Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Chamois cream, a must for every ride!

(77 posts) (26 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by CyclingRoberto
Latest reply from dw 1 year, 5 months ago ago

CyclingRoberto
  • I am a firm believer in a happy butt means a happy cyclist. I use chamois cream on every ride. During the awful heat last July on RAGBRAI, my chamois cream never broke down or disappeared. That’s because you have to wash it off once you put it on. And it’s all organic and good for your skin. It has a funny name, nubutte, (say new butt) and it isn’t like anything you might have tried before. It isn’t water-based, so it can’t sweat off. Any way, if you want to give it a try, and save 20%, they have a discount coupon:

http://inyangi.refr.cc/GVSX4MJ

Good stuff.

What’s your chamois cream of choice? Or do you think it’s unnecessary?

See you on the road!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476224

Ragbrai Nation
  • I like the 0.3 oz. single-dose tear-open pillow packs of Chamois Butt’r. Three of them will stow away in the bike bag without taking much room. Speaking of necessities, how about few Germ-X hand sanitizing wipes singles AND a few anti-diarrheal tablets in water-proof tear-open blister sheets could save you a lot of down time.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476226

CyclingRoberto
  • The reason you have to keep reapplying Chamois Butt’r is it is a water-based product. It sweats off. Nubutte won’t do that. It’s oil-based. Goes on like a thick wax that softens as you rub it in. Stays on until you wash it off.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476229

bramasoleiowa
  • I did all of my training for last year’s ride without chamois cream/butter and without padded bicycle shorts.
    Using both on RAGBRAI was amazing.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476293

jwsknk
  • 30 RAGBRAI ‘s 1 5200 mile ride from LA to DC, and another long rid NewOrlensa to International. Falls. Never used any of those creams or other messy butters in the shorts.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476317

CyclingRoberto
  • That’s just it jwsknk, it’s not messy when it’s not water based. This stuff rubs in and protects your skin all day. It’s like skin lotion: you don’t need it, but your skin will love you for using it. New Orleans to International Falls ride sounds amazing. What was the deal with that ride?

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476318

KC
  • You own stock in the company or something, Roberto?

I like DZNuts when I do use it. I haven’t used it yet this year, but as it heats up and I go longer distances, I’m sure I will. I also hear the woman’s version (Bliss) works very well.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476353

CyclingRoberto
  • Wish I owned stock in this and Jetboil stoves. No, just like to pass on good stuff to fellow cyclists. DZNuts is another water-based product (first ingredient), and in my mind, anything water soluble is going to sweat off. This product is unique. Give it a look.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476357

jwsknk
  • In 2005 some of us who did LA to DC decided we wanted to do a short(er) ride, only 5 weeks this time so we followed the Mississippi River from 60 miles south to New Orleans to Lake Itasca then 2 1/2 more days north to Canada. Think it came out around 2300 miles

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476368

RonB
  • Bag Balm. Not water based, inexpensive, and lasts a long time. I figure if it’s good enough for cow udders, it’s good enough for me!

Down side:
    After a few uses, the chamois looks like you had an accident!!
    Have had a few bulls wink at me as I rode by!!

On necessity….long hot rides only.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476393

petra
  • While I personally use Chamois Butt’r, I fully realize that the use is very much a personal choice. I was on a ride across Missouri last summer riding with two friends. One had never tried using lubricant, the other did not like to do so, The latter advised the first person that it was unecessary. After a very uncomftable day he borrowed a packet from me and became a believer. It just goes to show that we are all different. By the way, I use the tubes before the ride and packets during to save expense. I also like that Chamois Butt’r wahes out easily on long rides since it comes easily out of my shorts when I rinse them out.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476397

CyclingRoberto
  • Bag Balm is a terrible product. Completely chemical in nature. It’s primary ingredient has been banned in Canada for use in cosmetics. Lanolin, another main ingredient, comes from sheep. As such it’s prone to contamination from pesticides and the like. The product is petroleum based.

As for only needed on “long hot rides only,” again to each his own, but every ride, winter or summer, I have my butt covered so my chamois isn’t chafing. Nubutte washes out easily. It just won’t sweat out like Chamois Butt’r or DZ Nuts. Think about: organic vs. chemistry set, or water vs natural oils.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476398

Ken
  • Holy Cow Roberto, as many miles as you ride you would think your butt would be as tough as leather and you would need to use chamois cream to protect the bike seat!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476443

CyclingRoberto
  • Ken, the reason my butt isn’t tough as leather (bad mental image) is because I use a quality chamois cream. So do all the pros. Every ride.

See you on the road.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476444

SFC JKL2
  • I like Chamois Butt’r because they sponsor us. The only time I ever use it is on Ragbrai. I always figured it was better to use it and not need it, than to not use it and wish I had.

I think the key is starting with a good pair of shorts and a seat you like.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #476446

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy