Forums

Forums Categories

Members

camper locations

(5 posts) (5 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by kwog
Latest reply from daveflyer 1 year, 6 months ago ago

kwog
  • This year a team member is allowing us to use a camper pulled by his truck. I know how to register but I don’t know how the camper are handled. Is there a separate area they get routed to away from the tents? Will electric be available? Water hookups, I have no idea since I am a caveman and have never had to deal with a 5th wheel camper. Anyone who travels this way please fill me in , sorry for my ignorance of the subject.

Craig

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #486702

Mario Zuniga
  • Having a 5th wheel is an advantage as you have a private shower and A/C…
    It also gives you a lot of independence as you really can park anywhere your camper will fit
    yes, they do have designated campgrounds, but we have never in 4 years made it in time to find a good spot within the camp ground..
    so instead of thinking camp ground we signup via this website to get housing..application is $3 and they will set you up with a spot where to park your camper. some times you get lucky and you get showers close by…
    If they can’t set you up(they get a lot of requests) our driver will go door to door once he arrives to the host town until he finds a spot where to park

IMPORTANT: we have our own generator, which makes us completely self-suficient

Hope this helps!!!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #487297

jwsknk
  • if you want water & electric hook ups, check with private or county parks. Dtate Fairgounds might be possible in DM about 5 miles from downtown but close to route out next day. Yellowbanks further out but on route out too. Also places up north towards Saylorville Lake. flat bike trail from there to downtown if you camp below the dam, about 10 miles from downtown.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #487307

daveflyer
  • This will be our 9th year doing RAGBRAI with an RV. It is a good way to go, but your driver has to be resourseful and you need to plan ahead. Electricity is rarely available. If you have a generator you are in much better shape, but even an on-board DC powered fan helps. If your driver can get moving early and get into the next town before most arrive there is always a chance to find electricity,but certainly not a strong likely hood.

Best bet, start now and look for campgrounds in the area and make your reservation. We often have to ride a few extra miles, but it is worth it to have electricity, water and a dump. Hope you have a great time.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #490514

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy