• Profile picture of Brett
    active 3 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Bill
    active 13 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of Lindsey
    active 20 minutes ago
  • Profile picture of David
    active 20 minutes ago

How would Lance Armstrong be recieved at RAGBRAI?

(91 posts) (34 voices)
Started 3 years, 11 months ago by Ed Kanitra

This topic contains 90 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill" “Bicycle Bill” 3 years, 9 months ago.

In a positive manner, in light of all his work in fighting to raise money for the fight against cancer? Or negatively as someone who cheated in the sport we all love and then tried to manipulate people to cover up his actions?

As I see it: Sometimes bad people do good things, and good people do bad things. Whether Lance is good or bad is not to be decided by me, but the work of Livestrong certainly deserves to be acknowledged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISrrME0Aaw

• Profile photo of Ed Kanitra
    Ed Kanitra
  • In a positive manner, in light of all his work in fighting to raise money for the fight against cancer? Or negatively as someone who cheated in the sport we all love and then tried to manipulate people to cover up his actions?

As I see it: Sometimes bad people do good things, and good people do bad things. Whether Lance is good or bad is not to be decided by me, but the work of Livestrong certainly deserves to be acknowledged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISrrME0Aaw

Posted 3 years, 11 months ago ago #456458

• Profile photo of Thomas
    ott2000
  • I think if he asks OPRAH for forgiveness all will be fine.
    LOL

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468324

• Profile photo of shaniko
    shaniko
  • It’s one thing if he cheated, but the way he went after “Friends and teammates” that spoke out and told the truth is really bad. Plus he won a libel suit against a British newspaper/tabloid, wonder if he will have to pay that back or the USPS who sponsered him, they really need the $$$$, ha.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468326

• Profile photo of Brian
    flyinbrian
  • I cannot believe the reaction. I don’t care that he slapped his name on an anti-cancer charity. That doesn’t make him a good person. I’ve lost family to cancer and have family that are survivors. What he “did” for Livestrong doesn’t matter to me. What matters to me is that he has no character. He lied. He cheated. He stole victories. He bullied people. I’m sorry, y’all, I’d heckle his ass. What a scumbag he is. The things he did to others to achieve his glory are disgusting.

I myself would like to see the greatest American rider of all time, Greg LeMond, on Ragbrai.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468328

• Profile photo of BillDana
    BillDana
  • After Oprah comes the book tour “Anything to Win”, or how I was forced into a life as a cheater. Just another payday!

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468330

• Profile photo of James
    SFC JKL2
  • An evil rich guy is punished and cycling gets a decade of “nobody wins”. A great day for liberal America.

I heard Roger Banister was a juicer. Could we get him stripped of the four minute mile next? That would do wonders for our country’s self esteem….

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468331

• Profile photo of shaniko
    shaniko
  • Radio station just played a montage of Lance Armstrong denying doping allegations through the years, hard to believe how far it all goes back, to the late 90’s.

Favorite one is on Larry King Show: “Why would I dope, after all the cancer treatments and such, why would I put that stuff back in me?”….

For only having one left, he sure uses it well.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468386

• Profile photo of WILLIAM
    Sandaltan
  • This looks like a win for both Lance and Oprah, a brilliant PR moment for them both.
    I wonder if Oprah would hold my hand and look sympathetic if I told her that I really did not write that poem in American Writer’s class…that is was written by my friend Mary Alice??? Maybe that would be a good time for me to fess up to the $500 I won in Reno back in ’92 and did not report to the IRS??

RIDE RIGHT Yeah, I would like to see Pete Rose in the Baseball Hall of Fame, the guy was a real ballplayer!!!

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468461

• Profile photo of Davy Sprocket
    Davy Sprocket
  • Okay, gang. Hypothetically,

What if Lance admits to using PEDs, but not ILLEGAL PEDs? Perhaps he used an unidentified substance that has not been tested for yet which would explain never testing positive, but showing some symptoms consistent with PEDs. Maybe money bought him science.

What then? Did he cheat? Hmm??

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468462

• Profile photo of indianafrank
    indianafrank
  • If I could ban words, the first phrase I would ban this year would be human garbage. I’m personally pretty sick of the hyperbolic, self-righteous ranting already. I wonder whether people hold the same vitriolic hatred for all the other winning pros of the last 25 years who were caught doping, including Merckx. Just remember, after Armstrong was stripped of his titles, the tour decided they wouldn’t name any new winners because everyone close to the top was also doping.
    But I don’t think we have to worry about Armstrong showing up at Ragbrai. He’ll ride by himself, the way most of us do.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468479

• Profile photo of Frisky77
    Frisky77
  • Good thing its a free country and you don’t have the right to ban words. Because I couldn’t think of a more apt description for this person. I don’t think he is garbage for cheating. However if any of the other “winning pros” from the past twenty-five years tried to ruin as many lives as Armstrong did I will call that person the same thing. So yes, its more so the bullying that leads to my description. Did you bother to read the article about what he did to Emma O’Reilly? Do you have any sympathy for her or only sympathy for how her perpetrator is being called out on a message board?

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468480

• Profile photo of ts
    ts
  • Personally, I would not welcome Lance unless he gave assurances that he was totally clean of PEDs. RAGBRAI is not the place for anyone using performance enhancing drugs. Performance reducing drugs, on the other hand, are not only welcome, but almost required. I would be happy to buy Lance a beer as a way to start him down the path to redemption.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468500

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider
  • I don’t believe Lance is relevant to RAGBRAI! I was there in 2006 & 2007 when Lance rode. His presence did little except to increase the crowds!!! Let Lance get acceptance & his publicity someplace else!!!!!

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468501

• Profile photo of Jboz
    Jboz
  • I would welcome Emma O’Reilly on RAGBRAI. With open arms. And I would buy her a beer. I would even let her massage my aching quads.

Posted 3 years, 10 months ago ago #468502

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2016 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy