Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Fat Bike on Ragbrai

(16 posts) (15 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by FarleyBob
Latest reply from lisa o 1 year, 9 months ago ago

FarleyBob
  • I am getting a new Fat Bike for winter fun and whatever else I can find to ride through! Did anyone see fat bikes on Ragbrai last year? Mine will be a Salsa Mukluk…. :)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #475936

Tsnap Xip
  • I’ve seen a few mountain bikes, but no Fat Bikes. Anyone else see a Fat Bike?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476040

rocker
  • I saw a couple Fat Bikes last year.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476065

jwsknk
  • I saw unicycles, fixies, single speeds, mountain bikes, cycylocross bikes, touring bikes, road bikes, racing bikes, tandems, bent tandems, trikes, tandem trikes, two wide tandems, people pulling everything you can think of from bobs to boats (yes one year a guy was towing a canoe) someone with a sail on the bike and people with the kitchen sink on the back, race cars and banans….. now was there a fat bike in the someplace…. wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476074

Gypsy Rose
  • Yes, fat bikes were there last year and the year before. (They give off a clear, audible warning when near. Those monster tires are LOUD, making their proximity easily discerned.)

~ Kevin

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476076

ts
  • Planning to cut through the fields?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476187

SFC JKL2
  • I have seen one the last three years. My question is why put yourself thru that much torture?

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476221

tacook
  • Go for it if you want the added challenge, but that’s a waste of expensive tires

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476225

CyclingRoberto
  • Do it on whatever you like, but trust me, you might regret anything other than a road bike. Since it is a road ride, and road bikes are specifically designed for the road, I’d say a road bike over something like a Fat Bike.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476227

Sandaltan
  • I see the Salsa Mukluk goes for nearly $2,500, quite a snow machine!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476236

FarleyBob
  • I will be riding the road bike on Ragbrai like always, I just did not recall seeing any Fat’s on Ragbrai the last couple of years. I don’t need the extra work of riding a fat bike! I need to get to that beer garden refreshed! :)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476319

stevev
  • Last year on that really hot and windy day there was a farmhouse right at the Karras loop turn off. They were selling hot buttered corn for a buck and had shade trees. Anyway, i was talking to a guy who was riding a fat bike. He said while fun maybe next year he would ride a regular road bike. I think there were at least two different one that i saw.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #476394

LT Young
  • Congrats on the Mukluk. I have one and they are a blast all year long. I would not suggest one for RAGBRAI due to gearing more than rolling resistance. If your fat bike is your only bike, consider a pair of Black Floyds and save the Nates for off road.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #477166

Greg I-Fly-Sky
  • I can for sure say that I saw two fat tire bikes in 2012 RAGBRAI. Didn’t pay much attention to what brand/model they were.

Posted 1 year, 9 months ago ago #478629

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy