RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

History Map?

(24 posts) (11 voices)
Started 1 year ago ago by Clayhill
Latest reply from thangamalang 11 months, 4 weeks ago ago

Clayhill
  • I cannot find the RAGBRAI “history map.” There always was a map that had each town which had been a host town in the past (the more times, the bigger the circle representing the town). Is it still here? Cannot find it. I’m not talking about the host town grid – I’m trying to find the history map.

Posted 1 year ago ago #552919

“Bicycle Bill”
  • And even the host town grid is not displaying properly.  It comes up (at least for me) with the right-side portion hidden by the “advertisement/latest blog posts/latest video/find us socially” nonsense and no way to remove that.

Absolutely no disrespect intended to TJ because I’m sure it’s not his doing, but to say the least I am becoming more and more disappointed/dissatisfied with the nuts-and-bolts of this website, especially since I can remember how it was a few years back when Dave Harrenstein was the moderator/webmaster/whatever.  The site had a different type of format with fewer popup/mouseover ads, things were still easy to find, and the forum was using something along the lines of phpBB software (see this example — http://le-chat-house.info/BBS/index.php — from another forum I post to).  One could post but still had the ability to go back and correct mistakes, and it was easily searchable besides.

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year ago ago #553005

ts
  • Something has been fixed since yesterday since the map now works in the original page. Thanks to whoever did that.

While we’re on the subject, if any WebPersons responsible for this site are reading this, could you set up a category for “Site Suggestions” or something like that. I hate to complain, but this site does suffer issues from time to time and perhaps the contributors to this forum can help by reporting issues when they encounter them. I would like to seed the category with my pet peeve: “Quote”. I can’t remember the last time that the Quote link in forum entries actually worked. It’s been years, literally. It seems like a small thing, but it really enhances the readability of conversations in the forum.

Posted 1 year ago ago #553315

David
  • iceman did you see the link in my post? It has the history map. The main issue with it is the last 2 years haven’t been added.

Posted 1 year ago ago #553318

ts
  • Iceman: I navigated “RAGBRAI Home”->”The Ride”->”General”->”RAGBRAI History”->History map: See which towns have hosted RAGBRAI the most and when”. This took me to http://ragbrai.com/data/history/ragbrai-route-history.php, which is the same link that David posted earlier. It works for me in Chrome 28.0.1500.95 and Firefox 12.0 on Windows. As David mentioned, it only goes through 2011.

Posted 1 year ago ago #553606

Davy Sprocket
  • I looked at the history link last night and could have sworn that in 2005 we went LaMars, Sheldon(storm) Northwood, etc., but it doesn’t even list Northwood as a overnight in the last 15-years. Maybe I just crashed and hit my head. Maybe I just crashed and hit my head. Maybe I just crashed and …

Davy

Posted 1 year ago ago #553826

Davy Sprocket
  • Hey, I just re-checked and found that year. I swear it was not there this morning. I must have crashed and hit my head.

Davy

Posted 1 year ago ago #553836

Clayhill
  • Davy – LeMars is fine with me for a starting point in 2014 although I think Rock Rapids might be more likely. And I just don’t see how they would pick an ending town further north than Guttenberg. I’ve never been to Guttenberg – but it looks pretty small. What’s the attraction? I just don’t want to go back to Dubuque if they cannot do any better directing traffic than they did a couple of years ago – that was horrible although the town seemed ok.

Posted 1 year ago ago #563572

Davy Sprocket
  • Iceman,
    Guttenberg is small, but quaint. Honestly, it seemed like it had more to offer as an end town than Ft. Madison. FT.M was DEAD!!!! Two restaurants in town is embarrassing. I don’t care where we ride as long as it is more that 40 miles outside the dang I-80 corridor. We have ridden that corridor the last 6-years and I am really tired of it. Let’s go way south or way north. I mean border north or border south.

Davy

Posted 1 year ago ago #563816

jwsknk
  • Ft. M we loaded at a bar (old button factory among other formet lives and had a dock for barges) about 3 blocks from the dip site.it was skunks and another team from burlington. Beer garden, band outside, food vendor truck and inside service. Thought the place would have been busier. We were only there from3-5

Posted 1 year ago ago #563820

Davy Sprocket
  • jwsknk: Thought the place would have been busier. We were only there from3-5

Hey Skunk,
    We didn’t ride into Ft.M until about 4:15p and the shop was pretty much rolled up. We spent the night in Ft. M planning on a dinner in town and camping at the DMR campgrounds. We were seriously disappointed in the 2 restaurants and the campgrounds 2 miles outside of town. While the camp group of maybe 40-50 was fun, I expected more. TJ said that normally there are several hundred that spend the night in the end town, but obviously, it depends on the quality of the end town.

Maybe next year.

Davy

Posted 1 year ago ago #563821

Clayhill
  • Davy – I’d love a far north, border hugging route. I doubt they will do a far south route, at least this forum in prior years has doubted it.

Posted 1 year ago ago #564416

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy