Forums

Forums Categories

Members

hwy 44

(27 posts) (11 voices)
Started 1 year, 10 months ago ago by daninboulder
Latest reply from Bill from Panora 1 year, 10 months ago ago

daninboulder
  • Hwy 44 from Missouri Valley to I think Panora via Harlan is a Scenic Byway, and I remember driving it and thinking what a great, really pretty road and wouldn’t it be awesome to bike it someday. Hope that’s the case this year!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471367

jwsknk
  • Think we might be on it for awhile in and out of harlan. Bet they get us off it at Gutgri Center or before. Oh Mockingbird Hill anyone? On f25 at Springbrook State Park about 6-7 miles west of Yale

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471461

daninboulder
  • hmmm. If the route goes near Yale, I can catch up to the masses via the Raccoon River Trail, ride to into Perry, then back to Waukee via the new segment. I think that day has to intersect the RRVT somewhere anyway. A few years back when Jefferson was
    an overnighter, we took the Trail up and it was a blast,

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471611

jwsknk
  • even if they run us up north through Cooper we cross the trail there. no avoiding it. Now more of what they said at the ride right meeting is making sense, like the Sergent saying not to use trails because they cant patrol them and no services available. but how’s that different than any other time people use the trails.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471614

daninboulder
  • agreed. I think the days before and after Perry are going to be very busy on the trail, which is fine with me, as I don’t know if I’ll have support. The Perry to DM day, one can bike the new portion of the Trail from Waukee to Perry, and join the route into DM. I think that sounds like a blast

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471616

jwsknk
  • can do trail all the way from Perry to riverfront downtown and probably avoid the roite completly, but I can do those trails anytime. Raccoon River Valley Trail, Clive Greenbelt, Walnit Creek, Bill Riley, Gray’s lake/meredith across the Raccoon by Sec Taylor then right across the Des Moines

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471618

daninboulder
  • that’s a good point, as I am moving to DM for the summer and will be doing those trails lots. I Know enough folks that I can probably get a ride on the route. The June 1 grand opening of the Loop is tops on my list

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471619

Dan in Iowa
  • I could pretty much guarantee we won’t be on 44 from Hiway 30. That stretch is narrow and busy! The last time I rode from CB to Harlan, we got on 44 off what’s called the Tenet road. 44 west of Portsmouth is just not good for cycling. I grew up in Harlan and live 35 miles from there now. I’m guessing we’ll go north into Irwin rather than 44 for very long. I’m just looking at the total miles for the day and straight across 44 would be short. Going through Guthrie and that killer hill my Spring Brook wouldn’t be out of the question!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471688

jwsknk
  • thinking maybe they will run us up north on N46 to Coon Rapids since it rained last time we went through and RAGBRAI “owes” them a do over and that could be the meeting town.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471698

Browner
  • I have in-laws in Guthrie Center. Not a lot of bike lovers in that town. And not in the lower half of Guthrie County in general. The feeling I get from the in-laws, is that Guthrie County is PO’ed that they have to support the maintenance of the RRVT. Chuck Offenburger has a similar opinion …

Offenbuger article on RRVT

But I’m sure they would not turn down the money that RAGBRAI would bring to the area. (And then complain to all the locals that will listen.)

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471755

Sandaltan
  • Thanks much for the link Browner. Offenburger is an Iowa Treasure.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #471773

• Avatar of Guthrie Center committee
    Guthrie Center committee
  • I cannot speak for Guthrie County however the City of Guthrie Center is looking forward to being a pass through community. The last time we were a pass through was in 2006. Since then we have redone all of our sidewalks and installed decorative lighting downtown. We are anxious for the pass through communities to be notified!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #473682

Michrider
  • Committee: “I cannot speak for Guthrie County however the City of Guthrie Center is looking forward to being a pass through community. The last time we were a pass through was in 2006. Since then we have redone all of our sidewalks and installed decorative lighting downtown. We are anxious for the pass through communities to be notified!

Committee, does that include new Kurbs?????

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #473683

• Avatar of Guthrie Center committee
    Guthrie Center committee
  • Yes we have new curbs throughout downtown too. Is there something we should be checking with our curbs? We just want the experience for all the riders to be a great one so if there is something we should be doing let us know!

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #473731

jwsknk
  • Michrider likes his budweiser whilst sitting on a kurb.

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago ago #473747

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy