Forums Categories

Members

Guns on RAGBRAI?

(46 posts) (24 voices)
Started 1 year, 1 month ago ago by 10yr RAGBRAI Rider
Latest reply from Sandaltan 1 year ago ago

Tagged: 

10yr RAGBRAI Rider
  • I’ve just learned that several members of a team rode RAGBRAI 2013 with small caliber guns. If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.

Anyone else?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #610804

velomel
  • It would certainly get you to the front of the kybo line in a hurry.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #610928

Gockeye
  • Wow.

I’m licensed to carry, and I often do here in South Florida, but if there’s any place on this planet where I feel safe without a gun, it’s on the rural roads of Iowa, surrounded by 25,000 of my friends.

There is NO NEED to pack heat on RAGBRAI. Geez, guys, leave ‘em at home.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #610969

gregonline
  • If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.
    Oh come on now
    Why would that be a reason to quit?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611093

Sandaltan
  • Sounds like a rumor to me and I put no faith in rumors like this. He said, they said, she said, I read it on a blog, a friend’s cousin said……. probably crapola. RAGBRAI Nation is a remarkably well behaved crowd, there were 109 arrests during last Saturday’s Iowa vs Iowa State football game in Ames, almost all alcohol related. There were zero arrests during our overnight party in downtown Des Moines.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611096

“Bicycle Bill”
  • With between 10K and 15K riders on RAGBRAI I would be surprised to find out that the event was entirely firearm free.  If a person has a valid concealed-carry permit and is in the habit of carrying a weapon, why would they leave it home on a bike ride?  A concealed weapon is kinda like a guy’s penis; as long as it is used appropriately and not being waved around in front of everybody, I’ve got no problem with him having it.

And speaking of guns, did you-all see the articles about a week ago about Iowa allowing the legally-blind to be able to get concealed-carry permits?  My mother is legally blind and I would no more entrust her with a firearm than I would a driver’s license.  Something like this scares me far more than the possibility that the guy behind me in a paceline is packing a pistol in his panniers.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611116

10yr RAGBRAI Rider
  • Nope, not a rumor.

I posted this to see if others were aware of armed riders. I’m not careless enough to bring up guns and identify people/details in this forum.

If it’s not a big problem, fine. I’ll let the RAGBRAI officials decide on that.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611279

pmac
  • Geez, who would want to tote around the extra weight? What are they worried about, mutant cornstalks?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611311

SFC JKL2
  • 10yr- I’m not sure about on the road, but I can 100% guarantee we have multiple people who are armed.

Thanks for clearing the road for sane people to ride. I’ll drink a beer in your honor next year. Scurry back to your hovel and cower.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611332

Michrider
  • I’ve heard there are even people who drink alcohol on RAGBRAI!!! However, I don’t think it’s true!!!!

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611752

Davy Sprocket
  • I didn’t think anyone could see my biceps so sorry for creating a guns on ragbrai issue. I will wear long sleeves next year to avoid this problem. LOL.

I have an Iowa concealed carry permit and when riding in Iowa I do generally pack, but not on Ragbrai. That said, I do keep my Peace (pun intended) in my RV. If someone packs and is legal, then they know how to use it and you have no worries. It’s the folks that aren’t legal that you should be worried about, but they are the ones you wont hear about. Just ride and relax. I’ve got you covered. ;-)

davy

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #611753

SFC JKL2
  • Well said Davy.

10yr- Gun-free Chicago just took over gun-free Washington DC as the murder capitol of the US. (big shoot out Rahmbo)

Be careful what you wish for.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #612148

Excited Rider
  • It seems if someone carry gun in this event, probably looking for trouble. I agree with many commenters’ opinions that if people carry arms, it is not a safe place. A simple conversation can turn into massacre such as a few prejudice people want to have fun and show off with their concealed arms. This is a social event and not place for these type of nut heads.

I vote against carrying any arms in RAGBRAi.

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #612153

SFC JKL2
  • Dear thieves,

If you want to get rich go to Maryland. People who live there don’t like guns and appear to be rather unintelligent.

How does that old saying with “if you outlawed racists with guns” go?

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #612422

SFC JKL2
  • With all the murders and ride-by-shootings last year, I’ll be surprised if anyone shows up next year…

Posted 1 year, 1 month ago ago #612423

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy