Forums Categories

Members

GOOD EATS–what are you looking forward to finding

(27 posts) (20 voices)
Started 7 months, 1 week ago ago by Tucker
Latest reply from Here4TheRide 6 months, 2 weeks ago ago

Tagged: 

Tucker
  • OK, we’ve got the pie thread; but what else have you run into over the years. Or, what is something you hope to find when you get to a new town. Myself; I’m on a never-ending quest for the perfect pork tenderloin sandwich. I’m also a sucker for a good Reuben (that means REAL DARK RYE BREAD, none of these marble rye imitations for the white wonder bread crowd)

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751298

jwsknk
  • fungus free and banana free, just about anything else though will do. on pass through town had a fruit cup bar set up where they were just cutting and putting into trays, you filled your own cup you got from the cashier. probably have to build a sneeze guard over i
    it now.

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751300

knees36
  • On a previous RAGBRAI some time ago~~~the best lasanga ever at the Emmetsburg Catholic Church. Hope to be make a beeline to the church again this year.

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751301

Clayhill
  • Ohhh- Mama Raphaels, but there is no chance of that I think.

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751302

Sandaltan
  • Marinated turkey tenders by the local turkey farmers, pork tenderloins grilled by the local county pork producers and sweet corn from the farm family that planted the corn. Give it up Iceman, Mama Raphael has long ago cooked his last meal west of Tennessee.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751303

T. Gap Woo
  • When Mrs. Woo & I travel, we try to eat what the locals eat, whether it’s Virginia ham, Maryland crabcakes, New England clam chowder, or whatever. On RAGBRAI 41, we feasted on Iowa pork chops and sweet corn. Pella’s S-cookies were a great treat!

This year, we are looking forward to breakfast (farm-fresh eggs, bacon, pork sausage, pancakes and cornmeal mush), lunch (pulled pork sandwich, Blue Bunny ice cream/milkshakes and pie of all types), and dinner (steak, baby back spare ribs and corn bread in the heartland and breaded, deep-fried catfish with hush puppies in Guttenberg, all washed down with some fine Iowa wines).

Of course, we’ll still have our share of buttered, lightly salted sweet corn. Mrs. Woo also plans to stop at several farmstands along the way to buy fresh fruit & veggies to munch in the evening. We definitely won’t go hungry!

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751304

Bear59
  • I’m anticipating the fresh baked cinnamon rolls in the morning and Turkey Toms smoothies.

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751305

SFC JKL2
  • Beekmans always hits the spot. One of each please.

Posted 7 months, 1 week ago ago #751306

bevelyn382
  • Beekmans is what we sho0t for each day. I usually try for a smoothie along the way and breakfast in the morning is always a must with stops for pancakes or cinnamon rolls. As a group we decide ahead of time where to stop in the morning. Overall I eat whenever I need a break from the saddle. These towns go to a lot of effort to provide us with tasty food. My husband finds it harder to find things to eat being a vegan but he usually eats at Hy-vee or one of the churches.

Posted 7 months ago ago #751400

tjdale
  • Dutch Letters, Carbo Hutt, water melon, Amish ice cream.

Posted 7 months ago ago #751433

Michrider
  • Pie along with a cold Budweiser, consumed while I sit on an Iowa Kurb!!!!

Posted 7 months ago ago #751435

Pdiddly
  • Great tasting water melon at the top of a hill on a very hot day! Follow that with some strawberry-rhubarb pie and a bloody Mary or two! Let’s see after that a pulled pork sandwich with a cold beer. Then a stop a Beekman’s for some ice cream and a nap under a tree.

Posted 7 months ago ago #751453

Jeff Boyer
  • Last year when we stopped in Bussey, there was a small farm stand across from the mural that was selling simple tomato sandwiches…2 slices of bread, 4 slices of ruby red home grown tomatoes, a schmear of mayo, and salt & pepper. Man did that hit the spot with a can of Miller Lite!

Posted 7 months ago ago #751522

zabo
  • Breakfast: Pancakes. I hope to find them early.

Lunch: CarboHut or a local alternative that is healthy. Lasagna…not so healthy but it tastes great and fills the inevitable void. That tomato and mayo sandwich sounds good even now!

Dinner: Church dinners. They are usually better in quality and sometimes less expensive. They are sometimes fantastic. I have had great spaghetti, chicken and noodles, and pecan pie.

In between: pickles, pie

Posted 7 months ago ago #751544

Michrider
  • Pancakes, pork, pie and last but not least, beer, that’s my diet for RAGBRAI week!!!! Just remember that RAGBRAI don’t care bout what we eat!!!!

Posted 7 months ago ago #751546

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy