RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

DAY 0 – Sat ride to the river…???

(9 posts) (6 voices)
Started 2 years, 2 months ago ago by BillDana
Latest reply from garider 2 years, 2 months ago ago

BillDana
  • Last year everything west of the interstate was either flooded or closed. I’m guessing that this year will be different and that a ride down to the river on Saturday will be possible. Does anyone know if there will be a semi-official route down to the river? Or will this once again be discouraged?

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7698

jwsknk
  • b-40 the probable route, Comes close to the Rock River that feeds into the Big Sioux. Oak Grove Park around the bend, might be the easiest access to Big Sioux. Have to get all the way down to Sioux City to get to the Missouri.

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7699

Ragbrai Nation
  • ***Hmm… Wondering if our team would drop us off at Oak Grove State Park. We could dip our rears in the Big Sioux River. The ride east to Expo (Sioux Center) would be a mere 16 mi. via County B40. Not bad… Then kick back, relax, have an ice cold one while enjoying the festivities and contemplate the enormity of the week lying ahead!***

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7700

BillDana
  • That park looks like the place to go… 

I wonder if anyone know if it has uncontrolled access, or if it’s has a day use fee…

I wonder if Ragbrai or Sioux Center is going to set anything up down there?

I’m sure they have thought of all this, I just haven’t heard anything…

A dip-site in town is pretty lame…

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7701

garider
  • On the chat this week TJ said that they would do “something” about a tire dip but provided no details.  I agree a trough of water or water truck in town would be lame.  I am doing RAGBRAI to ride across Iowa, not ride across Iowa “except for 16 miles”.  

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7702

gas gas
  • start towns not on the river : Sidney 1976 ragbrai # 4 . Onawa 1977 . Rock Rapids 1979 . Glenwood 1980 . Akron 1982 . Le Mars .

Some of these towns are near the border rivers but not on the river .

So RAGBRAI has a long history of not officaly starting the border or on a river .

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7703

“Bicycle Bill”
  • gas gas said: start towns not on the river : Sidney 1976 ragbrai # 4 . Onawa 1977 . Rock Rapids 1979 . Glenwood 1980 . Akron 1982 . Le Mars .

Some of these towns are near the border rivers but not on the river .

So RAGBRAI has a long history of not officaly starting the border or on a river .

Agree with gas gas about a long history of not starting on the river.

I was on RAGBRAI VII (1979) when we started in Rock Rapids.  That was a long time ago, but I think that was where they trucked in a tanker full of water from the Big Sioux.  They then used a pump and a hose to create a running stream of water through which one was able to ride.  Still not the same as actually starting from the riverbank (or going to the river for a tire dip), but not nearly as lame as just using a kiddie wading pool or a stock tank full of river water to wet your wheel.

I also remember another year when a buddy and I rode from Missouri Valley to De Soto Bend Park in order to dip our wheels.  They had just opened up a museum/visitor’s center containing artifacts from the steamboat “Bertrand”, which had recently been located and excavated there, and we got a chance to go through and see the displays.  So occasionally there’s a little something else to justify the effort to do those extra miles.

-”BB”-

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7704

BillDana
  • It would be a great fundraising opportunity for the scouts/church/fire department to setup at the Oak Grove Park, sell refreshments and welcome riders…………………………….Oak Grove Park

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7705

garider
  • I had my eye on Oak Grove Park on the map as well.  I like your idea, I hope someone up that way does as well.  I wonder if there is any chance the Sioux Center base camp would be over that way?

Posted 2 years, 2 months ago ago #7706

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy