RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Day 5 Knoxville to Oskaloosa

(34 posts) (15 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Lawrence
Latest reply from jwsknk 1 year, 6 months ago ago

Lawrence
  • Pella and New Sharon would make a nice northern route…
    but hows about Albia and Eddyville to the south???

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #475529

jwsknk
  • only about 21 miles between towns, so how will the add another 30? Don’t think we will be on 63

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #475532

KC
  • The Knoxville to Pella to Bussey to Oskaloosa route looks good to me. Would they add a 1-mile detour off T-17 and include Durham in that? Durham looks incredibly small. Anybody know if anything is there?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480483

jwsknk
  • I think we will know in a couple days. Isn’t it march 10 the entire route comes out?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480556

Papa T
  • What is “Indian Way”?

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480558

David
  • Indian Way is county hwy T39. It runs in to Oskaloosa from the south west through Beacon.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480568

KC
  • Is it the 10th? I only see where it says “middle of March”. I think last year they revealed on March 11. So, March 10 would be consistent with last year. I’m very curious.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480774

Lawrence
  • Durham is TOO small.

Maybe over through Harvey?

we will find out Sunday!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480784

David
  • Durham isn’t a town. Just some gravel roads and RR tracks by a quarry. Speaking of which we should hope for a brisk east wind when riding by. I kind of doubt Harvey as well, there is only one paved road into Harvey and we would have to go down 92 a bit.

My guess is that we come down T17 from Pella then get on G71 through Bussey. That is about 20 miles. Then up T39/Indian Way to Oskaloosa. Another 16 miles or so.

That does mean pretty much 2 pass through towns for the day. But it is a short day and Pella will be an awesome pass through town. Technically Beacon is just before Oskaloosa but only by a couple miles, give or take a few depending on where you are camping.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480937

Lawrence
  • harvey has been a pass through before (XVI)

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480938

David
  • Yeah, I am not saying we won’t but it would surprise me this time. XVI the route went down 92 straight in Oskaloosa. And it started in Des Moines, pretty much one day that covers the same straight line distance as we do in 2 days this year. To get the millage they claim over 2 days we can’t take the straight down the highway route.

My guess is that this time we take T39 into Oskaloosa and go through Bussey. That is mostly based on the millage working out. The road crew and local rumors seem to confirm that. If we also go through Pella then the mileage is almost perfect to what the route announcement had.

If so then Harvey is out and we get to ride past a quarry and then a dump. One on the west side and one the east :)
    Perhaps we do go down 92 and pick up the millage elsewhere. But there are only a few places to cross the river and as much as I like southern Iowa I have to say its one fault is gravel roads and too many paved ones that aren’t connected to anything useful when they are close to rivers.

This is kind of like picking the bubble teams. In the end we all find out on Sunday.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #480941

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy