The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

California Riders

Coming from Vallejo (Bay Area). Looking for bicycle transport to/from the event. Anyone out there doing a delivery run?

15 Replies

Profile photo of William
Thoreau, January 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Someone regularly offers to move bikes from California to Iowa each each year–and I know they posted last year. Our San Francisco riding group usually uses the Pork Belly Fed Ex service.

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, January 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I believe Pork Belly Ventures recommends Send My Bike. Check them out at http://www.sendmybike.com/

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, April 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm

OK, Time for all those coming from CA to stand up and raise your hand so we can get a head count!

I’ll be first, so that’s one.

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, July 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Does Iowa have an extradition policy with California? I can’t believe its less than two weeks away. Is it too late to start practicing?

Profile photo of Robin
Robin, July 10, 2013 at 8:34 am

Three first timers coming from El Dorado Hills, CA! A little nervous about the hills and humidity but also excited.

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, July 10, 2013 at 9:21 am

Robin, Don’t worry, after the first day you won’t even notice you’re sweating profusely just standing still! Plus, you’ll be having too much fun to notice!

did you ride the “Party Pardee” ride in Ione this year?

Profile photo of Robin
Robin, July 10, 2013 at 10:57 am

Paul….yes, I did ride in Party Pardee this past year…it’s a fun one!

Profile photo of Cyfan
Cyfan, July 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

Do I count as a Californian? I was born in Iowa but did live in San Diego for 4 years. During the Iowa winters some times I wonder why I came back to Iowa.

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, July 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Do I count as a Californian? I was born in Iowa but did live in San Diego for 4 years. During the Iowa winters some times I wonder why I came back to Iowa.

Cyfan, we’re an inclusive group, so your in!

Robin, look for me, I’ll be wearing a Party Pardee jersey one of the days! How’d you like the last “hill” by the dam? that was a killer. I’m glad they were handing out candy at the top of it! I don’t think you’ll see anything like that in Iowa. So if you could do the hills from that ride you will have no problem in Iowa.

Profile photo of Robin
Robin, July 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Paul…I’ll be looking for you! My sister and I will also be wearing a Pardee jersey one of the days. Ours is from a couple of years ago (not sure if they changed the design)…

Cyfan…I was also born in Iowa but have been in CA for quite a few years. I do know the Iowa winters are not for me and am wondering if the Iowa summers will be. Should be an interesting week!

Profile photo of Cyfan
Cyfan, July 11, 2013 at 7:07 am

Robin

I think you will do fine in Iowa. The humidity will be the biggest difference. Right now it looks like the temps could be lower than it has been the last couple of years but this is Iowa and that can change overnight. You will find the people as friendly as ever so your return to Iowa should be a fun one. Welcome back to Iowa from Californian/Iowan.

Profile photo of William
Thoreau, July 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Paul:

We’re in–five SF Beat riders staying with Pork Belly (the same team that rode last year). We just rode the Giro Bello metric century out of Sebastopol and most of us have shipped our bikes. Are you organizing a get-together? Let us know if there is a meet up?

bill

Profile photo of Racingmom
Racingmom, July 13, 2013 at 2:07 am

*waves* southern California gal also staying with PBV … riding solo this year since my riding partner (youngest son) now has a life without me *cheers* … I am leaving So. Cal. on Tuesday and driving out – so if you have something you need transported, get it to me and I’ll be happy to drive it out.

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, July 13, 2013 at 10:09 am

Bill, et. al.s….

So its sounding like our CA get-together should be on the PBV grounds one night? Meet up and choose a spot to go to or just hang out for a while at the campground and meet all the other non-CA crazy PBV forum contributors!

Any eve not the day of the Karas Loop will work for me. I figure I’m passing out after getting off my bike that day. I hope it doesn’t rain that day because I’m not going to have enough left in the tank to set up my tent!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012