RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

do you need a new tent for RAGBRAI ?

(6 posts) (6 voices)
Started 1 year, 5 months ago ago by gas gas
Latest reply from SFC JKL2 1 year, 5 months ago ago

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Looks like it would be OK as a sunshade or a fair-weather shelter, and I could see it at something like a Deadhead or Parrothead tailgate, but I wonder how it would stand up to a good old Iowa summer thunderstorm?

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #470664

Tsnap Xip
  • Doesn’t need to be new, but it sure better be waterproof! Guy next to me on my first RAGBRAI bought a brand new tent. Que the thunderstorm. Tent leaked. Looked like a kiddie pool inside. Everything he owned was soaked. Make sure it’s waterproof BEFORE you leave for RAGBRAI.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475037

Tony
  • While it looks cool. It would never survive an Iowa thunderstorm. Square tents make great sails. Wind gusts in a storm easily hit gale force wind speeds. They just ripe tents stakes right out of the ground. You want a low profile penta or hex dome tent. The have a lower wind load. As stated above make sure it has a good weather proof floor and walls. The chances it will rain is high. Morning dew can be heavy. I will say its not the price of a tent that makes it better. Its its design. I’ve used a Wenzel Alpine for many years. They are made be the same company that makes Kelty. In Marshalltown last year people were chasing there tents that got blown away. I remained dry in my Alpine. What ever you get. Check it before you get to RAGBRAI.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475262

tjdale
  • What Tony says….and seal the seams even if the label says they are factory sealed! Seam sealer from Wallyworld at about $3.50 will do 2-3 small 2 man tents easily.

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475601

SFC JKL2
  • I bring my old tent to Ragbrai. It’s disposable like everything else I bring. I paid $40 for it and have lived in it over a year now. It’s a shame my other investments haven’t worked out that good…

Posted 1 year, 5 months ago ago #475606

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy