The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Hawarden

I will be coming in Saturday afternoon and would like to make the ride to Hawarden but don’t think i’ll have enough time. Does anyone know if there will be people giving rides from Orange City to Hawarden? Would like to say I crossed the whole state being this is my first attempt at RAGBRAI. If not this could be a goal for next year!

Bob

13 Replies

Profile photo of Amanda
Amanda, May 20, 2017 at 7:59 am

Did you have a comment? I don’t see it.

Profile photo of Bob
Bob Kidd, May 20, 2017 at 8:44 am

Try this again

I will be coming in Saturday afternoon and would like to make the ride to Hawarden but don’t think i’ll have enough time. Does anyone know if there will be people giving rides from Orange City to Hawarden? Would like to say I crossed the whole state being this is my first attempt at RAGBRAI. If not this could be a goal for next year!

Bob

Profile photo of Ken
KenH, May 22, 2017 at 7:05 am

I believe Amanda is from OC so she would be a good person to get information from. I don’t know why she did not see your post, I can see the original and the repost just fine. It would be nice if the RAGBRAI SAG vans and trailers could be enlisted to provide this service for those who like to ride coast to coast in years when the start town is not on the border. Just saying….

Failing that, locals with pickup trucks and crew cabs could make a few bucks ferrying folks to the border. If nothing official is organized, one could always approach someone getting into a pickup and ask them if they’d be willing. During RAGBRAI week ploys like this tend to get positive responses.

But I think I will write the RAGBRAI help desk and suggest that the SAG teams be available to ferry folks to the border.

Profile photo of Bob
Bob Kidd, May 22, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Ken, thanks for the idea and digging deeper into this! I’m sure there would be a number of people wanting to hitch a ride to Hawarden.

Profile photo of William
W Fanning, May 22, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Me being one.. Ken, thanks for the tips.. Saturday morning I’ll be looking for anyone that might take me to Hawarden.. I rather bike 25-30 miles.. then 50-55 miles.. knowing I got a full week to ride…

Profile photo of Carl
Carl Anderson, May 23, 2017 at 6:13 am

I am coming on Friday and checking in to PBV then Saturday morning to Hawarden and back to Orange City, then to the activities that night. So I hope I will not be the only one doing this Saturday Morning. You are more then welcome to join me. I am not a fast rider. I am a fairly steady13 mph rider. I ride to relax and look around in the Groves .

Profile photo of Amanda
Amanda, May 23, 2017 at 9:04 am

Now I see both! Sorry! Actually I live in Alton but I work in OC and I am on the advisory board. I know the committee was thinking about a bus or rides to Hawarden but I am not sure what they decided. John W is on the committee and I have seen his posts on the forum. I will contact someone today and find out. RAGBRAI will be here soon!

Profile photo of William
W Fanning, May 23, 2017 at 10:11 am

Carl Anderson.. I also plan on being in OC on Friday night, I’m camping with PBV the whole week.. this is my 1st RAGBRAI.. RAGBRAI wouldn’t be complete without a border to border ride.. a nice easy ride to the river sounds good to me… then enjoy everything OC has to offer…

This reply was modified 1 month ago by Profile photo of William W Fanning.

Profile photo of Ken
KenH, May 23, 2017 at 10:58 am

I did suggest to the RAGBRAI helpdesk that they bus or SAG folks over to the border this year. I unexpectedly got a response from TJ himself. He said they would publish a map to the border (a dip site I presume but he did not say that) and that it would likely be 30 miles each way. He did not acknowledge my suggestion to take folks there using the SAG vans and trailers. If that is something you would like to see it will take more than just me suggesting it, so you know what to do!

I actually won’t be going to the border or dipping in the windmill lined canal that has had Missouri River water dumped in it which I hear OC is going to provide this year. My team has decided to share the support vehicle driving duties among us this year so I won’t be riding border to border anyway. That makes the ride to the border not worth the time and effort for me and the trucked in river water thing just doesn’t appeal to me at all but it is nice that OC will provide it for those who find some value or charm in it.

Profile photo of George
George A, May 23, 2017 at 1:29 pm

For everyone that is going to ride to Hawarden and back be safe.

For me Ragbrai starts in the official start town and ends in the finish town. At the start I never feel the need to go find the river unless it is right in the start town. This year my son and I will spend Friday night and all day Saturday in Orange City relaxing and feeling the Ragbrai vibe that will build throughout the day on Saturday.

I will definitely not dip in a tub/tank/canal of trucked in water. That seems very silly to me.

Profile photo of George
George A, May 23, 2017 at 2:00 pm

In addition I am not nearly as experienced as many on this forum, but I have learned that letting things flow as they come is a great way to do RAGBRAI. I tend to plan ahead in detail for most endeavors but have found for RAGBRAI that can actually limit the experience. RAGBRAI is good therapy for me. LOL

My advice for first timers is to have your plan locked down on how to get to the start, how your stuff will be moved from town to town, and how to get home from the finish. For everything else just let go, ride the wave, and have fun. If you feel like riding to Hawarden go ahead and do it. If you get to Orange City and something else comes up just roll with it. It is all good.

Profile photo of Carl
Carl Anderson, May 23, 2017 at 6:35 pm

To W Fanning, just look me up my picture is pretty much how I look. I carry a Iowa map with me when I ride, as I do not like riding major highways. I am one of those type of riders that would rather go gravel or go 5 miles out of my way to not ride a major Highway. Ragbag goes through Britt, is only 11 miles from the town I live in. which is Kanawha. We have lots of big Tractors to be aware of. also lots of semi feed trucks. This area has lots of hog confinement and chicken barns here as Iowa is the largest producer of hogs in the nation. So I dress to be seen and also since I was raised on a farm, I am courteous to the people that grow the food and meat I eat.

Profile photo of Amanda
Amanda, May 25, 2017 at 7:59 am

This is what John posted on another post:
Keep checking he Orange City RAGBRAI website for an official route from Carr’s Landing in Hawarden to Orange City. We do not plan on providing a shuttle to the Big Sioux, but will provide information on the safest route to travel (it is exactly 31 miles from Carr’s Landing to the main campsite by this route).
Orange City also plans on providing a unique tire dipping option, by trucking in water from the Missouri River and putting it in our windmill lined canal in Windmill park downtown, and letting riders dip in the canal. Will make for an awesome picture to start RAGBRAI! People seem to love this idea, and we’re excited to offer it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012