Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Breathing in the Heat

(12 posts) (9 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by mootsman
Latest reply from Michrider 1 year, 9 months ago ago

mootsman
  • It seems when it gets too hot & humid breathing becomes difficult. The hotter and more humid it is the worse it gets. Not only when riding but just when I’m out in it in general. Riding makes it worse though. Not looking for a medical diagnosis here but has anyone with trouble breathing in the heat found relief in some manner? (other then ducking in someplace air conditioned which works great)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465677

kicks9
  • When riding last year (very hot) I was ok because the air was moving. When Stopped I felt the heat more and sometimes had difficultly breathing. Never stopped at rest stops without shade (why would you). Never heard of not being able to breath while riding other than maybe asthma or just pushing too hard.

Kicks

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465678

jwsknk
  • I have the opposite, except maybe when the corn is pollinating, not really hard to breath but watch out behind if a finger goes up to the side of the nose. I would have like to be breathing in the heat this morning, 18 felt a lot colder than the 0 yesterday. “Breathing in the heat, bresthing in the heat, we will go rejoicing, breathing in the heat” sorry, think i froze something,

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465752

Ed Kanitra
  • IF you believe in the Farmers Almanac:

“Summer will be drier and slightly cooler than normal, on average, despite hot spells in late June, mid- and late July, and mid-August.”

Sounds like what y’all went through last year.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465755

AzOcean
  • I have not experienced any problem breathing in the heat. I don’t have a lot of experience with humidity. Being from Arizona I did a lot of my training during the afternoons (105`-112` temps). The warm, dry breeze just kept me cool. I think that helped a lot in 2012 because the heat didn’t really bother me. Just keep drinking plenty of water and some electrolytes to keep hydrated.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #465804

mootsman
  • I’ve received weather predictions, a jingle of some kind, personal lamenting and even hydration advise. I was really looking for anything someone had done to alleviate any respiratory issue they had with heat and humidity.

Any one have breathing issues in the RAGBRAI heat & humidity that they have found a trick to help improve their breathing?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #466010

drgeorge1
  • I have allergy induced asthma and have had no problems breathing in the heat. I use my inhaler as needed before starting and during rides. However, one side effect of breathing in the heat occurred during RAGBRAI XL. On Tuesday of that week we rode into a substantial headwind for most of the day in 100+ degree heat. I ended up with 2nd degree burns on the inside of my lower lip from mouth breathing and probably some sunburn. Lip balm did not help during the ride. It took several weeks to heal.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #466076

getaclueblue
  • mootsman: anyone

I don’t have problems with breathing when riding. I live 20 miles from the gulf of Mexico along the Texas coast. The air gets really heavy from the gulf moisture. It’s not uncommon to be riding in 90 – 98 deg heat with 80 – 95 % humidity. One thing I do as an exercise that may have helped me thru the years is to take 50 – 100 really deep breaths while riding. This expands your lungs and increases your O2 content which helps increase energy.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #466292

Ed Kanitra
  • IMHO, the only answer is to take it slower. Weather effects people in different ways, but if you are having a tough time of it. Slow down.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #466384

John L
  • The only answer is to train in it, live in it (like getaclue and me), or slow down. It takes time for your body to “breath water” as we say down here in the south.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #466785

mootsman
  • Thanks getaclueblue, Ed & John,

Riding in the h&h goes well for about 2.5 hours. Going easy from the start on hot days may help. Breathing in the evening is still a problem. It might be just in my dna since when cross-country skiing I’m always dressed much lighter them most others and yet plenty warm. I think when my lungs over heat is when the trouble starts. If there was a CO2 cartridge device to get a shot of cold air now and then, that I’d pay for.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #467229

Michrider
  • I use Breathe Right strips and daily dosage of Budweiser!!!!!!

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #467302

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy