RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Des Moines

(15 posts) (8 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by jwsknk
Latest reply from knees36 1 year, 4 months ago ago

jwsknk
  • so today (1-29)in the Register a story buried back a ways about RAGBRAI & DM. sounds like right now campgrounds will be Capitol grounds, Grays lake & Waterwoorks Park, Yeah a bit spread out being at opposite ends of downtown. Plus, don’t know where people will shower. East high, northeast of the capitol is the only nearby school. Plus they will have to run busses between East Village and Waterworks, Capitol and Court Ave.
    Talking several stages and no big name show.

My thinking and some I talked to Saturday night was the stste fairgrounds would be the place. campgrounds with RV hookups, plenty of space in fenced campgrounds, bathroom & shower houses, multiple stages on the grounds for a “big” concert and smaller ones, Not right in the middle of town and that traffic to deal with getting in and out. run the shuttle downtown sown Walnut and back up Dean.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #471605

Michrider
  • JWS, ” opposite ends of downtown.”

How far is it between the opposite ends of downtown????

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #471607

jwsknk
  • downtown id probably bigger than a couple of the other overnight towns. guess is about 3, maybe 4 miles by the trails from Capitol to Waterworks

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #471608

hallyhall
  • Yeah, the State Fairgrounds would be about one of the best setups on RAGBRAI as far as having everything anyone would need and having it very accessible for locals to get to and park at. Yes, the downtown areas and East Village do have parking but they’re also going to have to block off some streets for activies and entertainment so that’ll cut down on parking already. I know they’ve camped at the Capital before, and at Ft. Des Moines around the zoo and I think they’ve camped at the fairgrounds one time as well so they’ve tried each of those areas but I’m surprised they didn’t decide to go back to the fairgrounds. That place definitely has all of the infrasture to handle everyone easily.

I know all of the towns make things work each year so it’s really a small complaint since most towns do an awesome job with what they have to work with but it just seems like DSM would have had it the easiest just using the fairgrounds and the hundreds of acres they have there for camping. Plus, I see enough of the downtown DSM area each day as it is…

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #471613

jwsknk
  • ride number one camped at the fairgrounds. Now 17, 20 and 25 were Capitol, Capitol, Ft. Des Moines/blank park zoo. I think not sure on 17 because for us it was Scotts house, brents nouse school south of zoo on county line road.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #471620

jake d
  • Part of the reason it has been so long since RAGBRAI has been back to Des Moines is the expense to the city getting riders in and out. That’s why last time we stayed at Ft.Des Moines. It was on the edge of town so there was minimal need for traffic control.

This time around they obviously want to show off the city, and what better way than having riders camp near dowtown. My guess is that the main campground will be the Capital, with most charters being at Gray’s Lake. Overflow and RV’s maybe at Water Works Park. One thing to take into cosideration is that there will be a lot of riders staying in private homes, so they probably won’t need as much space as usual.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #471777

bikejohnston
  • Keep in mind that the HyVee Triathlon is done using Grays Lake, Waterworks Park and the Capitol. The city has dealt with this kind of setup before. You can walk from Grays lake to the Capitol. I’ve done it. Yes, it’s 3.4 miles but it can be done. There are wonderful bike trails that will keep the walkers off the city streets. On your way to the capital stop at Mullets, a wonderful bike bar! The bottom line is that bigger cities are harder for RAGBRAI people but Des Moines LOVES RAGBRAI !!!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #471782

Sandaltan
  • Downtown DSM is much improved over the last ten years. I can bicycle everywhere without too much conflict with vehicle traffic. Hats off to the city of DSM from this biker.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #471934

Browner
  • DM is really pushing the East Village area of downtown and trying to make it a destination. In my opinion, it still has a ways to go, but has a really good start. A great mix of attractions, restaurants and bars. Most of the places are packed 7 days a week with locals, so adding in several thousand more people will probably swamp most of the popular establishments. If your not from the area, that may be the day to get to town early to check everything out.

Des Moines East Village

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #471936

jwsknk
  • but can you put 20,000 + people on a trail in one day? hope they realize people will be rolling in from probably before 8 am to after 8 pm. Next day expect bike traffic 5 an to noon.

I just wonder where everyong will shower and eat if you split campgrounds between the two places, doubt there will be any church dinners, have to rely on Court Ave and East village resturants or have transportation to go somewhere else. Or the usual vendors that follow us all week. If camping areas are as now rumored, maight be good for showing off downtown but not so much for the riders.Just my opinion.

I would still fairground camp and open up the stages, bars, resturants on the grounds, it’s about 3 weeks before the fair and some of those places are open anyway for other events there. And the campgrounds are open for maybe another week or so before they close for the fair campers who come in days before the fair starts to set up. Run a shuttle every 10 minutes from Ye Olde Mill down Grand, stop in east Village, goe down and drop off in front of the courthouse, pick-uo down by Second & Court take Court & Dean back to fairgrounds.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #471939

Sandaltan
  • Main campground will be Water Works Park. Unless it is flooded of course.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #494098

jwsknk
  • saw that, and there is always that possibility of a flood there. maybe we can camp at “lost planet” now lets see how many DM people remember that. Not even sure I could find it anymore.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #494313

jwsknk
  • rode through a good part of waterworks last saturday. there is an amazing amount of flat ground there for being so close to downtown. didn’t go down to the part by Fluer Drive though, just the mile of trail just hope there is no flooding.
    Should be a good day for Orlando’s, the Ike’s & Confluence.
    Heard there might be a slight change of the route since the Grand and I-35 interchange is torn up, but can’t believe they would take us all the up to Ashworth. Maybe run us through DMACC up to Mills Civic Parkway to Fuller?

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #495230

knees36
  • Yep, the DM Waterworks Park is very flat and very low. Here’s hoping that the RAGBRAI Committee will have a Plan B (maybe the Capitol Grounds or State Fair grounds) for us in the event of flooding.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #495389

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy