RAGBRAI XLIII Countdown – July 19-25, 2015
Friends of RAGBRAI

Forums

kickstand?

(12 posts) (6 voices)
Started 1 year, 6 months ago ago by daninboulder
Latest reply from HillsAngels1 1 year, 6 months ago ago

daninboulder
  • howdy. Just bought a cyclocross bike with disc brakes, will be using it for touring and road rides, no cross.

I had an older type springed k/s but it won’t fit on the bike due to front deraillier(sp?) position.

Would a chainstay k/s be best? Any ideas/recommends? Thanks in advance

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473113

Michrider
  • A kickstand may damage your frame and might void any manufacturer’s warranty. Check with your local bike store. Proceed cautiously!

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473114

Ragbrai Nation
  • Check with manufacturer, Blue (800) 470-2606 to see if a kickstand accessory is available. If they don’t and ur still adamant on attaching one then re-read Michrider’s post. 8-O

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473176

Bobthebiker
  • If your question presumes that you need one to ride RAGBRAI, tain’t so. The vast majority don’t use one.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473348

daninboulder
  • no no I understand that, but I do like having one on my daily commuter. Actually getting a mirror prolly a bigger priority at this point, thanks

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473349

Tony
  • Always check with a bike shop about kickstands. If it is a carbon frame or carbon stays. The answer is going to be a definitive no. Same for aluminum frames. Frames designed for kickstands will have a mounting point between the bottom bracket and chainstays. There is a very good reason not to put kickstands on. Especially the chainstays. The kickstands attach with compression fittings. On carbon bikes the compress will cause micro cracks in the resin. The will eventually propagate into a catastrophic failure. On aluminum frames. The compression will deform the frame. New aluminum frames have very thin walls. They are thicker at the weld joints. To make the welds. Think of a pop can. It is strong when it shape is normal. Dent in the side and it can be crushed with ease. Chrom-moly frames in general can handle compression type mounts. But I still wouldn’t do it without checking with the dealer.

On RAGBRAI they put up long cables or ropes between tractors to hang your bike by its handle bars. You can lean it up against a building, tree, post, or Mich sitting at a curb. I some time use a rubber wristband to lock the front break on. then you can use about anything to lean your rear tire on. To park the bike.

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473351

daninboulder
  • all good points thanks folks. I’ll just make sure I keep a coupla ice cold Buds on hand so Mich will save me a seat on the curb, and invest in a good mirror. I can always throw it on my hitch rack to do some minor adjustments etc.at home

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473393

Michrider
  • Daninboulder: “all good points thanks folks. I’ll just make sure I keep a coupla ice cold Buds on hand so Mich will save me a seat on the curb, and invest in a good mirror. I can always throw it on my hitch rack to do some minor adjustments etc.at home.”

Now your talkin Dan! Your welcome to join me on any Kurb in Iowa, this July!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473419

daninboulder
  • thanks Mich! Actually I’m moving to WDM April or May, see you at the RRVT opening? Mullets? Cub’s game? It’s all good

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473420

daninboulder
  • West Des Moines (Clive actually) and I’ll be living right on the Raccoon River Valley Trail, and they are doing the grand opening of the Waukee via Dallas Center/Perry/Adel/Waukee 75 mile new paved loop. Big party in Perry June 1,and me and my biking buddies will def. be there

Posted 1 year, 6 months ago ago #473428

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy