• Profile picture of Sheldon
    active 22 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Frank
    active 24 minutes ago

heat exhaustion again

(16 posts) (14 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago by zabo
Latest reply from TomBleck 2 months, 2 weeks ago

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr Thomas TomBleck 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

I am extremely light skinned and am incredibly susceptible to heat exhaustion. I had it in 2012 (understandably, but not a severe case). 2013 was pretty okay and 2014 was better..almost perfect. Bailed out last year in Cedar Falls with a temperature that gradually rose to 103 after a few hours after arriving home.The weather was much cooler last year and I was religious about drinking water (with occasional Gatorades mixed in). I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have tried an abundance of water, Gatorade and pickles (but admit that I couldn’t find a darn pickle last year, though). I don’t drink alcohol or soda.

Being my own worst enemy…IF I ride this year, I am going to pack cold packs and a thermometer (I know, pathetic). If anyone has had a similar experience, please share it. I am no stranger to long distances. The trails here are somewhat shady and I have zero problem on those. There is a lot of sun exposure on the Ankeny to Woodward trail and had a problem there on a mild, windy day. I talked to a doctor about it. He suggested a cool towel, but I think that there has got to be more to it.

• Profile photo of Dr Thomas
    TomBleck
  • You may need to make sure that you can sweat first.
    You will lose water two ways most just in the breath and with more exertion you will lose even more you lose heat this way also. Humans regulate body temp mostly by evaporation from the skin never wear cotton always something that wicks and dries.
    1 – 1.5 Lt of water per hour is a good starting point for hydration and check by monitoring the urine output 16-30 second stream and clear if you don’t take a multivitamin. Ice in a one qt. baggy makes a good ice pack add put it in a bib or in the center pocket of your top and it will cool your core and when you need rest rest in the shade.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago ago #1228633

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy