Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Good fall rides

(8 posts) (7 voices)
Started 1 year ago ago by Jason
Latest reply from Michrider 1 year ago ago

Jason
  • Four friends and I drove through the rain from Dallas to Mena, AR for a great fall ride last weekend. We managed a 12 mile warm up ride Friday night, then rode 70 miles in the annual Wheel A Mena ride on Saturday, then rode 30 miles as a recovery ride on Sunday.
    The attraction to Mena was the scenery, the climbs (5,300′) on Saturday and the hospitality. Absolutely have to give the ride volunteers an A+ for their friendliness.
    Is anybody else doing any great fall rides to maintain their Ragbrai conditioning?

Posted 1 year ago ago #618484

Pdiddly
  • Sounds like a great ride. I rode around Lake Tahoe two weeks ago then did a century out of Santa Rosa last weekend. Now I’m in recovery mode for a few more weeks. I think Death Valley is calling my name in another month. The temps should be tolerable by then. When you live on the Left Coast you got no excuse not to ride….

Honestly, I am in awe of you winter riders in the East and Midwest. I don’t know how you do it in the sleet, snow and rain. BRUTAL. The idea that you have to change your cassette clusters and chain rings out because they get worn out by sand and salt erosion is incredible.

Happy Trails.

Posted 1 year ago ago #618706

jwsknk
  • Wayne from ames Tall Dogs did the Tahoe ride. Skunks heading up to Root River , se minnesota, Oct 4-6 to ride. Going to head up to Minneapolis this weekend. Hope to hit the High Trestle Trail a few more times this year. Chains take a beating in the snow / salt too. That gets changed every year. Chain ring and cassette get by okay. Do need different grease for the sub zero temps.

Posted 1 year ago ago #619484

mootsman
  • SFC JKL2,

Love the 6 Gap Century. I’m from Minnesota and managed to ride it 3 times so far. 11,200 feet of climbing. I’m hoping next time I hit it I won’t have to train as hard since I bought with lower gearing. Hogpen Gap is still the toughest climb I’ve ever done.

Last year I did the Potosi Brewery Century in SW Wisconsin (www.postosibrewery.com). A nice ride that includes good craft beer after the ride as part of the registration fee (a good meal also). Actually I have’t been on a Century in Wisconsin that didn’t include post-ride beer as part of the fee.

Posted 1 year ago ago #620882

swmnrider
  • The 22nd annual University of Okoboji Oktoberfest Ride is Saturday, Sept. 28, and begins at Arrowwood Resort in Okoboji, IA. Online Registration for only $25 ends at 5 p.m. on Sept. 27. On-site registration will be from 8 – 10 a.m. Saturday for $30. It’s a 27 mile ride. Goes around West Okoboji Lake.

Posted 1 year ago ago #621669

Michrider
  • Sounds like we have a good selection of rides for the fall. I did notice that none of them mention packing a concealed firearm!!!!

Posted 1 year ago ago #623142

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy