The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Did You Ride Today (XLII Version)

I just got back from the Palm Desert Century. Great ride, great weather, but NO PIE!. So I’m starting up a new thread to share our riding exploits under the XLII Banner! 🙂

Local riding is still good here in Nor Cal, no snow, no ice (yet). So come on out over the winter and stretch the legs. We’ll find some local curbs to hang out on.

222 Replies

Profile photo of ak2outside
ak2outside, November 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I rode my trainer today! I need to ask my local gym if I can set up in the sauna. Coming from Alaska, I think I am gonna melt! Just finished registration. Can’t wait!

Profile photo of Kristin Beltz
Kristin Beltz, November 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I did a spin class today, as well as some individual time on the stationary bike.

Profile photo of CyclingRoberto
CyclingRoberto, November 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm

today

33 miles to bring my total for 2013 to 11,131 so far. This is along the scenic Lehigh River, PA. Take your road bike anywhere!

See you on the road!

Profile photo of Shanon Knight
Shanon Knight, November 22, 2013 at 10:19 am

Rode on the rollers this morning. Cold n snowy outside.

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, November 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Nice morning 40 miler In NorCal..
I like the Share the Road sign. Good message

CyclingRoberto, November 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I too rode 40 miles here in Eastern PA. I must say I don’t share your sentiment (pun intended) on the sign. These signs are being replaced with signs indicating that “Bicycles may use the entire lane” which makes drivers aware that bicycles don’t have to get out of “their” way in order to “share” the road. Trust me, I know that it sounds nice to share, but if I’m eating my piece of pie, I might not like having to share it. The share message indicates an obligation to give something up. The newer message just tells it like it is. It clearly informs what the law says is legal for cyclists on public roads.

This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of CyclingRoberto CyclingRoberto.

This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of CyclingRoberto CyclingRoberto.

Profile photo of ts
ts, November 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm

CyclingRoberto: The share message indicates an obligation to give something up.

Exactly. It says to drivers that they must give up part of the road to cyclists, including allowing a safe margin when they pass. It also says to cyclists that, being much slower vehicles, they should make it as easy as they safely can to let cars pass. This means riding as far right as conditions allow, not “using the entire lane”. Sharing means accommodating one another to make the experience safe and pleasant for both.

CyclingRoberto, November 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Delaware has decided to replace, “Share The Road,” signs with ones that inform motorists that “Bicycles May Use Entire Lane.” PA and MD are doing the same. The League of American Bicyclists recommends using the ENTIRE lane, not staying as far as right as possible. Staying right invites unsafe passing. A motorist should cross over the mid-line completely into the oncoming lane to pass safely. Anything else is too close.

Delaware New Signs

Profile photo of Dan in Iowa
Dan in Iowa, December 2, 2013 at 11:01 am

I commuted today. We’re heading to some really cold temps later this week with the high of 15. This morning it was 34. I have 55 miles left to make my year goal so I gotta get this!! Rode 40 miles yesterday and 20 on Saturday. I’m learning the right gear for the cold. Feet are still an issue. I think I have the rest figured out.

Profile photo of Michael
rocker, December 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I rode today 50 miles from Key Largo to half way to Key West. 83 degrees!!!!! I am from west central Wisconsin and the temps there are about 6 degrees. My wife did not make the trip and is not happy when I report the daily temps. Tomorrow we will go the rest of the way to Key West with three nights there to get ready for our trip back. Great winter riding!!!!

Profile photo of Pdiddly
Pdiddly, December 10, 2013 at 10:08 am

Rocker, I like the way you do your winter riding, In Florida! I rode 40 miles on Sunday in NorCal in the “bone-chilling” temps between 40 and 45 deg! I have no idea how someone straps on the shoes when it is 7 degrees in snow, ice and bitter, bitter cold. My hats off to you!

Profile photo of jim
jwsknk, December 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm

yesterday morning was about -1 temp before the wind chill. today was a almost balmy 16

Profile photo of Michael
rocker, December 11, 2013 at 7:27 am

Yesterday rode 53 miles to Key West. Temps in the low 80’s. I hit a grove in the pavement and went down. Broke the mirror on the bike and have a little road rash but otherwise everything OK. My wife who is home in WI said maybe I should have been riding my trike!!! Best winter riding I have ever done!!!

CyclingRoberto, December 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm

rocker, better check to see if your spouse has any little dolls with pins in them that are on bicycles… glad you’re OK.
Got in a snowy 25 miles today. YTD, 11,885 miles.

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, December 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm

CR, I have very carefully examined the tea leaves and they tell me you will surpass 12K miles for the year but not before your upcoming birthday. The leaves also say you will once again return to Iowa in July and be welcomed by a man named Bob.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 222 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLII – 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012