.

Paul, I never debate unless there’s beer involved!!!!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478730

Here4TheRide
  • deweyheidi: Music is like pizza (or beer, or romantic partners). Everyone has their own ideas about what is fantastic, what is acceptable, and what is “not in a millions years!” One person’s champagne is often the next person’s Old Milwaukee – especially in a group of 10,000+ hot, sweaty and uncomfortable cyclists.

Better not to expect others to appreciate your musical tastes, no matter how eclectic they may be. Use an iPod and earbuds, if you must. But the keep the volume low enough that you can hear people around you mention upcoming road and riding hazards. Peace.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #478731

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy