Join Us in July - Register Today!

Cold weather riding

Need to start this topic up again, because the temperatures aren’t getting warmer, and I’m sure I’m not the only one looking for new ways to stay warm while riding this winter.

66 Replies

rfattic, November 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Never thought of this till I heard it from a fellow biker. When it gets really cold he puts on his ski helmet because it keeps the ears warm along with his head. They also have less vents. I guess the majority of the skiers are now wearing helmets, At least here in North East Washington.

Michrider !!!, December 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

Interesting & simple idea for winter riding!

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

Dan in Iowa, December 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

jwsknk, you are my hero!  I’ll admit to being a cold weather wimp!  I hate riding in anything below 35!  I’m going to give it a shot this year though.  It is a matter of layering properly and I’m just now accumulating the right gear to do that well.  The problem with the good stuff is that it’s expensive!  Probably still cheaper than gas! 

Thanks for the inspiration!

Satman, December 2, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Michrider said: Interesting & simple idea for winter riding!

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

Ha!  That’s great!  I like the Kitchen Aide nameplate on the front of the bike!

jwsknk, December 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Satman said:

Michrider said: Interesting & simple idea for winter riding! http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

Ha!  That’s great!  I like the Kitchen Aide nameplate on the front of the bike!

as someone there pointed out, don’t try this with rim brakes, disk only.
Don’t want to jinx it, but haven’t had the studded tires out yet. last winter thay came out Oct. 10th. Hope this dosen’t mean winter sticks around longer into April.

Michrider !!!, December 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I just got my snow blower back today, had it tuned up.  So….if we get snow (due this Saturday) I guess I’ll take the blame!

jwsknk, December 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

iceman said:

Michrider said: I just got my snow blower back today, had it tuned up.  So….if we get snow (due this Saturday) I guess I’ll take the blame!

Ok, Mich.  Here’s your first clue that you live in too cold a climate.  You own a snow blower!!  Geez,buddy – the only thing cold is good for is chillling down the Bohemias. 

yeah, you’re retired, you should move to south Kaintuckey :-)

Dan in Iowa, December 3, 2010 at 9:56 am

These are looking good!!   http://barmitts.com/

“Bicycle Bill”, December 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

iceman said:

Michrider said: I just got my snow blower back today, had it tuned up.  So….if we get snow (due this Saturday) I guess I’ll take the blame!

Ok, Mich.  Here’s your first clue that you live in too cold a climate.  You own a snow blower!!  Geez,buddy – the only thing cold is good for is chillling down the Bohemias. 

With a handle like “iceman” I would assume that you live in a colder climate too (either that or you’re a big fan of Val Kilmer, who played the ‘Iceman’ character in the ’80s movie “Top Gun”) so you should know that another thing cold is good for is to make us appreciate the warm weather when we get it.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, December 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

“Bicycle Bill” said:

iceman said:

With a handle like “iceman” I would assume that you live in a colder climate too (either that or you’re a big fan of Val Kilmer, who played the ‘Iceman’ character in the ’80s movie “Top Gun”) so you should know that another thing cold is good for is to make us appreciate the warm weather when we get it.-“BB”-
This year, I’m hoping that the snow blower does not get as much use as last winter!

jwsknk, December 3, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Michrider said:

“Bicycle Bill” said:

iceman said:

With a handle like “iceman” I would assume that you live in a colder climate too (either that or you’re a big fan of Val Kilmer, who played the ‘Iceman’ character in the ’80s movie “Top Gun”) so you should know that another thing cold is good for is to make us appreciate the warm weather when we get it.-“BB”-

This year, I’m hoping that the snow blower does not get as much use as last winter!

snow far, snow good. nothing yet. Last year first snowfall Oct. 10

“Bicycle Bill”, December 4, 2010 at 3:11 am

FYI — it’s been snowing in the La Crosse WI area since around 6:00 PM; there’s perhaps an inch and a half on the ground and it’s still coming down.  Prediction (depending on which weather forecast you listen to) is for accumulations between 3 and 8 inches by Saturday afternoon.  Personally, and based on my years of experience living in this neck of the woods, I’m leaning towards the 4 to 5-inch mark myself.

Time to put away the ‘bent, and bring out the MTB with the knobbys.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, December 4, 2010 at 7:10 am

We got snow today.  My favorite weather woman (great smile!) says to expect 2-3 inches.  Not much by Wisconsin standards but it makes a difference here!  I’m off to spinning this morning.

jwsknk, December 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

christmas light night ride last night, cold but no snow. A few people between the 3 bars still go all out.. and we only got one “get off my lawn you kids or I’m calling the cops!” e-man was just p!ssed cause because he wasn’t out there with us :-)
Oh, and still no show here!

Michrider !!!, December 9, 2010 at 5:33 am

According to the weather channel, it’s 32 degrees in Glenwood, Iowa now.  BTW, according to M.N. that’s the start city for the 2011 ride!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters