RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

I love night riding

Just got in from an easy 20 mile ride, I love going out at night and getting the miles in. (I live right on the edge of the country, so I have good dark empty roads to ride). There is just something about how quiet it is, how even familiar roads seem different at night when it’s just you, your light, and that ribbon of road ahead of you.

How many of you enjoy the pleasures of night riding? I know I’m going to be getting a lot (if not most) of my weekday training in after dark.

Steve
Who DOESN’T glitter in the day light.

13 Replies

Csprint, March 20, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I enjoy night riding as well, particularly on the mountain bike. Either urban assault or real trail riding. I literally have been lost on Tulsa’s Turkey Mountain mountain bike trails (got turned around), even with my good Nightsun headlight. Urban riding is good fun, hopping off stuff, being out for hours and hours generally exploring places you bypass while out on the road bike. Now the battery needs to be rebuilt on the Nightsun so I haven’t been able to get out on the road much.

Corey

longrider42, March 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I also love night riding. I live in Cheyenne WY, that has a very nice greenway system. And in the summer I love going out on it. I can now ride about ten miles just on greenway, so I dont have to worry about cars.

Michrider !!!, March 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I also love night riding but I try to get mine in before it gets dark!!!!!

Ragbrai Nation, March 22, 2012 at 1:01 am

You can leave each day on Ragbrai before sunrise.

Ragbrai Nation, March 22, 2012 at 1:03 am

You can leave each morning on Ragbrai before sunrise. :idea:

Ragbrai Nation, March 22, 2012 at 1:03 am

Photobucket

Csprint, March 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

Since I’m on vacation I’d rather sleep in. 8)

knees36, March 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

In the 1980’s I worked two jobs and got off about midnight and would bike home on a country road using my big heavy bike light. That light is still around somewhere but I haven’t biked at night since then. I just bought a Night Rider 350 recently and will get back on the road to “night ride.” It was really neat back then…I would often see deer who didn’t seem to be shy about watching me up close (could get within maybe 50 feet of them with my light on.) Maybe the light transfixed them for a bit. Can’t wait to get out at night again. Cheers.

Anonymous, March 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

We have riders that want to sleep in on ragbrai and may not leave the overnight town UNTIL Noon!…they say that the food is cheap, (when they find it), the road is open, and then they ride in after dark.
I think they want the full effect with their lights on.

Pirate Brewer, March 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I just started riding at night again. The advances made with batteries and lights makes it easy to light up nice and bright. The big differences I notice with night riding is it is easy to ride beyond the view of the light spot when going down hills and it is difficult to tell when dogs are close (you hear they are around but cannot see them). However, night riding brings a new experience to even a route ridden a thousand times during the day. The trail rides at night, when alone, can be spooky in a fun way.

“Bicycle Bill”, March 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Early morning rides are nice, too.

-“BB”-

Satman, March 28, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’m not scared of the dark, but I am nervous about the roads. In my Detroit area, road problems are prevalent! With my so-so eyesight, I opt for daylight hours. BB; I like heading out just before sunrise also. I live along Lake St. Clair, and sunrise can be pretty spectacular, not to mention the lack of traffic.

ak2outside, August 17, 2013 at 1:41 am

I live in Alaska and we don’t have dark in the summer, so night riding is wonderful. It is common to see groups of cyclists at 3 am on training rides because of the cooler weather (mid-60s) and lack of autos on the roads.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters