Forums

Forums Categories

• Categories

• Topics

Members

Lansing

(76 posts) (29 voices)
Started 4 months ago by Michrider !!!

This topic contains 75 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Jeff Sanders 2 months, 1 week ago.

When I look at the Google map for Lansing IA, it looks like there is one 2 lane bridge. Sounds like getting out of town might be a problem. Anyone have info?

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • When I look at the Google map for Lansing IA, it looks like there is one 2 lane bridge. Sounds like getting out of town might be a problem. Anyone have info?

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202227

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • Yes, a two lane open deck bridge over the Mississippi. Unless it’s been rebuilt in the last 5 years. From what I heard the route comes in from the south, Vehicles on Highway 9 from the west. there is a 2-3 miles hill down towards Lansing then 2-3miles pretty flat to town and the river. It might be interesting to see some of the busses try to go back up that. it might be easier to head north to I-90 in Minnesota at la Cresent. pretty flat 25-30 miles.

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202240

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • edit 25-30 from New Albin, so add about 10 more for Lansing

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202245

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • wonder if the dip site is the Marina off of X42 and not downtown. Downtown I don’t know where they could do it.

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202247

• Profile photo of "Bicycle Bill"
    “Bicycle Bill”
  • There’s an area at the foot of Main Street, next to the River’s Edge bar and restaurant, where you could possibly set up a wheel-dipping site — but it’s a very narrow access point and the congestion during the latter part of the day could be significant.  The marina is a good possibility; there might also be some area a little further south of downtown as we come in on county road X52.

The bridge (the Black Hawk Bridge, named after Chief Black Hawk of the Sauk Indians) in Lansing is pretty much unchanged from when it was originally built in 1930-31 — two very narrow lanes and a sharp 90-degree turn at the bottom on the Iowa side to gain access to it.  It will get a lot of use, no doubt, but anyone heading into Wisconsin and points east will probably be better off going to La Crescent/La Crosse (roughly 35 miles north through New Albin IA and Brownsville MN on hwy 26) or backtracking up hwy 9 to Waukon and then going into Marquette/Prairie du Chien on hwy 76.

-“BB”-

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202313

• Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan Flugge
  • Wonder if it will be near the big new nature center that was just built south of town

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202383

• Profile photo of Geoff
    Groeny82
  • Looks like there is a good size boat access on L (Lansing Harper’s RD), by the corner of L and X52. Its a two lane boat access but the parking lot is a good size to handle a crowd. Only “problem” I see is that the lot is gravel. I can’t tell from Google Earth so maybe someone familiar with the area can help out, but if the bank is not steep or too rocky they could string the dip site from just north of that ball field all the way up to the marina. Just a thought.

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202407

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • There are railroad tracks between the road and the river to deal with. It seems like there were a lot of private docks and land and not much public access in town to the river.

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202436

• Profile photo of Ken
    KenH
  • If you take that bridge over the first channel of the River to the island on the east side of the channel there are a couple of potential dip sites on the island … which is in Wisconsin!

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202470

• Profile photo of Gene
    genefruit
  • In order to get anywhere near the feet of climb stated, I believe we’ll have to come in on Lansing Harpers Rd. rather than X52

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202571

• Profile photo of Michrider
    Michrider !!!
  • I’m wondering how difficult it will be to get out of Lansing on Saturday (driving to the East after RAGBRAI)!!!

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202610

• Profile photo of jim
    jwsknk
  • Michrider, try to park on the north end and leave to the north. That’s the most direct route to Interstate Highway (I-90) everything else is curvy 2 lane. Could cross the bridge and wind down through Wisconsin and Illinois to davenport, Some of that is a pretty nice road to Prairie du Chien where you get back into the hills. We did that side when we rode from NO to International Falls.

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202673

“Bicycle Bill”
  • Just remember — when you’re talking Lansing and NE Allamakee County you’re talking about what is familiar territory to me.

I make no guarantees or promises.  I’m not going to be able to pull any strings in Lansing to reserve you a good meeting point, f’rinstance, but I will note that if you intend to go north or east from Lansing that there are two or three roadside pull-offs within the first couple miles of highway 26 north of Lansing that would probably be a good meeting place for RVers or other small teams to gather and give you a clear shot to La Crescent/La Crosse where you can pick up I-90 or several other highways — but if you have specific questions about route options to get outta town or alternate locations to meet up and connect with your groups just drop me a message in the thread or a PM, or email me at ragbraivet at yahoo dot com.  I’ll draw on my vast store of knowledge to answer what I can; what I don’t know I will research as time permits and get back to you.

-“BB”-

Posted 4 months ago ago #1202853

• Profile photo of Gene
    genefruit
  • BB, any thoughts on where week long parking will be located?

Posted 4 months ago ago #1203168

“Bicycle Bill”
  • There’s an old Northern Engraving plant (which shut down in 2002) as well as the old Blumenthal Lansing plant (closed in April 2016) about a mile or so west of the downtown area just off highway 9.  I don’t know if anything is in those buildings currently; if not, the parking area(s) look like they could hold a hundred vehicles or so (more if they allowed parking on the grass and unpaved areas) and might be pressed into service.

There’s also a softball field a couple of blocks from the downtown area as one rides into town on X52, although I think they will want to leave that available so they can use it as the center of day-of-finish ceremonies and festivities.

Other than that, pickings will be very slim.

-“BB”-

Posted 4 months ago ago #1203704

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 RAGBRAI | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy