RAGBRAI XLII Countdown – July 20-26, 2014
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

Karras Loop

(30 posts) (19 voices)
Started 1 year, 4 months ago ago by Ed Kanitra
Latest reply from Danish Immigrant Museum 1 year ago ago

Ed Kanitra
  • What percent of the riders will do the century? I am torn as whether to do it or not, but am leaning towards doing it.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483819

Ken
  • Since it occurs on the second day this year and it occurs rather early in that day before weariness sets in, I suspect more will give it a go this year. Works for me anyway 8-)

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483825

CyclingRoberto
  • Always do the Loop. Best chance ever for a century, but watch the odometer, as the route isn’t always quite a 100 miles.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483829

schultz6
  • TJ said it will be 100-miles+ for the day if you ride the Loop. Definitely do it and don’t stop at the intersection where it starts. Just dive in. Actually, it was a great pleasure to get my photo taken with Karras last year on the Loop. 129-days away!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483844

Chris
  • The picture with Mr. Karras last year made that otherwise rough day so very worth it.

In general….I don’t know if I’ve seen solid statistics on how many do the Loop any given year. As Ken said, being that it’s early this year, we will likely have a lot more company on it than last year. Of course, if it’s a hot’n’windy one again, not so much.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483845

jwsknk
  • used to be almost 100%, you either rode the 100+/- mile day or sagged, then they made it optional.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #483911

Biscuits
  • I expect a greater percentage this year. The loop is on the second day and early in the ride. Fewer people will feel tired.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484088

tjdale
  • I was thinking the opposite. since the loop starts early in the day I was thinking less people would try it knowing they still had 3/4ths of the days ride ahead after completing the loop.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484233

buttercupdog
  • <span style=“font-size: large;”>[code title=""][code title=[/code]""]So doing it![/code]

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484285

iveaux3
  • Does anyone know how long the loop is this year?

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484389

Michrider
  • It’s a 83 mile day and the loop is 17 miles, more or less!!!!

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484395

Dan in Iowa
  • They said it would be over 100 if you do the loop. The loop alone is 25. It’s all very good roads, but hilly.

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago ago #484448

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy