RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Brooks Saddle

(25 posts) (15 voices)
Started 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago by Zinger
Latest reply from Pdiddly 9 months, 1 week ago ago

Ragbrai Nation
  • Training 1400 miles for Ragbrai, something’s gotta give – HA!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510387

iceman
  • Mich – you got the split saddle. Hmmmm?

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510554

patrsnw
  • If it’s not working for you then try something else. Folks who swear by their Brooks saddle will go with nothing else (count me as one). Others just can’t get used to them so should try something, anything, else.

I’m still curious about this “break in” business. I’ve been riding with Brooks’ since 1980-something and have seen no/little change in their appearance or performance. (Of course, when I see “swayback” models I gotta wonder what the hell folks did to ‘em – but if it works, go with it.)

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510558

Michrider
  • patrsnw: If it’s not working for you then try something else. Folks who swear by their Brooks saddle will go with nothing else (count me as one). Others just can’t get used to them so should try something, anything, else.
    I’m still curious about this “break in” business. I’ve been riding with Brooks’ since 1980-something and have seen no/little change in their appearance or performance. (Of course, when I see “swayback” models I gotta wonder what the hell folks did to ‘em – but if it works, go with it.)

Geat idea! That’s why I’m now riding a Selle Anatomica and love it!!! and, they’re made in America!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510559

wabbington
  • Should have mentioned in earlier post that two of my three bikes have Brooks B17 saddles and I never had issues with them. I have one that is loose enough that it flexes. It is not like wood. My other one is tighter but does not give me problems. It is my hybrid which does not get high mileage rides.
    Maybe I am just dull down there.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510565

Zinger
  • 67 miles on it so far and it is loads better! Can you tell that patience isn’t one of my strong suits? Keeping with shorter rides this week, but I think I’ll be ready for a longer one by the weekend. Thanks for all the comments!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510636

statrixbob
  • I’ve got B-17′s on all my bikes (5 at the moment), 2 Standards, 2 Specials, 1 Select (and the new C-17 I was selected by Brooks to try). I’ve never really had to break any of them in. I’ll admit I’m a big guy and that may help, but they’ve all be good to go from the start. Admittedly they become really comfortable for me after some time, but I’d ride 50-100 miles on a new one without giving it thought. Just lucky I guess.

I don’t use any special treatment or anything else either – just a bit of Obenaufs (about a thimbleful) once a year, if I remember.

Aloha,

Bob

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510785

Chris
  • What was the old joke about breaking in Brooks saddles? Something about soaking them in Olive Oil that was collected under a full moon in Italy, then beating the hell out of it with an antique rolling pin, then riding it for 100 miles with a steak in your shorts to keep the pain down?

Something like that….

Posted 10 months ago ago #511883

Pdiddly
  • OK Michrider, I owe you several cold ones on the Kurb now. I just got my Selle Anatomica Titanico (aptly named for my large seat?!). So I ran out to the shed and installed it. As soon as I swung my leg over and put my weight on the saddle the only thought in my head was “why the hell didn’t you get this saddle 5 years ago?”. I don’t know what to do with myself and my preconceived notion that there is no such thing as a “comfortable saddle” now. Dang, all those miles, all those sore arses. It just wasn’t necessary afterall!

Cheers!

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #524671

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy