RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Canyou drive a stick shift from west Ia to east Iowa?

(7 posts) (4 voices)
Started 10 months, 4 weeks ago ago by Shawn
Latest reply from knees36 10 months ago ago

Tagged: 

Shawn
  • Hoping to arrive from Colorado , to CB, on sat afternoon the 20th, and have 1-2 people be willing to drive my car either part way or all the way across the state to the west side, while we are riding the route, then hoping to retrieve my car from Cedar Rapids or better yet, ft Madison and be able to continue my journey on into Illinois. If you are a responsible driver and think you might be able to help me get my car driven some or all of the way across the state, please contact me!
    Thanks
    Shawn

Posted 10 months, 4 weeks ago ago #505454

Dale Clark
  • You mean to the EAST end of the state! If someone can drive it even 50 miles from Council Bluffs to Fort Madison, would that help?

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #506995

Dale Clark
  • Yes Thank you, I do understand I could catch a charter , and may still have to.
    My hope was to eliminate the extra hours in the car and on the road, when we have already spent several coming from Colorado. We are cutting it pretty close time wise anyway.
    After the event, I was hoping to keep driving east to visit other friends and family and not have to go back across the state once again to retrieve my car.
    I am looking for non- riders who might want the luxury of having wheels so they can get up and drive to the next town, or maybe even only a few legs of the route, and not have to go when someone else wants them to. I hope someone who is responsible driver can help me out!

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #509606

knees36
  • Shawn…I’m a long time RAGBRAI rider who tore groin muscle while training for RAGBRAI last year. I’ve had to stay off my bike for nine months and am just now getting on my bike to see if the groin muscle has healed or not. If it has healed I’ll be cycling RAGBRAI, but if it turns out that it hasn’t healed and cycling is out of the question I would be happy to drive your vehicle for the entire route across Iowa. My manual transmission experience goes back a long way (to 1953 in high school and through three years of the army to 35+ years of employment and now retirement for the last 15+ years with such cars as my old ’42 Chevvy, VW Bug, Dodge Colt, Dodge Challenger, Honda Accord and now my Maxima.) Presently driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima that I bought new with a V-6 engine with a six speed manual transmission, and now have 322,870 miles on the car…accident free. I’ll be 77 years old when we ride this RAGBRAI, have a good driver rating with my insurance company, still drive without glasses and have driven in or across all but four of our United States and in many cities including New York City, Chicago, Washington DC, Atlanta, Birmingham, Omaha, Pheonix, LA, San Diego, San Fran, KC, Philly, Miami, etc. I’ve bicycled on 31 RAGBRAI’s so I know the “scoop” about vehicle/bicycle traffic plus I’m an Iowa native~still live here in Iowa~so I’m very familiar with our state traffic laws, its highways and of the communities where we’ll be overnighting. I could be your guy if I end up with a continued groin injury. I’ll know more about that as I get out on the road and train for RAG. If you can’t find a driver by the start of RAGBRAI please PM me on the RAGBRAI website and/or I can PM you if my “old groin” goes down the tubes and riding my bike is out of the question. Either way, I’ll try to keep in touch with you to determine your status. Thanks. Knees36.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #509741

Shawn
  • Hello mr knees36,
    Glad to hear it! xXOO
    Hope your groin muscle is recovered,but will be happy to talkwithyou in about 10-15 more days.i would guess you will know by then!
    Thanks
    Dale and Shawn

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #510134

knees36
  • Shawn…the groin muscle seems to be doing just fine with the training I’ve been doing, so it would seem prudent to say I’ll be biking RAG this year rather than driving your 6 speed manual vehicle. Sorry about that (but also happy that I can bike again.) I hope you can find another person who can drive for you. Thanks for your consideration. Best of luck in your search. Knees.

Posted 10 months ago ago #512685

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy