The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Guns on RAGBRAI?

I’ve just learned that several members of a team rode RAGBRAI 2013 with small caliber guns. If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.

Anyone else?

45 Replies

Profile photo of Mel
velomel, September 20, 2013 at 10:46 am

It would certainly get you to the front of the kybo line in a hurry.

Profile photo of Gockeye
Gockeye, September 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

Wow.

I’m licensed to carry, and I often do here in South Florida, but if there’s any place on this planet where I feel safe without a gun, it’s on the rural roads of Iowa, surrounded by 25,000 of my friends.

There is NO NEED to pack heat on RAGBRAI. Geez, guys, leave ’em at home.

Profile photo of gregonline
gregonline, September 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

If that’s the case, then I’m done with RAGBRAI.
Oh come on now
Why would that be a reason to quit?

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, September 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Sounds like a rumor to me and I put no faith in rumors like this. He said, they said, she said, I read it on a blog, a friend’s cousin said……. probably crapola. RAGBRAI Nation is a remarkably well behaved crowd, there were 109 arrests during last Saturday’s Iowa vs Iowa State football game in Ames, almost all alcohol related. There were zero arrests during our overnight party in downtown Des Moines.

RIDE RIGHT

Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
“Bicycle Bill”, September 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

With between 10K and 15K riders on RAGBRAI I would be surprised to find out that the event was entirely firearm free.  If a person has a valid concealed-carry permit and is in the habit of carrying a weapon, why would they leave it home on a bike ride?  A concealed weapon is kinda like a guy’s penis; as long as it is used appropriately and not being waved around in front of everybody, I’ve got no problem with him having it.

And speaking of guns, did you-all see the articles about a week ago about Iowa allowing the legally-blind to be able to get concealed-carry permits?  My mother is legally blind and I would no more entrust her with a firearm than I would a driver’s license.  Something like this scares me far more than the possibility that the guy behind me in a paceline is packing a pistol in his panniers.

-“BB”-

Profile photo of Brian
10yr RAGBRAI Rider, September 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Nope, not a rumor.

I posted this to see if others were aware of armed riders. I’m not careless enough to bring up guns and identify people/details in this forum.

If it’s not a big problem, fine. I’ll let the RAGBRAI officials decide on that.

Profile photo of pmac
pmac, September 20, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Geez, who would want to tote around the extra weight? What are they worried about, mutant cornstalks?

Profile photo of James
SFC JKL2, September 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm

10yr- I’m not sure about on the road, but I can 100% guarantee we have multiple people who are armed.

Thanks for clearing the road for sane people to ride. I’ll drink a beer in your honor next year. Scurry back to your hovel and cower.

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, September 20, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I’ve heard there are even people who drink alcohol on RAGBRAI!!! However, I don’t think it’s true!!!!

Profile photo of Kent
Davy Sprocket, September 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I didn’t think anyone could see my biceps so sorry for creating a guns on ragbrai issue. I will wear long sleeves next year to avoid this problem. LOL.

I have an Iowa concealed carry permit and when riding in Iowa I do generally pack, but not on Ragbrai. That said, I do keep my Peace (pun intended) in my RV. If someone packs and is legal, then they know how to use it and you have no worries. It’s the folks that aren’t legal that you should be worried about, but they are the ones you wont hear about. Just ride and relax. I’ve got you covered. 😉

davy

Profile photo of James
SFC JKL2, September 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Well said Davy.

10yr- Gun-free Chicago just took over gun-free Washington DC as the murder capitol of the US. (big shoot out Rahmbo)

Be careful what you wish for.

Profile photo of Ben
Ben.A, September 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

It seems if someone carry gun in this event, probably looking for trouble. I agree with many commenters’ opinions that if people carry arms, it is not a safe place. A simple conversation can turn into massacre such as a few prejudice people want to have fun and show off with their concealed arms. This is a social event and not place for these type of nut heads.

I vote against carrying any arms in RAGBRAi.

Profile photo of James
SFC JKL2, September 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Dear thieves,

If you want to get rich go to Maryland. People who live there don’t like guns and appear to be rather unintelligent.

How does that old saying with “if you outlawed racists with guns” go?

Profile photo of James
SFC JKL2, September 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

With all the murders and ride-by-shootings last year, I’ll be surprised if anyone shows up next year…

Profile photo of Brian
10yr RAGBRAI Rider, September 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Folks:
Can we return to the original topic, “How do you feel about guns on RAGBRAI?” and refrain from casting aspersions on the various authors or their opinions?

And maybe hear from others who haven’t posted their opinions yet?

Thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLI – 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012