The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

How would Lance Armstrong be recieved at RAGBRAI?

In a positive manner, in light of all his work in fighting to raise money for the fight against cancer? Or negatively as someone who cheated in the sport we all love and then tried to manipulate people to cover up his actions?

As I see it: Sometimes bad people do good things, and good people do bad things. Whether Lance is good or bad is not to be decided by me, but the work of Livestrong certainly deserves to be acknowledged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISrrME0Aaw

90 Replies

Profile photo of Thomas
ott2000, January 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I think if he asks OPRAH for forgiveness all will be fine.
LOL

Profile photo of shaniko
shaniko, January 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

It’s one thing if he cheated, but the way he went after “Friends and teammates” that spoke out and told the truth is really bad. Plus he won a libel suit against a British newspaper/tabloid, wonder if he will have to pay that back or the USPS who sponsered him, they really need the $$$$, ha.

Profile photo of Brian
flyinbrian, January 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I cannot believe the reaction. I don’t care that he slapped his name on an anti-cancer charity. That doesn’t make him a good person. I’ve lost family to cancer and have family that are survivors. What he “did” for Livestrong doesn’t matter to me. What matters to me is that he has no character. He lied. He cheated. He stole victories. He bullied people. I’m sorry, y’all, I’d heckle his ass. What a scumbag he is. The things he did to others to achieve his glory are disgusting.

I myself would like to see the greatest American rider of all time, Greg LeMond, on Ragbrai.

Profile photo of BillDana
BillDana, January 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm

After Oprah comes the book tour “Anything to Win”, or how I was forced into a life as a cheater. Just another payday!

Profile photo of James
SFC JKL2, January 14, 2013 at 10:39 pm

An evil rich guy is punished and cycling gets a decade of “nobody wins”. A great day for liberal America.

I heard Roger Banister was a juicer. Could we get him stripped of the four minute mile next? That would do wonders for our country’s self esteem….

Profile photo of shaniko
shaniko, January 15, 2013 at 6:14 am

Radio station just played a montage of Lance Armstrong denying doping allegations through the years, hard to believe how far it all goes back, to the late 90’s.

Favorite one is on Larry King Show: “Why would I dope, after all the cancer treatments and such, why would I put that stuff back in me?”….

For only having one left, he sure uses it well.

Profile photo of WILLIAM
Sandaltan, January 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

This looks like a win for both Lance and Oprah, a brilliant PR moment for them both.
I wonder if Oprah would hold my hand and look sympathetic if I told her that I really did not write that poem in American Writer’s class…that is was written by my friend Mary Alice??? Maybe that would be a good time for me to fess up to the $500 I won in Reno back in ’92 and did not report to the IRS??

RIDE RIGHT Yeah, I would like to see Pete Rose in the Baseball Hall of Fame, the guy was a real ballplayer!!!

Profile photo of Kent
Davy Sprocket, January 15, 2013 at 9:04 am

Okay, gang. Hypothetically,

What if Lance admits to using PEDs, but not ILLEGAL PEDs? Perhaps he used an unidentified substance that has not been tested for yet which would explain never testing positive, but showing some symptoms consistent with PEDs. Maybe money bought him science.

What then? Did he cheat? Hmm??

Profile photo of Frisky77
Frisky77, January 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

To answer the question posed by this topic I for one could care less how this piece of human garbage would be received on Ragbrai. As for the Oprah interview this is just another example of what a coward this man is. Instead of facing the music to maybe a 60 Minutes or even better, an interview with the newspaper that he sued for libel, he is going for the predictable soft-pedal, weepy Oprah thing. Weak.

But I guess we’ll wait and see if he owns up not just to the cheating (you have to be really blind to still think he didn’t cheat) but also to his other despicable acts, like suing and calling this poor woman a prostitute:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-aide-talks-of-doping-and-price-paid.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is all just really about him wanting to compete and make money again:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324734904578241801441261928.html

Profile photo of indianafrank
indianafrank, January 15, 2013 at 11:13 am

If I could ban words, the first phrase I would ban this year would be human garbage. I’m personally pretty sick of the hyperbolic, self-righteous ranting already. I wonder whether people hold the same vitriolic hatred for all the other winning pros of the last 25 years who were caught doping, including Merckx. Just remember, after Armstrong was stripped of his titles, the tour decided they wouldn’t name any new winners because everyone close to the top was also doping.
But I don’t think we have to worry about Armstrong showing up at Ragbrai. He’ll ride by himself, the way most of us do.

Profile photo of Frisky77
Frisky77, January 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

Good thing its a free country and you don’t have the right to ban words. Because I couldn’t think of a more apt description for this person. I don’t think he is garbage for cheating. However if any of the other “winning pros” from the past twenty-five years tried to ruin as many lives as Armstrong did I will call that person the same thing. So yes, its more so the bullying that leads to my description. Did you bother to read the article about what he did to Emma O’Reilly? Do you have any sympathy for her or only sympathy for how her perpetrator is being called out on a message board?

Profile photo of ts
ts, January 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Personally, I would not welcome Lance unless he gave assurances that he was totally clean of PEDs. RAGBRAI is not the place for anyone using performance enhancing drugs. Performance reducing drugs, on the other hand, are not only welcome, but almost required. I would be happy to buy Lance a beer as a way to start him down the path to redemption.

Profile photo of Michrider
Michrider !!!, January 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I don’t believe Lance is relevant to RAGBRAI! I was there in 2006 & 2007 when Lance rode. His presence did little except to increase the crowds!!! Let Lance get acceptance & his publicity someplace else!!!!!

Profile photo of James
Jboz, January 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I would welcome Emma O’Reilly on RAGBRAI. With open arms. And I would buy her a beer. I would even let her massage my aching quads.

Profile photo of Iceman
Iceman, January 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm

How would I receive Lance at RAGBRAI? With respect for an incredible athlete, but not with reverance or disdain. My disdain is reserved for the egocentric jerks at USADA.

We’ve all heard the cliche about “burning down the barn to get rid of the rats.” That’s what we have had here on the Lance deal. Yes, Lance doped. Yes, it was wrong. No, he does not deserve any favors or special treatment. But the extent to which USADA went to get him tells me there was another political agenda going on – I’d be curious to “know who they know.” And in the process, professional bike racing took a hit from which it will have a hard time recovering. USADA burned down the barn to get rid of the king rat and ironically I think they are the real villains here. Lance’s public career was pretty much over anyway by the time the USADA deal hit full force. They could have have cut a deal with him privately to effectively keep him from ever showing up again on any podium – as a participant or as an awards giver – and concurrently start up the mother of all drug programs for pro bike racing. But no – they chose to humiliate Lance in public (which alone would have been fine with me) but in the process they have totally screwed bike racing. Now we have seen long time sponsors like SaxoBank drop out. I expect more. How much will the viewership of the Tour drop this year, especially in North America? How many less Treks will be sold? How many local bike shops will be affected. USADA blew through all this with not a care in the world for the bike racing public which, ironically, they were supposed to protect. Lance started it but USADA finished it with a nuclear bomb that was just not necessary.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

Training

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Gatherings & Meetings

RAGBRAI XL – 2012