Forums

Forums Categories

Members

Iowa law would make drivers give cyclists more space

(17 posts) (10 voices)
Started 1 year, 7 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from jwsknk 1 year, 6 months ago ago

CyclingRoberto
  • We have a “four-foot law” here in PA. Unless the LEO’s are willing to enforce it, the distance may as well be an inch as a mile. The only citation I’ve heard of in over a year was issued to a motorist after killing a cyclist.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477179

Ed Kanitra
  • I will honestly say that I have only had one close call, which is ironic given that most NJ drivers are a******s!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477180

CyclingRoberto
  • I’ve been hit Ed, and I’ve had many friends hit, club members die, so it’s a reality. Nearly 700 per year in the USA are struck and killed while cycling. If that many people were dying in elevators, it would be front page news.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477297

ts
  • We have had a 3 foot law here in CO for about a year and a half, and I honestly can’t see that it’s made any difference. I doubt if many non-cyclists know about it. In general, most motorists here are courteous enough, but I try not to give any of them a chance at me if I can help it. All it takes is one.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477306

KC
  • Unless the law passes and is coupled with a massive promotional campaign to let motorists (and law enforcement officers) know about it, it won’t do any good. We have a 3-foot law in GA, but only cyclists seem to be aware of it. As with most cyclists, I’m sure, I’ve had a couple close calls and numerous people tell me to get out of the road (and believe me, I stick as far to the right as possible as much as possible and even tend to stick to less traveled country roads). Worst yet, though, I’ve had a law enforcement officer tell me there is no such thing as a 3-foot rule in GA. It’s kind of hard to enforce a law if you don’t know about the law, I suppose.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477374

Clayhill
  • Texas would have had a 3 or 4 foot law several years ago. That idiot Rick Perry vetoed after the legislature passed it . And he says he is a biker!

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477376

ts
  • “Texas would have had a 3 or 4 foot law several years ago. That idiot Rick Perry vetoed after the legislature passed it.”

He probably thought it had something to do with the metric system.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477475

Ed Kanitra
  • CyclingRoberto: I’ve been hit Ed, and I’ve had many friends hit, club members die, so it’s a reality. Nearly 700 per year in the USA are struck and killed while cycling. If that many people were dying in elevators, it would be front page news.

I hope you realize that I was NOT making light of the situation! I was simply stating a fact that I have been very lucky.

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477553

Ed Kanitra
  • Bicycle Friendly State Program ranks states annually based on their level of bike-friendliness. States receive feedback, technical assistance, training and further encouragement to improve their bicycling legislation, projects, and programs.

Bicycle Friendly States

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago ago #477554

Tsnap Xip
  • I’ll take any law that gives me or my cycling friends a safer environment in which to cycle, even if it’s only a 1% increase in survival.

Cycling Roberto, same here, 4 guys I know of dead from being hit while riding. One was one of my best friends.

The 3ft or 4ft law doesn’t stop the insane bike haters, but it could just give the reasonable drivers another reason to swing wide when passing.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #478752

jake d
  • I agree 100% Tsnap. The idiots are always going to be just that. It’s the majority of responsible motorist that maybe haven’t looked at it from the cyclist point of view that these laws will have the greatest impact.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #478762

CyclingRoberto
  • OK, there are benefits to the law. I called the local school bus company to inform their dispatcher that the law allowed school buses to cross the yellow line to comply with the four-foot law. I’m happy to tell you that school buses have given me noticeably more room. In addition, if you are the victim of an impact with a motorist, you can use the law to help recover damages. However, in most cases, the average motorist is unaware of the law. Posting “Share The Road” signs doesn’t do the job. Only 20% of signs get read in the first place. Public service announcements on TV and in the newspaper can get the message out once the law is passed. We haven’t seen that here in PA. Seems it should be part of the legislation.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #478822

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy