Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Did You Ride Today (XLII Version)

(223 posts) (55 voices)
Started 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago by Pdiddly
Latest reply from Let it Snow 3 months, 2 weeks ago ago

Pdiddly
  • I just got back from the Palm Desert Century. Great ride, great weather, but NO PIE!. So I’m starting up a new thread to share our riding exploits under the XLII Banner! :)

Local riding is still good here in Nor Cal, no snow, no ice (yet). So come on out over the winter and stretch the legs. We’ll find some local curbs to hang out on.

Posted 11 months, 3 weeks ago ago #655353

ak2outside
  • I rode my trainer today! I need to ask my local gym if I can set up in the sauna. Coming from Alaska, I think I am gonna melt! Just finished registration. Can’t wait!

Posted 11 months, 2 weeks ago ago #657083

Kristin Beltz
  • I did a spin class today, as well as some individual time on the stationary bike.

Posted 11 months, 2 weeks ago ago #657328

CyclingRoberto
  • today

33 miles to bring my total for 2013 to 11,131 so far. This is along the scenic Lehigh River, PA. Take your road bike anywhere!

See you on the road!

Posted 11 months, 2 weeks ago ago #657451

Shanon Knight
  • Rode on the rollers this morning. Cold n snowy outside.

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #664823

Pdiddly
  • Nice morning 40 miler In NorCal..
    I like the Share the Road sign. Good message

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #667330

CyclingRoberto
  • I too rode 40 miles here in Eastern PA. I must say I don’t share your sentiment (pun intended) on the sign. These signs are being replaced with signs indicating that “Bicycles may use the entire lane” which makes drivers aware that bicycles don’t have to get out of “their” way in order to “share” the road. Trust me, I know that it sounds nice to share, but if I’m eating my piece of pie, I might not like having to share it. The share message indicates an obligation to give something up. The newer message just tells it like it is. It clearly informs what the law says is legal for cyclists on public roads.

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #667831

ts
  • CyclingRoberto: The share message indicates an obligation to give something up.

Exactly. It says to drivers that they must give up part of the road to cyclists, including allowing a safe margin when they pass. It also says to cyclists that, being much slower vehicles, they should make it as easy as they safely can to let cars pass. This means riding as far right as conditions allow, not “using the entire lane”. Sharing means accommodating one another to make the experience safe and pleasant for both.

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #667884

CyclingRoberto
  • Delaware has decided to replace, “Share The Road,” signs with ones that inform motorists that “Bicycles May Use Entire Lane.” PA and MD are doing the same. The League of American Bicyclists recommends using the ENTIRE lane, not staying as far as right as possible. Staying right invites unsafe passing. A motorist should cross over the mid-line completely into the oncoming lane to pass safely. Anything else is too close.

Delaware New Signs

Posted 11 months, 1 week ago ago #670263

Dan in Iowa
  • I commuted today. We’re heading to some really cold temps later this week with the high of 15. This morning it was 34. I have 55 miles left to make my year goal so I gotta get this!! Rode 40 miles yesterday and 20 on Saturday. I’m learning the right gear for the cold. Feet are still an issue. I think I have the rest figured out.

Posted 11 months ago ago #678604

rocker
  • I rode today 50 miles from Key Largo to half way to Key West. 83 degrees!!!!! I am from west central Wisconsin and the temps there are about 6 degrees. My wife did not make the trip and is not happy when I report the daily temps. Tomorrow we will go the rest of the way to Key West with three nights there to get ready for our trip back. Great winter riding!!!!

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #690851

Pdiddly
  • Rocker, I like the way you do your winter riding, In Florida! I rode 40 miles on Sunday in NorCal in the “bone-chilling” temps between 40 and 45 deg! I have no idea how someone straps on the shoes when it is 7 degrees in snow, ice and bitter, bitter cold. My hats off to you!

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #691914

jwsknk
  • yesterday morning was about -1 temp before the wind chill. today was a almost balmy 16

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #692201

rocker
  • Yesterday rode 53 miles to Key West. Temps in the low 80′s. I hit a grove in the pavement and went down. Broke the mirror on the bike and have a little road rash but otherwise everything OK. My wife who is home in WI said maybe I should have been riding my trike!!! Best winter riding I have ever done!!!

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #693366

CyclingRoberto
  • rocker, better check to see if your spouse has any little dolls with pins in them that are on bicycles… glad you’re OK.
    Got in a snowy 25 miles today. YTD, 11,885 miles.

Posted 10 months, 3 weeks ago ago #693660

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy