• Categories

• Topics

Members

first time rider

(32 posts) (21 voices)
Started 1 month, 3 weeks ago by bphawkeye
Latest reply from Charlie S 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Charlie Charlie S 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Have ridden a couple of legs a couple of years ago. I am hoping to go the whole route for the first time this year. Bucket list thing. I will be riding solo and am planning on using a charter service. Are there normally a lot of solo riders out there? I’m a fairly social person and would like to ride and hang out with other riders without feeling like a uninvited guest. Born and raised Iowan living in warmth of Fla

• Profile photo of Ken
    KenH
  • I’ve never had trouble finding decent showers and PBV will let outsiders use theirs but if you want to go with PBV I doubt you will be disappointed.

I don’t have much hope that there is a Fuji-Absolute-1.0, Illinois for me to move to so that I could match you in that respect but I could easily have my name emblazoned on my tires!

Posted 1 month ago ago #1260783

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • KenH: I’ve never had trouble finding decent showers and PBV will let outsiders use theirs but if you want to go with PBV I doubt you will be disappointed.

PBV showers are free for PBV campers, all other users pay $5 or $6 (with towel). PBV is my favorite charter and a great choice!!! https://pkbelly.com/content/emailedUpdate/2017_invitation

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Posted 1 month ago ago #1260795

• Profile photo of George
    George A
  • Charlie S.,

Brancel typically has a shower truck with them the whole week. While it is not included in the cost of using them for the week it is one of the extra perks they have available. It cost about $6.00 per day for the shower and a towel, and anyone can use it.

As Ken H said finding a shower is not that difficult. There seems to more of the portable shower trucks/trailers that follow Ragbrai from town to town than in the past.

Posted 1 month ago ago #1260869

• Profile photo of Ken
    KenH
  • “PBV showers are free for PBV campers”

Now, now, now, nothing is free with PBV or any other club/charter/team or with rare exceptions anywhere at RAGBRAI! You paid for it, no matter what it is at RAGBRAI, and again with rare exceptions you got a good value for your $$$.

RAGBRAI don’t care and she always collects her fee!!

Posted 1 month ago ago #1260875

• Profile photo of Brent
    cyduke
  • Back in the old days (1980’s) I would knock on the door of a home, and offer five bucks for a shower -turned down only once, and you get to visit with some really nice people. Nowdays, showers are a dime a dozen. Ridley. Enjoy your RAGBRAI.

Posted 1 month ago ago #1260941

• Profile photo of James
    SFC JKL2
  • We had a guy on our team that used to knock on doors (we used bags at that time). He said he never had to knock on more than three before someone let him in. Now, tankless water heaters are the only way to go.

Posted 1 month ago ago #1261041

• Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
  • another charter option is OOS. I have used them for 13 years and will be again this year. they have always done a great job.

Posted 4 weeks, 1 day ago ago #1261119

• Profile photo of Linda
    Linda Wiard-Bauer
  • This will be my first time. I am riding solo, and NOT using a charter service. I will be using RAGBRAI baggage service and setting up my own tent. I just cannot afford any services. But I have heard that there are plenty of opportunities to meet people and have an awesome good time!

Posted 4 weeks, 1 day ago ago #1261156

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • Linda Wiard-Bauer: This will be my first time. I am riding solo, and NOT using a charter service. I will be using RAGBRAI baggage service and setting up my own tent. I just cannot afford any services. But I have heard that there are plenty of opportunities to meet people and have an awesome good time!

Linda, if you talk to people, most will respond, in a positive manner! Use the license plate provided in your RAGBRAI package to identify yourself. Just talk it up along the route. You will have a great time! Unfortunate but I will not be riding this year. I’m recovering from surgery to repair a ruptured bicep tendon. Yes, it still hurts like hell!!!
    Have a great time!!!
    BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Posted 4 weeks, 1 day ago ago #1261159

• Profile photo of Chuck
    Dockat
  • You don’t need a charter. The trucks are great. if you can’t get your stuff to them by 8:00 get a charter / taxi.

Posted 4 weeks ago ago #1261169

• Profile photo of Charlie
    Charlie S
  • Another RABRAI virgin question: Is there any way to recharge battery-powered devices like a cell phone and GPS if using the basic Register service?

I know that the charters offer this service to their campers – does anyone know if they also offer the use of recharge facilities to outsiders for a fee as they do with with showers?

Posted 3 weeks, 6 days ago ago #1261412

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • You can recharge at a church when ever you stop to eat at one, or a public library during the day. PBV trailer has hundreds of little cubby holes that lock so you might need a small lock of some sort. sure that Michrider will answer if non PBV people can rent time in there.

Posted 3 weeks, 6 days ago ago #1261439

• Profile photo of Brian
    bmyoungberg
  • I recharged last year at a variety of places: city library, college, school, McDonalds and at a ballfield. Even in the middle of the day, I nicely asked a store owner and they let me charge for 30 minutes while in town. One tip is to bring a surge protector to charge multiple items at once PLUS a battery that you can use during the ride.

Posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago ago #1261503

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy