RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Cell phones

(7 posts) (7 voices)
Started 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago by Big Tim
Latest reply from mikesglobebike 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago

Big Tim
  • We are using the transport service this year, not with a team. I’ve looked but can’t find info on cell phone charging stations. Anyone know if have these in campground? I thought it was funny when the guide book said they were developing and app for the ride, kinda hard to use on a dead phone though.

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524077

Chris
  • Typically a few outlets can be found in the camgrounds that are for public use. Check the school itself if the campground is a school’s grounds; someone(s) will typically bring a power strip with them and chargers will magically just start growing from them.

If you wanted to spring for it, GoalZero makes a few different models of very nice solar chargers, too.

We haven’t had too much trouble keeping our phones charged. We charged up a few times while we were eating dinner at a VFW or church. Have your charger and cable on you when you head into town after riding; you’ll find something. As stupid as it sounds, make sure you ask before you plug in at a VFW, church, library, etc. We’ve never had someone say no, but take the curteous route.

-Chris

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524193

bramasoleiowa
  • Good luck with signal in the smaller towns. The crowd will overwhelm towers. I’ve got a GPSr that has a messenger unit to update social media sites for one-way communications (great when trying to let family know best time to meet you in a pass-through town).

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524205

tjdale
  • Most towns have libraries with free wifi and outlets. The wifi/communications trailer at the meetup and over night towns also has outlets.

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524219

10usstring
  • The GoalZero solar charger will pack small and charge just about any small device. We will find more sun than electrical outlets on RAGBRAI.

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524290

statrixbob
  • +1 on the GoalZero. I used mine in 2011 and it kept me charged up pretty well. I’ll be bringing mine again this year.

Aloha!

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524515

mikesglobebike
  • I second that I have a goal ten+. It will recharge smartphone 2 times. It cost $119.00 + taxit includes solar panel and a power pack.

Posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago ago #524870

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy