Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Day 2, Harlan to Perry

(15 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by jwsknk
Latest reply from Lawrence 1 year, 7 months ago ago

jwsknk
  • See they left Jacksonville off the map but they put Washington Township on the map? I think there is a old school at that corner, but thats about it. Is there nothing at jacksonville or is it just off ot 44 enough they didn’t include it

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482731

jwsknk
  • Oh, and we get to do Mockingbird Hill that day too. coming out of Springbrook State Park. after that though it’s pretty flat to Perry.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482734

jwsknk
  • about half way between Hamlin and Guthrie center is M&M Divide.(Missouri & Mississippi River division line) lookes like the store there closed up quite awhile ago but still a couple of places up on the old highway. Someone really needs to set up a stand there selling m&m brownies, m&m cookies, anything with M&M’s,

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482735

knees36
  • jwsknk: jwsknk

See they left Jacksonville off the map but they put Washington Township on the map? I think there is a old school at that corner, but thats about it. Is there nothing at jacksonville or is it just off ot 44 enough they didn’t include it

There was also a gas station at that corner (occasionally filled up at 29 cents per gallon or close to that a number of years ago.) Jacksonville is off to the east, maybe a quarter mile or so and easily seen from the highway. Maybe a food stand will be set up at the corner rather than having riders cross the highway to get into the town.

jwsknkQuote

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482736

Dan in Iowa
  • Jacksonville still has a municipal pool! Look for it just before the corner turning south!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482739

Pdiddly
  • So I keep hearing about this hill by Springbrook SP. Is there some local Materhorn there? I’m beginning to think people are trying to scare us! BRING IT ON BABY!! We’ll make that hill sorry it ever got in our way.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482776

jwsknk
  • couple hundred feet climb starts off easy enough around the first turn or two. Maybe like Lehigh last year.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482778

Bill from Panora
  • never heard of Jacksonville, classmate taught at wash township school 30 years ago. rode mockingbird hill on my schwin 5 speed as a kid. steep but not long. ride p 28 south of Panora for hills south and middle rac river valleys

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #482834

jake d
  • ST, we can always count on you to know where to find the good local food. On training rides we usually just do the ‘Tour de Casey’s’. I’m starting to think I need to up my game.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487568

jwsknk
  • maybe you better stop in hamlin on the way out for that tenderloin

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487692

Dan in Iowa
  • There is NOTHING between Hamlin and Guthrie Center!! Get it while you can. It’s a little over 20 miles for that section.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487693

jwsknk
  • and that’s about all in Hamlin don’t see how he could keep up, so they better bring in lots of groups from Exira and Audubon, about half way, the N46 intersection, better have the Guard with water and some vendors around there. otherwise Kimballton to Guthrie will take it out of a lot of people and if we get heat and headwinds to go with the hills…Maybe someone will set up at the M&M divide too, thats right around there someplace although the new road kind of skirts around the “town” that was there, okay so it was a store and a few houses once upon a time.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #487737

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy