RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Invisible Bike helmet.

(13 posts) (9 voices)
Started 5 months, 1 week ago ago by rjjensenia
Latest reply from Sandaltan 4 months, 3 weeks ago ago

“Bicycle Bill”
  • This is a solution for a problem that never existed.

I’m supposed to pay in excess of $500 to wear, regardless of weather conditions, a special gizmo around my neck like a padded Thomas collar?  And then, in case of an accident, I’m supposed to depend on some piece of computerized electronic wizardry to determine that I’m in danger and then allow it to initiate a controlled explosion — at head level, mind you — to create nitrogen gas to inflate this thing?  And there’s proof yet that this thing has even the chance of a snowball on a hot skillet of meeting the CPSC, let along the Snell, standards?

I can see so many things wrong with this, battery failure being only the first.  Computer sensor error causing inadvertent/unnecessary deployment; improper positioning on the rider himself (imagine what would happen if you turned that thing around 180°!); and the possible failure of the material of which the ‘air helmet’ is made to — it could just as easily burst during inflation or on impact.

No.  Just like you will not find any elliptical chainrings, electric motors, electronic shifting, or hydraulic brakes on any of my bikes, this is something that you will not be likely see around my neck either.

-”BB”-

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #657450

rjjensenia
  • An interesting novelty, but I agree with the points you made. This is VERY unlikely to ever catch on in any significant way.

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #658004

Paul
  • I suspect a hoax. I couldn’t find a single video clip showing a living person wear the thing while it is getting inflated.

The whole video seems to be trolling for reactions.

If it is real, imagine getting up after a wreck, dusting yourself off, and riding home wearing it.

If it is stylish, just wear it all the time for slips and falls.

See you on the ride….

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #658381

Dawn B
  • And could it withstand 100f temps, be soaked with rain/beer/sweat, and/or tornados to function when it’s needed?

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #658388

Sparkles
  • Will this deploy if you forget to unclip?

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #658660

SFC JKL2
  • I can’t stand to wear a camelback and now you want me to put on a horse collar?

No thanks.

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #658687

Michrider
  • Damn Beebs, I thought for sure you’d be sporting one of these on RAGBRAI this year, LMAO!!!!!

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #659326

Sandaltan
  • So….you pack your inflatable helmet in your checked luggage for the flight to Iowa, land in say….Omaha, deplane and as you wait at the luggage carousell for your bag you see a bag similar to yours with a large bulge in it. Oh Crap, it is yours!! But wait, as you claim your bag four stern looking people in blue uniforms ask you to accompany them down the hall where they say they have “a couple of questions”. Double Oh Crap!!! Well, you knew it would be trouble to take it as a carry on but you thought this would be better.

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 5 months, 1 week ago ago #659327

Michrider
  • SFC JKL2: I can’t stand to wear a camelback and now you want me to put on a horse collar?
    No thanks.

Not you SFC JKL2 but I’d love to see Beebs wear one of those “horse collars”!!!!!

Posted 5 months ago ago #662081

Sandaltan
  • Say hello to the Bond Girls for me Here4TheRide!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago ago #671740

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy