RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

DID YOU RIDE TODAY????

(22 posts) (12 voices)
Started 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago by Sandaltan
Latest reply from Brian Zupke 2 weeks, 3 days ago ago

Sandaltan
  • Yes we did, 32 miles round trip to our favorite motorcycle bar for breakfast with our biker buddies and the Sunday paper. A good day.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #633404

WILLLIKESJAVA
  • Did a Whoppig 10.9 miles, after a flat, a second bad tube, and a rescue from my niece since I only had one extra tube.

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #634060

Jason
  • 36 miles in a loop with 2,000′ elevation gain, max slope of 18%. That part made for a good ride. The tough part was battling 20 mph headwind for 34 of the miles. The headwind gods changed the wind every time we changed direction.

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #634104

jwsknk
  • did 70 on Root river trail over the weekend. 4-7 inches of rain in the ares friday night caused some mud slides on the trail and a couple of downed trees from Lanesboro to Preston

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #634123

Dan in Iowa
  • FINALLY! I’ve been 2 weeks off the bike doing a vacation with the motorcycle instead. Since my Waterford front wheel is being rebuilt, I rode the single speed to work and will ride it home. 25 miles today. It felt good, though cold, this morning.

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #634124

ts
  • Alas,the days are getting shorter. I stayed at work a little too long today and got caught in the dark on the way home. Time to break out the lights.

Posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago #635992

CyclingRoberto
  • Of course, lovely 40 mile ride in perfect weather. Over 10,000 miles YTD.

See you on the road.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #639338

Tom Garcia
  • Had hoped to do more this weekend but household chores and family stuff got in the way. Did manage to squeeze in a 22 mile ride on the local rail trail though on a beautiful New England fall day.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #639576

jwsknk
  • spent about 3 1/2 hours saturday building new singletrack to get an old eroding trail closed on the Story Countu Conservation Skunk River Greenbelt. Probably about 4 miles of trail right off the I-35 southbound rest area between Story City & Ames, Connects with more that leads to Story City, McFarland park, Peterson Pits and Ames.

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #639612

Sandaltan
  • We rode over 100 leisurely miles last weekend as we celebrated Columbus Day.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 9 months, 1 week ago ago #640981

Pdiddly
  • No I did not ride today….

But come out to Palm Desert on Nov. 8th for the PD Century! Wear your Ragbrai jersey. See you there. I’ll be wearing mine! Don’t forget to have a Date Shake! They’re fantastic, but don’t go with beer.

Posted 8 months, 3 weeks ago ago #650548

iceman
  • Any of you guys ever ride GRABAAWR? My wife cannot do RAGBRAI this year and is thinking about Wisconsin ride and wants to know – in comparison to, say, a central Iowa RAGBRAI – how hilly it is. She’ll likely go with a few girlfriends that are ok as riders, but not great.

Posted 8 months, 3 weeks ago ago #651083

Sandaltan
  • I last did GRABWAAWR in 2000, been a long time but the route is essentially the same every year along the Wisconsin River. I like the route, I like the organizers because they do a great job and the meal plan is usually pretty good overall. Most of the climbing is the last day but if you talk to the veterans they might tell you that you can avoid most of the hills that day by taking the main highway in. Yeah you lose rider support and the organizers advise against this but its your choice. If memory serves me correctly the other hill day was through Baraboo. The other two Bike Wisconsin rides, Bike Northwoods and SAGBRAW are less challenging with fewer miles and flatter terrain. I highly recommend these three Wisconsin rides.

http://www.bikewisconsin.com/grabaawr/

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 8 months, 3 weeks ago ago #651151

iceman
  • Thanks, ST. Should have added that my wife has a bum knee and really does not want to do GRABAAWR if there is a lot of hard climbing. Sounds like you are saying there are only two days – the day into Baraboo and the last day – with any climbing. Would you characterized those last two days as hard, intermediate or easy? Have a wild guess as to how many feet of climb on those days (I don’t see an elevation chart on the website).

Posted 8 months, 3 weeks ago ago #651217

iceman
  • Thanks, ST. Should have added that my wife has a bum knee and really does not want to do GRABAAWR if there is a lot of hard climbing. Sounds like you are saying there are only two days – the day into Baraboo and the last day – with any climbing. Would you characterized those last two days as hard, intermediate or easy? Have a wild guess as to how many feet of climb on those days (I don’t see an elevation chart on the website).

Posted 8 months, 3 weeks ago ago #651218

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy