RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Entertainment on RAGBRAI

(21 posts) (9 voices)
Started 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago by knees36
Latest reply from knees36 9 months, 2 weeks ago ago

knees36
  • Well, we might want to express our thoughts to RAG officials about our entertainment for 2014. You might want to check out 1Funny.com Newsletter’s “The Dutch Army’s Bicycle Band” for a new approach to cycling and entertainment. Whatch’ya think?

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #601436

Ragbrai Nation
  • Invite them to ride along next year on XLII, Knees. I think they would fit right in on the last passthrough town each day if not the Meeting Town.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #605028

knees36
  • Yep, I think they’d be a hoot and they just might be a “positive” in our international relations. They kinda remind me of Nemaha’s Farmall Tractor square dancing group as far as being a hit for originality and “downhome” fun. Cheers.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #605474

“Bicycle Bill”
  • And maybe they’d make room for “Nice Brass” Alicia Rau (Trumpet Chick) to join them.

-”BB”-

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #605475

Sandaltan
  • It must have been a slow day in Webster County when you found that one!! I liked it!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #606281

knees36
  • Well, Beebs, I’d bet those Dutch folk would make room for Alicia. They are pretty laid back group of people from what I can gather. She’d fit right in with her trumpet skills.

And ST, yes, it was a slow day when I happened to stumble onto the Dutch Army Band. At first I was jesting a bit on the RAG website when I suggested they might be a group that RAGBRAIer’s might like (or at least some of us), but I’d bet they could put on quite a concert for us. The US Air Force has quite a band that tours the country (they’ve given concerts in Dodge for several years) and they are very good!!! They can play all kinds of music, and, at no cost to their audience and they seem to be having a good time as well. Quite a few years ago RAGBRAI had a U.S. (service) band (can’t remember which branch of service now) and they put on quite the concerts to a huge RAG crowd. Maybe if we can get past the sequestrian (sp) bojangle we could have another service band on RAG. When they were on the ride during those years they played for several nights at the overnight towns~~~neat. And, yes, I liked the Dutch Army band as well. Nice entertainment for a change. Cheers.

Posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago ago #606441

Michrider
  • knees36: Well, we might want to express our thoughts to RAG officials about our entertainment for 2014. You might want to check out 1Funny.com Newsletter’s “The Dutch Army’s Bicycle Band” for a new approach to cycling and entertainment. Whatch’ya think?

I thought the towns, not RAGBRAI, were in charge of their own entertainment! Am I mistaken????

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #608054

jwsknk
  • Yep its the towns. RAGBRAI could make sure they all get registered to ride.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #608297

SFC JKL2
  • Not familiar with the Dutch Army. The Swiss Army has some pretty nice bikes they carry on the back of most of their vehicles. They look similar, but have brooks springer seats, a tool kit, and a front brake that is a bar with a rubber pad you push straight down onto the top of the tire.

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #608429

knees36
  • Mich, you’re right, of course. I’ve known for a long time that the overnight towns were footing the bill for their chosen entertainment. I was using the term, “RAGBRAI” rather loosley in this case. Shame on me. Anyway, I’d bet that the overnight towns probably shared the cost with each other of bringing in the service band for their entertainment…and it was good lively music that people seemed to really enjoy.

Now to the question: Could it be done again with overnight towns getting together to have a service band provide entertainment? Generally speaking from listening to them in the past…they are a talented group and provide a wide range of musical styles. Any bikers out there interested in this kind of entertainment at several ovenights for 2014?

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #608732

Michrider
  • I hope that Jordan Holm is back for RAGBRAI in 2014! Oooppss, that should be the Johnny Holm band!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #609129

HillsAngels1
  • I agree with you Mich hope “Jordan” makes it back in 2014. And get LEFTY better so we can do some rides in Ky. next spring

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #609150

Sandaltan
  • Speaking of Lefty…how is Lefty???? Have you scheduled the surgery??? Do not put this off!!! Maybe you can film the event and we can have a premiere showing in the start town next year. You could show off the scar to all the ladies as you sit perched on the kurb with your ice cold Bud Light. Think of all the attention!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #610337

Michrider
  • Sandaltan: Speaking of Lefty…how is Lefty???? Have you scheduled the surgery??? Do not put this off!!! Maybe you can film the event and we can have a premiere showing in the start town next year. You could show off the scar to all the ladies as you sit perched on the kurb with your ice cold Bud Light. Think of all the attention!!!

Lefty and I are trying one more round of synvisc before we allow them to chop up the knee. If the synvisc doesn’t work, I’ll be scheduling the surgery ASAP. I’m planning to be back in Iowa in 2014!!!!

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #610531

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Mich, remember that scars are merely tattoos that have a better back story than “I must have been really drunk one night….”

-”BB”-

Posted 10 months, 1 week ago ago #610605

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy