RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

How would Lance Armstrong be recieved at RAGBRAI?

(91 posts) (34 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra

Ed Kanitra
  • In a positive manner, in light of all his work in fighting to raise money for the fight against cancer? Or negatively as someone who cheated in the sport we all love and then tried to manipulate people to cover up his actions?

As I see it: Sometimes bad people do good things, and good people do bad things. Whether Lance is good or bad is not to be decided by me, but the work of Livestrong certainly deserves to be acknowledged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISrrME0Aaw

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #456458

mootsman
  • I’d welcome him. He did great things for cycling & cancer research that were not taken away with his jerseys. Besides, just about everyone doped. It was part of the pro-cycling culture.

Also, don’t bug him about what happened. Personally, I’d offer to buy him a beer for all he’s done to say thanks.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #456459

Sandaltan
  • With open arms on my part. I have no problem with the seven yellow jerseys hanging on his wall.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #456810

Amanda
  • I would let him buy me a beer…

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #456894

Davy Sprocket
  • I think he would be received like a rock star by 95% of the folks.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #457137

murphymp
  • I think 99% would treat him like a rock star. I think everything he has done for cancer research outweighs what he did on the tour.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #457147

“Bicycle Bill”
  • And when you get right down to it, he still never failed a drug test.  He was charged, tried, and convicted by a witch-hunting organization — an organization that didn’t even exist at the time some of the alleged offenses occurred — on the basis of testimony from people who were of questionable credibility themselves, inasmuch as many of them were admitted dopers themselves and they received lenient sentences for their own offenses in return for their scripted statements.

To me, “Mellow Johnny” is still the TdF champion from 1999 thru 2005, and he can draft off me any time. :mrgreen:

-”BB”-

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #457445

Michrider
  • Beebs, Lance may not be in Iowa next July so, I’ll be glad to draft!!! off you as we cross Iowa!!!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #457834

Tony
  • I would enjoy his company. He’s welcome in my campsite.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #458059

RonB
  • Oh come on BB, you going to start this up again? Wasn’t it beat to death a few weeks ago? The dude did it. For pete’s sake, get over your man crush and move on!!

And to respond to the OP, I’d do just as I did on his first visit to Ragbrai in 2006, avoid him and his posse. Stop, move off the road, and watch him pass as he flys by. No impact to my ride at all.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #458132

Michrider
  • I was there in 2006 & subsequent years when Lance made his appearances. I met him in 2006. Now, I’m just disappointed and don’t care one way or the other. However, I would drink a Budweiser with him (if he’s buying)!!!! Princess Amanda, I’ll buy you beer!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #458400

Michrider
  • I was there in 2006 & subsequent years when Lance made his appearances. I met him in 2006. Now, I’m just disappointed and don’t care one way or the other. However, I would drink a Budweiser with him (if he’s buying)!!!! Princess Amanda, I’ll buy you beer!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Avatar of Michrider Michrider.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Avatar of Michrider Michrider.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #458401

raptor7
  • Sports figures who have or have been accused of dopping are villified and have their titles, medals, or records removed, except for baseball players who only get an asterisk by their record books. But entertainers and singers who dope, OD on dope, brag about their dopping on tv interviews are glorified. Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, Jimmy Hendrick, Janis Joplin, Whitney Houston, a few of the OD’ers. These are but a small number of the one’s glorified, and still honored by TV specials and many other ways.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #458411

SFC JKL2
  • He’s welcome to ride with me any time he wants. I’ll even let him juice if it will help him keep up. :wink:

It’s a ride, not a race. I don’t see him spending much time in France next year so he should be able to ride the whole week this time.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #459808

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy