Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Daily Distance

(8 posts) (6 voices)
Started 1 year, 5 months ago ago by runnercyclist
Latest reply from Browner 1 year, 5 months ago ago

runnercyclist
  • I’ve seen where the overall distance in 406 miles and I assume that is not including the century loop. That adds 17 miles for a total of 423. Can someone direct me to the daily mileage breakdown between cities.

It is my goal to get 500 miles during the week. We will definitely ride on Saturday a bit, but would like to pre-plan extending one of the other days to get the additional mileage. Any suggestions for add-ons are welcome!

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502542

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Once you get into the towns use your bike for any transport to showers, down to the entertainment, the food courts, etc.; especially in Des Moines.  This will add several additional miles a day.  And don’t be afraid to go a little off-route.  Usually we skirt the edges of several small towns — go off-route and poke around the community a little bit.  Even a block or two off-route can be rewarding, especially if you’re looking for a place to get a little bit of peace and quiet for a short time.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502553

jwsknk
  • get into DM early and all kinds of options. 18 to Cumming and back for example On the Great Western Trail. Trail start right there near where we enter Waterworks. All kinds of trails intersect in the park. Bill Riley Trail connects with Jordan Creek Trail or Walnut Creek trail. Or take it east by Grays Lake and up river to neal Smith / Satlorville trails. Next day is short too. add 20 on the Gay Lea Wilson trail on the way out, we cross it by Sleepy Hollow at the DM/Pleasanr Hill line. http://www.dsmbikecollective.org/resources/regional-trail-maps/

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502557

KC
  • Is the loop 17 miles or is it closer to 25 miles? Just curious…I thought it was longer.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502630

David
  • The Karras loop adds 24.5 miles. The reason why people sometimes think it adds 17 is due to reading the route incorrectly and thinking that the route doesn’t pass through Kimballton twice. The Karras loops is Kimballton -> Elk Horn -> Prairie Rose State Park -> Kimballton.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502633

Browner
  • Check out the Racoon River Valley Trail On the day into Perry, you can take the RRVT back to Yale and catch the route again. The next day, you can get on the RRVT south of Dallas Center, ride to Waukee, then then back to Dallas Center or all the way back to Perry and catch the route again. You could even ride trails all the way from Des Moines back to Perry and do the route a second time.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #502669

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy